• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Gas cap rubber piece

Ratze - do you mean how do you get around the fact that the nozzle shuts off when the fuel level gets to the bottom of the plastic fill neck in your tank, leaving an air space about 4" tall that "should" be filled with fuel?

Consensus seems to be that restricting the fuel level to the bottom of the filler neck allows expansion room when the fuel gets hot. Some folks take that neck out, drill a couple of holes in it near the top, and then reinsert. Some folks cut it off completely. I just trickle in more fuel after it shuts down, which is a pain to do with the vapor recovery nozzles. I only do this just before I head out onto the road so expansion while sitting isn't a problem.

You can get at most about another half gallon, more usually 0.2-0.3 gal. Question whether you really need that or not. But., 0.3 gallons is another 12-15 miles range, so ...

JayJay

Yea, thats exactly what i was refering to. if its only 15 to 20 miles i wont fuss with it, i thought it was like a gallon or 40 to 50 miles. thanks

Put nozzle in tank. Fill until it shuts off. IFF the pump isn't one with full on/full off triggers you can then lift the nozzle a few inches and slowly add about 0.4~0.5 additional gallons. The key is going slow so you don't splash fuel in your face! You might have to add the fuel in short spurts.

Doing that I was able to put in over 5 gallons on a few fill ups where the "miles remaining" odometer said I had single digits to empty. That is pretty close to the theoretical tank size.

There are modifications that can be made, however they don't really get you additional fuel storage. They may let you fill available fuel space faster. If you need more fuel add an aux tank or carry fuel bottles.

Boy the list just gets longer and longer of potential owner modifications that disqualify purchasing a particular used bike. Or merit a hefty discount.

Boy the list just gets longer and longer of potential owner modifications that disqualify purchasing a particular used bike. Or merit a hefty discount.

Point well taken, but in this case nothing compels an owner to keep adding fuel after reaching the bottom of the restrictor. You can stop adding fuel any time it suits your fancy.

Sometimes I just get sick of BMW thinking they are my nanny.

.35 gal

Riding with others who hadn't modified tank I like the extra 0.35 gallons I have. On the Alaska Highway I rode with someone who hadn't modified his and he was getting nervous. Some gas stations found by my Garmin weren't there anymore.(I carried extra gas most of the trip but had emptied the containers on the way back.) Remove rubber neck thingy gets a bit more. Drill small hole in neck. Total, as near as I can figure is about 0.35 gallon additional. If it meant the difference between making it to a gas station and walking 12 miles, or even 5, in riding boots?

Back