View Poll Results: When I click the Flea Market link in the banner at the top of this page this happens:

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • It always loads fine and I don't think it is a problem

12 32.43%
  • It sometimes loads fine and sometimes hangs and I don't think it is a problem

3 8.11%
  • It hangs a lot without loading and I think it needs to be fixed

22 59.46%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Flea Market Poll

Specific comments

When I launch the flea market from the tool bar, it's not possible to soft the offerings by category...and I cannot get past the first page which is a jumble of all items. When I go to the Flea market through the Forum, it seems to work OK as the categories are already spelled out.

I have the same problem when trying this through my iPad or my Windows based laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by Beemer01 View Post
    When I launch the flea market from the tool bar, it's not possible to soft the offerings by category...and I cannot get past the first page which is a jumble of all items. When I go to the Flea market through the Forum, it seems to work OK as the categories are already spelled out.
    Which "tool bar" are you talking about? The FM can be accessed through links in both the forum tool bar and the MOA homepage tool bar.

From the forum, the link is expressed as - http://forums.bmwmoa.org/classifieds.php?

From the MOA homepage, the link is written as - http://www.bmwmoa.org/?page=marketplace - but that takes you to a page from which you also have to click on another link like the one that is for the forum.

An interesting thing, though, is that from the MOA page, you are actually opening a new tabbed window in the browser. That is different than in the forum....from the forum, you leave the current webpage and go directly to the forum...no new tab. Unless you want to...if you're in the forum, if you right click on the link for the FM at the top of the page, you can select something like "Open in new tab". You will then get another tabbed sheet of the FM but the sheet for the forum will still be there...you can toggle back and forth.

I hope that makes sense. Again, when you say "tool bar", which one are you talking about?
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Back in the saddle again mikegalbicka's Avatar

I have the same problem when trying this through my iPad or my Windows based laptop.
    Kurt, I assumed he meant that when he tries to use the flea market as outlined in this post (click the Flea Market link in the banner at the top of this page between Gear Shop and Forum) it is not working for him. But if he accesses it through the forum links (http://forums.bmwmoa.org/forumdispla...er-Marketplace) it works fine.

Mike -

I needed to know. As I've pointed out, different things happen when using one or the other. It could be that using the MOA page approach, bypasses things and it works better. So, I suggest someone who has a problem one way, try the other. The other can be going from the MOA page and another could be right-clicking and opening a new tabbed window.
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    Mike -

I needed to know. As I've pointed out, different things happen when using one or the other. It could be that using the MOA page approach, bypasses things and it works better. So, I suggest someone who has a problem one way, try the other. The other can be going from the MOA page and another could be right-clicking and opening a new tabbed window.
    I think this is all very confusing for the average user and that helps lead to their frustration. I do not understand myself why clicking the "Flea Market" link in the banner of the MOA homepage does not take you to the flea market but instead takes you to a page that discusses the flea market and then has a link to click that takes you to the flea market finally. Most of the banner links between the home site and the forum site takes you to the same place but not that one. Confusing. They just want to click the link and see it work. Now you also want them to test it by opening a new tab? You may be expecting too much from your users. Personally I also think it is very confusing to be able to access the flea market items through the panjo plug in and through the forum listings themselves. The functionality isn't the same between the two but the users might think it is which leads to more frustration. (For example - you can't tell an item is sold just by finding it in the forum listings but it is marked as such when you find it in the panjo plug in).

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread....light=suburban

the last poster thought it was still for sale

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/classifieds...ing-kit-170914

shows it sold

And the "items without images" option. Wonder how many users (especially the sellers who aren't posting a picture) understand they aren't seeing all of the listed items unless they check that? More confusion.
    Last edited by mikegalbicka; 01-29-2015 at 08:42 PM.

Mike -

I'm not suggesting that users do it in a different way. Based upon these recent discussions, it's now been raised that maybe the path to getting to the FM is helping/hurting. I wouldn't expect the average user to do this experimentation, but someone should. Maybe Panjo should?? It may be a piece to the puzzle. BTW...I typically open the FM in a new tab and haven't had that many problems.

Possibly someone could create a bookmark that goes direct to the FM...you don't need to come to the forum. What would that look like...more or less problems?

As for the programming on the MOA homepage...that's outside my skillset. It's a function of the programmers and how they wanted to do. But as you're saying, the point of creating another level of clicks for the user is generally not a good thing...the number of pages to get somewhere needs to be kept to a minimum or reasonable level.

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    I'm not suggesting that users do it in a different way.
    Sorry Kurt, I guess I misinterpreted this statement. My mistake.

