• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

How are the 2014 RT LC Holding Out With Long Touring Miles

Wethead

Interested in opinion from those who have put long touring miles on the new RTs. Any mechanical problems along the road?

Given the stop riding order, it was only last fall that most started accumulating miles. I guess unless they were not ESA versions.

I guess first question I would ask is well how many miles do you plan on putting on the bike. Did a 3000 mile trip in October without a hitch. Plan on a 5000
mile trip in June. I would expect this bike to hold up quite well over the long term.

Great

I completed a 2500 trip in October without a hitch. With all of the electronics and bluetooth, it's much more enjoyable than my previous RT. I'm confident in this bike and am planning a 50cc in March, we will see.

When was the last time you got in a late model low mileage car and wondered if it would make it OK on a trip going two or three states away? About 1950 maybe! So why would you wonder that about a new $20,000 motorcycle?

We will start to see a pattern of any weak spots when folks start to get 50 or 60 or 70 thousands of miles on a whole fleet of bikes. Until then individual failures may happen but the trends won't be apparent.

When was the last time you got in a late model low mileage car and wondered if it would make it OK on a trip going two or three states away? About 1950 maybe! So why would you wonder that about a new $20,000 motorcycle?

We will start to see a pattern of any weak spots when folks start to get 50 or 60 or 70 thousands of miles on a whole fleet of bikes. Until then individual failures may happen but the trends won't be apparent.

Great reply. The internet has a good side....and a bad side. Misinformation.

A bit less snarky. The R1200 Wethead has been around over two years now in the GS and GSA, as well as the RT. All share the same basic drivetrain. There are plenty 50K plus mile bikes out there with very very few major issues. There are a few minor ones like the switches, and a few melt downs, but overall the Wethead seems to be faring well.

I believe in it well enough that I just bought one for me!

IMG_8198.jpg

Jim :brow

A bit less snarky. The R1200 Wethead has been around over two years now in the GS and GSA, as well as the RT. All share the same basic drivetrain. There are plenty 50K plus mile bikes out there with very very few major issues. There are a few minor ones like the switches, and a few melt downs, but overall the Wethead seems to be faring well.

I believe in it well enough that I just bought one for me!

IMG_8198.jpg

Jim :brow

Beautiful bike Jim! My RTW is sittin' in the garage on a battery maintainer until this snow goes away. Then I'll ride again, even in low temps.

Back