• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Michigan guy gets 1150RT in San Diego

daveredman

Hello.

New guy here. Have had bikes for 30+ years, mostly 80s Suzukis.

Bought an 02 R1150RT in recent weeks.

Strange thing is: It is in San Diego.

Our daughter & SIL moved there and think they will be there for 2 or maybe 3 years.
I got the bike to use when we visit there maybe twice a year. Riding the canyons of southern California and PCH is near the top of "my list".

That was my reasonable and practical plan (as compared to rentals). That was my plan. Now am thinking I may need to ride it home this summer.

Will be visiting there for a week in February. Will be looking for a few day rides from there, and maybe one over-nighter.
Getting much north on PCH may need to be on another occasion.

Here it is, along with SIL's L-O-U-D Harley SuperSomethingOrOtherGlide.
image1_w1000_AL_ab_zpsac8d49ec.jpg

Am finding the bike is behind on its maintenance.
PO sent me "all the service work receipts" from last 8 years and 10 thousand miles.
Fairly new tires, recent brake pads, and accessory stuff.... but no valve adjust, no TB syc, no brake fluid flush.
These are types of things I have learned to do on my bikes over the years. But doesn't seem reasonable to figure out on unfamiliar bike, and get tools, and do by myself under time pressure.
Pondering options.

Dave

3 dealers

Am finding the bike is behind on its maintenance.
PO sent me "all the service work receipts" from last 8 years and 10 thousand miles.
Fairly new tires, recent brake pads, and accessory stuff.... but no valve adjust, no TB syc, no brake fluid flush.
These are types of things I have learned to do on my bikes over the years. But doesn't seem reasonable to figure out on unfamiliar bike, and get tools, and do by myself under time pressure.
Pondering options.

Dave

Quick google search shows three BMW dealerships in the San Diego area. I know many Japanese brands won't work on a bike more than 10 years old, Germany's brand of motorcycle will. In this situation I would just shell out the couple hundred in service costs and enjoy your ride.

Have communicated with dealer that worked on bike before.
Over $400 for valve adjust and TB sync.
And $500 for brake fluid flush (maybe that includes clutch fluid too.)

Thanks for comments.
Enjoyed your posting about your wife joining.

Dave

Have communicated with dealer that worked on bike before.
Over $400 for valve adjust and TB sync.
And $500 for brake fluid flush (maybe that includes clutch fluid too.)

Thanks for comments.
Enjoyed your posting about your wife joining.

Dave

It would be a cold day in hell before I gave a stealership $500 (and probably another chunk for CA taxes) for a brake flush. Now we know why the PO only had done what was absolutely necessary- brakes and tires. Maybe your son knows of an independent shop to bring it to. A brake flush on one brand bike or another shouldn't be all that daunting to a good mechanic. Probably be half that price someplace else.

I agree with classicvw. That amount seems way excessive. I don't recall spending close to that amount for the same service in Florida. I would call around. Ask about an MOA discount, work the three dealers as competitors, and let them compete. And if that fails, consider an independent shop. That's a nice looking 1150 take good care of her.
Just a side note. My dealership in Pensacola does not charge me taxes because I live out of state. This may also work in your favor.

Thanks for comments.

Yah, that quote from the dealer (in SD) really through me.
Especially the brake fluid flush, For something I could do on my 82 Suzuki with a $5 jug of brake fluid, a piece of tubing, one wrench and a few minutes. I understand the servo brakes and having to remove some tupperware complicate it some, but man, $500.

And the valve adjust and TB sysnc, which is lock nut screw adjustmant. And is something I have learned to do on my 82 Suzuki, and that is shim replacement type adjustment and vac stick adjustment of 4 carbs. That takes a while, and the sysnce is frustrating/tricky. But jeepers $450.

I did get quote from other dealer. Not much different.

Did find a independent shop in SD (ad/notice on BMWST site). He called me back late Christmas eve and left an quick ramblinig but nonspecific, somewhat vague, phone message.