"So, I suggest someone who has a problem one way, try the other. The other can be going from the MOA page and another could be right-clicking and opening a new tabbed window."

Well, Mike, I guess you got me there! Since you have been carrying the banner a bit, as well as a few others, who seem to have some knowledge of browsers, I was probably targeting them. Some quick experimentation could reveal a solution or...maybe not?

Hi everyone,

Just want to let you know that I'm here and following this thread as everything unfolds. BMWMOA is one of our only forum partners that allow themes, not the only one. Sorry if i misspoke earlier. That being said, we are still working towards getting this all figured out and fixed. The error rate that is demonstrated by the poll is definitely high, anything above 1% would be considered high.

We are currently working through the issue on our beta testing platform and hope to have it fully resolved shortly. I will give another update the next time anything changes!

Sincerely,
    Niko @ Panjo

With the old format can't remember any thread going on and on about flea market not working. Maybe some complaints but I never heard them.

Seriously, I don't bother looking at it now and in the past I bought stuff. In the old days I found it easy to use the printed adds. Get home from work, call a dude up LD touch dial land line, cut them a personal check, week later stuff arrives on front step. No inter web needed.

Last summer kid asked me, "What's that?" I said, "A radio!" He asked, "What's that?"

There's a point where progress becomes redundant. Slick becomes white noise.

Remember when a paper kid threw the want adds on the step, you grabbed a cup of joe at the kitchen table on a crisp Sat. morning and looked through the motorcycle columns?

There it was, your next bike in all its glory, a 1975 BMW R90S, and only 2500 bucks. Hey, I'll call on the phone and hear what the guy has to say.

No staring at a screen as battery powers down, no trying to refocus your vision if you look up, no clicking around in frustration, no bogus adds, caveat emptor reigned, close the adds and put them in the bird cage. There really wasn't much of a problem.
    Last edited by 8ninety8; 01-31-2015 at 04:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by panjo View Post
    We are currently working through the issue on our beta testing platform and hope to have it fully resolved shortly. I will give another update the next time anything changes!

Sincerely,
    Niko @ Panjo
    Thanks for the feedback Niko.

What Mike said. Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by mikegalbicka View Post
    Kurt, I assumed he meant that when he tries to use the flea market as outlined in this post (click the Flea Market link in the banner at the top of this page between Gear Shop and Forum) it is not working for him. But if he accesses it through the forum links (http://forums.bmwmoa.org/forumdispla...er-Marketplace) it works fine.
    When I launch the flea market from the bar that starts with Home and ends with Help - perhaps 1/4 of the way down the page from the top, I have the problems I described earlier. If I go into the Forum and scroll down to the flea market it works OK.

When I launch the flea market from the bar that starts with Home and ends with Help - perhaps 1/4 of the way down the page from the top, I have the problems I described earlier. If I go into the Forum and scroll down to the flea market it works OK.
    Scrolling down in the forum to the "flea market" is not really the same thing as clicking on the link at the top of the page. The items inside the forum down the page are merely extensions of the Panjo market at the top of the page. If you go to the actual Panjo market, find an ad, and locate the link at the bottom which has the words "See what people are saying about this item:", this takes you to a discussion area inside the forum. This discussion area allows you to have conversations with the seller.

The problems that seem to crop up are going to the Panjo link at the top of the page and then not having the resulting page refresh or load up so you can see any of the ads.

Most of the time I access the MOA site/forums/marketplace from an iPad running the latest available iOS. The marketplace often fails to load, or loads incompletely--not showing all the photos on a page, for example. And while the new look on the home page is nice, it doesn't display as much info as the old page did, and finding some things (like what's the current "picture this") seems harder and takes more digging than it used to. I do appreciate the efforts of all involved on the new site, and am hoping that it will continue to evolve to a point where the graphical changes are more in line with good user interface and usability guidelines. Once we're there, I'll be as happy as I am at M$ bringing back a useable Start button in Windows 10.

Best,
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST 1984 R80 G/S-PD 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C 2010 K1300GT 2018 R1200GS
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 8ninety8 View Post
    With the old format can't remember any thread going on and on about flea market not working. Maybe some complaints but I never heard them.
    It would be real if we could forget the "old" flea market. It wasn't removed/taken away or changed as some sort of way of messing with the members.
    Once again, the flea market was written by a very talented past member for a version of the forum software that doesn't exist anymore. The "old" flea market was in use as far as the forum software could function with it.
    If anyone has purchased a program for their old computer, only to find the new program won't integrate or run (even load)- it's that simple.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200