• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Toyota Prius: Major threat?

People are jealous, especially when they have to stuff another $100 in their gas tank.

Harry

Even at $3.50 a gallon gas is cheap. I can't see me giving up my pick-up truck for a Prius, or any other small car, well... ever. Certainly there is no envy of my part for those that choose to drive them. Enjoy your drive. :thumb

Even at $3.50 a gallon gas is cheap. I can't see me giving up my pick-up truck for a Prius, or any other small car, well... ever. Certainly there is no envy of my part for those that choose to drive them. Enjoy your drive. :thumb

I certainly do.

I should have mentioned in a previous post that others are driving down the same road as me and using 4 times as much gasoline. Little piggies pay at the pump!

Harry

Until I can get a Prius with a hitch and a towing capacity of 10,000lbs, I'll stick with my truck. It also incentivizes me to ride more often.

I certainly do.

I should have mentioned in a previous post that others are driving down the same road as me and using 4 times as much gasoline. Little piggies pay at the pump!

Harry

Only 4 times as much fuel???? Must be driving one of those econo trucks.

Only 4 times as much fuel???? Must be driving one of those econo trucks.

He was sending kind thoughts, hoping you were getting 12~13 MPG. Even at 20-mpg on a good day, I feel your pain, in a small way, with my Tacoma.

I certainly do.

Harry

Harry,

I think it's time for us to request a Prius topic area on the Forum. We seem to get a lot of traffic.

Jon

We have two vehicles, A Toyota Hybrid and a Ford v-8 Diesel. Does that make me a low-brow or a hydromechelectric engineer?

The Truck has no tailgate, doesn't run quite right, is a 4x4, over 13 years old, and hasn't been cleaned for over 2 years. Currently it has a snow-blower in the bed, and would have a plow, but frame for the plow in the truck got bent a couple of days ago....

The Toyota is a year old Avalon Limited Hybrid with every bell and whistle imaginable...and it gets really good mileage on Cape Cod.

Harry,

I think it's time for us to request a Prius topic area on the Forum. We seem to get a lot of traffic.

Jon

You already have a little piece of Paradise to talk Prius to your heart's content right here. Go crazy, and we'll see ya when you get back.

You already have a little piece of Paradise to talk Prius to your heart's content right here. Go crazy, and we'll see ya when you get back.

or priuschat.com - best of all, there are endless oil threads over there as well with UOAs and discussions about how Toyota's CVT fluid change intervals are optimistically long...

Bs

I have a Prius, 170,000 miles, most highway driving is 70+. Still get about 46 mpg, too. Not many have the patience for 'hyper miling' which might get you another 2 or 3 mpg. The Prius has more than enough power to keep up with traffic anywhere in the USA. You're probably more likely looking at younger drivers who, for whatever reason, have not been taught to keep right. This applies to bikers, too. Go find yourself another excuse for the rolling road blocks in your life.:brow

In some states driving in the right lane is not the law nor is it even encouraged. Many drivers have the attitude that they have every right to cruise in the left lane (they do) and happily do so no matter what. MN seems to be such a state in my experience.

I bought this house I live in 31 years ago. No insulation in the walls: insane in upstate New York with our winters. The furnace was horribly inefficient as well. I re-wired the house, had a contractor insulate the walls. I had another contractor install a high-efficiency forced-air furnace. I weather-stripped doors and windows. The heating bills when I first moved in were $300/mo. The woman selling the house couldn't afford to live in it. The heating bills the next winter dropped to $100/mo.

When I had siding put on the house recently, I had the old clapboards removed and 3/4" insulation board put around the whole house. Yes, I paid extra for that. My heating bills now for the coldest months are just under $100/mo. which is pretty darned good for this northern location.

So, anyone want to poke fun at me for having an energy-efficient house? No? Then why poke fun over an energy-efficient car? As a retired engineer, I value efficiency. Boeing builds energy-efficient airliners to compete. Steam engines were replaced by diesels, more efficient. Even with steam engines, a huge effort was made to make more efficient steam engines and locomotives over the years.

Efficiency is good. Money saved is tax free as well.

Harry

Harry, it's just good fun to pass the time while many people huddle in their energy efficient houses. Don't take it to heart.

A little sensitive, I see.............:)

Have you considered crowd sourcing the purchase cost of your truck's next tank of gas?

or priuschat.com - best of all, there are endless oil threads over there as well with UOAs and discussions about how Toyota's CVT fluid change intervals are optimistically long...

So, someone with the technical curiosity of Mr. Glaves would fit right in?

Sounds vaguely similar to this place.

A little sensitive, I see.............:)

Have you considered crowd sourcing the purchase cost of your truck's next tank of gas?

Sensitive??? Pish-posh, heavens to Betsey no. Just trying to be helpful.

I just make Prius and econo-box drivers fill my truck whenever they borrow it. :D

Prius and mini vans on any scenic road are a pain, ten to twenty below limit, never look to see the twenty plus cars backed up behind them

Back