• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

push rods

Of course, absolutely true - but it still provides a major clue if there's an issue.

rocker arm end play adjustment

i'm a new member with a 2002 r1150r with a question about the vale push rods. i think mine need examination for possible replacement. do i need to take the head off to do this or can i just access them once i take the valve cover off? i have adjusted the valves and they stay in adjustment but i still have that annoying valve sound that i would love to eliminate. thoughts? thanks.

well, i did it and it definitely makes a difference. quieter, less vibration and maybe a little perkier. thanks for all of the advice. it's not hard to do and if you want a nicer ride it's worth it.

Just adding a data point here. I swapped out the pushrods on my bike (142K miles) this past week. All 4 of them were loose on at least one end of the pushrod. Out of the 8 ends, 6 were loose enough to wiggle around with just my fingernails. Of the remaining 2 ends, one had much less wiggle and the other no movement at all. (Did not apply any tools, just checked them with my fingers)

Did not expect to find this. I wonder if my very spirited runs of late (last 5 years) hastened this kind of wear. Not that I would stop doing it [emoji6]300 mile loop strafing back roads as spirited as I can get away with, most weekends in season [emoji846] -lots of time in the upper rev range and aggressive downshifting.

We just picked up an early half foot of snow while I was doing this work, hopeful and anxious it clears up soon and can road test...

I wasn't particularly bothered by any noise (earplugs and in-helmet music) - Just chasing a super fine state of tune.

Took the time to better center the butterfly plate on the right side throttle body, after replacing the shaft earlier in spring. Could have been better. Rocker arm gaps were at min spec before i started (previously adjusted a long time ago) - and restored to same. Adjusted valves and balanced easily- both spot on and just right.

Really looking forward to the next ride... The tuning session in the garage was good and therapeutic. And I hope to be rewarded even more when I get it out on the road.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Pushrods

Just adding a data point here. I swapped out the pushrods on my bike (142K miles) this past week. All 4 of them were loose on at least one end of the pushrod. Out of the 8 ends, 6 were loose enough to wiggle around with just my fingernails. Of the remaining 2 ends, one had much less wiggle and the other no movement at all. (Did not apply any tools, just checked them with my fingers)

Did not expect to find this. I wonder if my very spirited runs of late (last 5 years) hastened this kind of wear. Not that I would stop doing it [emoji6]300 mile loop strafing back roads as spirited as I can get away with, most weekends in season [emoji846] -lots of time in the upper rev range and aggressive downshifting.

We just picked up an early half foot of snow while I was doing this work, hopeful and anxious it clears up soon and can road test...

I wasn't particularly bothered by any noise (earplugs and in-helmet music) - Just chasing a super fine state of tune.

Took the time to better center the butterfly plate on the right side throttle body, after replacing the shaft earlier in spring. Could have been better. Rocker arm gaps were at min spec before i started (previously adjusted a long time ago) - and restored to same. Adjusted valves and balanced easily- both spot on and just right.

Really looking forward to the next ride... The tuning session in the garage was good and therapeutic. And I hope to be rewarded even more when I get it out on the road.

I plan on inspecting mine this winter should I decide to pull the heads (2004 RT, 110k). Nothing really amiss as the bike runs fine, doesn't knock and is very, very quiet, but part of me needs to have projects. :)

Managed to squeeze in a couple hundred miles:

Bike runs fantastic. Don't think I've ever had it as smooth as it is in the 4-5K rpm range. Sublime.

I should call it good and leave it alone now- But I have a pair of lennie's sprockets that's been collecting dust for the past couple of years...

I should call it good and leave it alone now- But I have a pair of lennie's sprockets that's been collecting dust for the past couple of years...

A buddy of mine (trained mechanic) installed those sprockets on his 1100S. I could still pull him in top gear roll ons from 3,000 rpm up to 6500 rpm on my 1100S. Just sayin...

A buddy of mine (trained mechanic) installed those sprockets on his 1100S. I could still pull him in top gear roll ons from 3,000 rpm up to 6500 rpm on my 1100S. Just sayin...
All other things being equal; did he weigh a lot more than you do? [emoji6] Just clowning around.

I reckon it might work well for the style of riding that the bike is exclusively used for these days... 200-300 mile loops burning back roads.

All other things being equal; did he weigh a lot more than you do? [emoji6] Just clowning around.

Fair question, though. :thumb

He outweighed me by about 10 pounds including gear. My 1100 had ABS, the servo brake system and the stock exhaust while his was standard brakes and also had the cat removed. So at the end of the day, I was overall heavier (and, of course, more handsome) than him. :D

Back