• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Long ride comfort

I had the same issue

Eric,

I also own a GTLE and had the same discomfort issue with the stock saddle. I tried an airhawk (still have it if you want to buy it from me for a discount) but found the saddle pad from Bill Meyer Seats (BMS) to be a much better solution. The airhawk was better than stock but for me BMS was a huge improvement. I swore I was going to send my saddle off to BMS this winter and have it re-done. Still may but he will be at the Rally and may have him do it there.

Here's what I'm talking about

http://billmayer-saddles.com/ergo/#ordernow

I have an AirHawk cushion and have used it on 4 of my bikes.

It helps improve comfort. It is important to follow their instructions and not over inflate the seat.

On the other hand, I have had equally good improvement using a beaded seat. And it is a greater improvement in hot weather.

When going on a longer trip where I ride 600-800 miles each day, I change what I sit on several times a day...usually when I refuel. I have used the AirHawk, beaded and original seat and find changing the pressure points and seating position every couple hours improves my comfort as the day grows longer.

When I am doing a local 2-6 hour ride with occasional stops, I use the beaded seat most often.

This has also helped with aftermarket seats on some of my machines.

I must be lucky.......
I find the stock Exclusive seat quite comfortable although a bit slippery.

Wondering if the different seat heights come into play on comfort level also.
I know a lot of guys on the K1600 forum have gone to aftermarket seats......quite a spendy proposition.

Many K1600 riders have decided to upgrade to a Russel Day Long (RDL) replacement. I personally still use my stock GTL seat, but I have heard many reports about the RDLs being the best option for the K1600s. He can re-cover your seat and keeps the heat option.

Many K1600 riders have decided to upgrade to a Russel Day Long (RDL) replacement. I personally still use my stock GTL seat, but I have heard many reports about the RDLs being the best option for the K1600s. He can re-cover your seat and keeps the heat option.

Sounds like RDL may also have a good match to the OEM seat color on the Exclusive. :thumb

Check out Laam seats in Redding,Ca. He does very good work and his prices won't break the bank. 530-282-5226

Check out Laam seats in Redding,Ca. He does very good work and his prices won't break the bank. 530-282-5226

THIS^^^ I have a Laam and a RDL, find the Laam every bit as long mile comfortable (tank to tank riding) as the RDL, without the height or movement penalty... seriously considering selling the RDL.

Airhawk worked wonders for me. I don't use it now because I find the RTW stock seat quite comfortable (who knew BMW could make a comfortable stock seat?). Bill Myers is a reputable saddle builder. His brother Rick appears to have fallen on hard times <a href:= "http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?72877/">Rick-Mayer-MIA-has-MY-seat-and-MY-money </a>. Be sure you know who you're dealing with.

Rick Meyer

I had Rick fit my wife and me on our 1600gt in st Paul last july. I had replaced the stock gt seat with a gtl seat. Paid him for it and sent it to him in early august. Took a bit over 2 months to get it back. Haven't used it on a long trip yet so can't really comment. It better be a big improvement though, what with all the crap he put me through........

Before spending money an a different seat, try this: Go to a sporting goods store and buy a pair of "compression shorts" to wear under your jeans in place of underwear. They make a a big difference (for me, at least) in comfort while riding. I can't explain the reasons why, but they just work. I think they help to keep more gluteus muscle under your bones. Anyhow $40 is a pretty low price for improving the ride. I can ride all day now without discomfort.

I have a GTL and have tried several seats,air hawk and padded bike shorts. Don't waste your time and money. Get your seat done by RDL. You will not regret it.

Glad I don't have an issue with the stock seat on the Exclusive.....
In fact I find it very comfortable.

Saves me a ton of $$ on a new seat.

There was a positive review of Moto Skivvies in a recent ON. It sounded like they might be a good comfort solution.

Seth Laam Seats

Did a ride in to Seth Laam seats Wednesday. 175 miles each way. On the ride up I had the airhawk. He built me a really quality seat. Seth took an inordinate amount of time to make sure the seat met my specific needs including not only comfort but making sure I could comfortably reach the ground on my GS. This is my second custom seat and the first from Seth. I was happy with the comfort of the first seat for my RT but the quality and comfort from this one is much better. I watched both of my seats being made and I can tell you that Seth is all about the quality and comfort. Not to mention he is a really nice guy and a joy to talk to. The ride home was much more comfortable. Used airhawk anyone?
Gail Miller

Good experience with Air Hawk

I originally purchased an Air hawk for my K1200GT. I had a custom seat put on by a prior owner and although it was very comfortable, my inseam was too short for the seat height. I purchased a Sargent low seat for the bike which was a great seat height for me but is was like riding on a hard plank. I had looked into getting another custom seat but the cost was a great inhibiter. My purchase of the Air hawk solved the problem. I could use my Sargent seat with the low seat height and ride all day in comfort. When I purchased my K1600GT last summer I put the low GTL touring seat on the bike and also used the Air Hawk. We gave it a good run from SW WA to the St. Paul Rally and my butt was never an issue in the length of the days. The key to the Air hawk is proper inflation. Also changes in temperature and altitude can effect inflation. Adjusting the inflation is easy and the principle cause of discomfort is over inflation. The only down size of the Air hawk is that I felt that I needed to put it in the rear case when the bike was left unattended for any length of time which just added an additional step to the ritual of securing the bike while touring. Given the cost of an aftermarket seat or a custom seat, it is worth trying before turning to more costly solutions. You may be pleased to find that this is all that you need. Dennis

The AirHawk was a great solution for me. In addition, it's a very cost-effective product compared to a new, after-market seat. The AirHawk comes in various styles and sizes and is easily adjustable, the most common mistake being inflating with too much air making it too full and stiff. The knowledgable people at White Horse Gear can give you more info and compare it to other available solutions.

Back