Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Toyota Prius: Major threat?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Toyota Prius: Major threat?

Greetings all. I commute around 120 miles a day, on Hwy 101 and 1 here in Central Coastal California
    I have noticed a trend over the last 5 years and have been wondering if it's just me or is something up? It appears like 80% of the time, if there is a car holding up the smooth flow of traffic it will be a Toyota Prius. The most common scene being traffic will be flowing smooth around 75mph in the fast lane and "whammo" there is a Prius doing a steadfast 64MPH even though there plenty of room for slower travel in the right lane. This forces everyone else to use the right lane to get around with subsequent snarl and resultant danger. The scene of travel at 64mph in the right lane when traffic is flowing 65-70 in that lane and 75-80 in the fast lane seems to occur pretty often as well. I've been calling it "Prius Syndrome". Am I alone in this observation? What could be wrong with these folks? I postulate these folks are intent on watching the fuel economy gauge which drops dramatically over 65mph or during acceleration and not watching the road. Check it out next time your out in commuterland.
    Will Stagg Central Coast of Commiefornia
    2015 F700GS
    Yamaha TW200 adventure bikes (multiple offender)

TravelsWithBarley.com
    I'd never noticed that! Wow, you might really be on to something!
    '12 R1200GSA for solo rides
    '10 R1200GSA with Hannigan dual sport sidecar for rides with Tulliver

http://travelswithbarley.com/

2015 R1200GS Adventure

Quote Originally Posted by kurt1305 View Post

I have a different term for it but I might get booted for posting it.
    Brian
    White Bear Lake
    Minnesota
    2014 BMW K1600 GTL Exclusive

Germany has a great law that I'd like to see put into effect here:

If you are in the left lane on an Autobahn, and you are hit in the arse, it's automatically your fault.

And yes, in the midwest we are also affected with the "Prius Syndrome"
    I never really considered that it would be possible to despise a perticular automobile.... but I'm getting there!

Every time I see one on the road it makes my blood pressure rise, no matter what lane they are in!

Ken
    IBA #44567 Pres. Springfield BMW Roadriders
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    -Albert Eienstein

Here in Western New York it's called Prius driving syndrome, or PDS. It's especially annoying on a two lane road with no passing, when the Prius driver attempts to accelerate after a stop sign or red light without having the gasoline engine cut in. It may take them half a mile or more just to reach 30 mph.
    Karl
    2007 R1200ST

Quote Originally Posted by Ken F View Post

If you are in the left lane on an Autobahn, and you are hit in the arse, it's automatically your fault.

And yes, in the midwest we are also affected with the "Prius Syndrome"
    I never really considered that it would be possible to despise a perticular automobile.... but I'm getting there!

Every time I see one on the road it makes my blood pressure rise, no matter what lane they are in!

Ken
    There are quite a few laws about driving in the left lane of the autobahn -

• slower traffic keep right
    • never pass on the right
    • use your turn signals to indicate a lane change
    • it illegal to run out of fuel on the autobahn
    • if there are three lanes, trucks cannot drive in the left hand lane
    • it is illegal to back up on the autobahn

- but I have never heard the one about getting hit in the rear. I lived in Germany for four years. I had to take a written and sign identification test twice. I never heard of that rule. It could be a new rule. Things change . . . but not very often in Germany.

There is a failure to use right lane law. As of 2014, if you are ticketed it will cost you 80 Euros.

I drive a lot around Palo Alto. I have never been slowed down by a Prius.
    2015 R nineT

Quote Originally Posted by Ken F View Post

Not even close.

You've been hanging around forums too much.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kurt1305 View Post
    Hyper-miling is the term for it.
    I didn't know about this syndrome.........I have kinda noticed the owners who drive 'em though. It seems that there is a Tutorial on how to drive like there is no one else on the road complete with "drafting" instructions
    Small vehicles drafting large vehicles- Prius or motorcycle to a tractor-trailer is a very bad idea.
    While the road is everybody's place to drive, I am completely aware that no good comes from someone intentionally driving "out of the pattern".
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    I didn't know about this syndrome.........I have kinda noticed the owners who drive 'em though. It seems that there is a Tutorial on how to drive like there is no one else on the road complete with "drafting" instructions
    Small vehicles drafting large vehicles- Prius or motorcycle to a tractor-trailer is a very bad idea.
    While the road is everybody's place to drive, I am completely aware that no good comes from someone intentionally driving "out of the pattern".
    OM
    Love the tips at the end.."avoid annoying your passengers with hypermilling practices" Change it to fellow drivers.
    My sis-in-law recently joined the club...have not ridden with her, but she seems to drive it like the non fuel saving bunch according to H.
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

We have to deal with the same crap here in Pa. IMHO they should not even be on the road

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    OM
    I don't draft anyone in my Prius. I don't have to. I easily get 50+ mpg in anything above 50F so why would I tailgate anyone? And that happens to be my pet peeve: tailgaters.

Calm down, people, the Prius won't take away your precious gas-guzzling V-8. Sheesh.

Harry
    My fleet: 2015 R1200GS, 2017 Toyota Prius Prime (plug-in hybrid)

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AKsuited View Post
    I don't draft anyone in my Prius. I don't have to. I easily get 50+ mpg in anything above 50F so why would I tailgate anyone? And that happens to be my pet peeve: tailgaters.

Calm down, people, the Prius won't take away your precious gas-guzzling V-8. Sheesh.

Harry
    I'm calm- no worries- don't care what anyone drives......and now that I think about it- I don't even own a V8. I do notice that the Prius drivers don't seem to "enjoy the ride" the way someone in say, a Porsche or a Jeep do. Probably a great car to park in the city.
    If I was looking for a new car- on the small side, it would still have to make me smile when I drive it- perhaps a Ford Focus RS
    OM
    Edit, had to look in the yard again.....yep, surenuf there is a V8.......a rather snotty 8.1- that's 496 cubes
    Last edited by Omega Man; 02-07-2015 at 06:18 PM. Reason: found V8 in yard
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

There they are!
    2015 R1200GS Adventure

NYrider
    That's not my experience at all. I have noticed the opposite. I have been consistently surprised to see multiple times a Prius going very fast, very frequently, not blocking the fast lane. And no I don't own a Prius. But it's interesting to see different patterns in different places.
    NYrider