I would like to learn to do these (and alt belt replacement) myself, but not under time pressure, with limited tools, and not while still learning other basic things about unfamiliar bike.

Any words of wisdom appreciated.
(Go ahead, tell me my plan was not as reasonable and practical as I had thought.)

I now see that I got good price for it because: 1) is the 02 RT which is least desired, and 2) is behind on maintenance.

Dave

PS: Want to add my location to user profile, but apparently have to also have BMWMOA member number, which I am not finding, even though did pay member dues.

PS: And... dont get me started about clutch hub input shaft spline failures.

If you're willing to ride up to the L.A. area, check out Valdi's Motozone - he has an excellent and well-deserved reputation. http://valdis-motozone.com/ (Part of his site is still in Polish, but don't let that deter you.)

With the ABS, brake flushing can be a minor PITA and potentially bad results if done improperly... like when my front brake lever came back to the bars...

Congratulations on the RT purchase. I have the same year, model and color. It's been a great bike for me, hopefully you will put lots of enjoyable miles on it.

any recomndations for day rides out-n-back from San Diego?
Palomar Mountain is one I have heard of.

Ramona and Julian is a nice ride. Good pie in Julian.

Edit:
I see your talking about February. Check the weather, you might hit snow in Julian this time of year.

Yah, that quote from the dealer (in SD) really through me.
Especially the brake fluid flush, For something I could do on my 82 Suzuki with a $5 jug of brake fluid, a piece of tubing, one wrench and a few minutes. I understand the servo brakes and having to remove some tupperware complicate it some, but man, $500.

We had 03 K1200RSs with servo brakes. I would bleed the wheel circuit myself, which is easy. Before taking it to the shop for the control circuit bleed I would remove all the tupperware and the shop would charge me 1.4 hours labor to change the fluid in the control circuit.

Hi Dave,

I'm a few miles inland from the Hermosa Beach area. Lots of drones on phones, be careful...
Palomar is a good loop; be very aware of crap on the road, including oil.
The roads leading into Julian (76, 78, 79) are easy and scenic; many cops plus Border Patrol. The desert side is often quite windy.
Another good road is route 74, the Ortega Highway, west of Lake Elsinore. You can actually take that out towards Palm Springs if you have the time & gumption; the mountain area south of (and around) Palm Desert is great, but definitely avoid it if it's been snowing!

Ramona and Julian is a nice ride. Good pie in Julian.

Edit:
I see your talking about February. Check the weather, you might hit snow in Julian this time of year.

Snow !
Major purpose of this trip is to escape from snow and ice.
(Other purpose is to visit with daughter & SIL.)
(other purpose is to ride the RT.)

Snow ! ?

So if it is 75 in SD, it can be snowing in Julian?
Or would it have to be 50 in SD for snow in Julian?

If good Pie in Julian, how about 4-5 miles away in Santa Ysabel at Dudley Bakery. (this is noted on SD BMWMOA map)
Or maybe that is what you are remembering.

Thanks for comments. I have Ramona & Julian marked on map.

And thanks for info on brake flush.

Palomar is a good loop; be very aware of crap on the road, including oil.
The roads leading into Julian (76, 78, 79) are easy and scenic; many cops plus Border Patrol. The desert side is often quite windy.
Another good road is route 74, the Ortega Highway, west of Lake Elsinore. You can actually take that out towards Palm Springs if you have the time & gumption; the mountain area south of (and around) Palm Desert is great, but definitely avoid it if it's been snowing!

Thanks Paul.

I see that 78 between Ramona & Julian is marked "Dense Traffic Likley" on SD BMWMOA map. Maybe I might quess not so much this time of year.
But, I still I may elect to approach Julian from the south on 79 or Boulder Creek Rd, and then onto Palomar.

Palm Desert is way off the maps I am looking at. Did find Ortega Hywy on other map. Looks interesting. Probably further than I might get on this trip.

Oh, man!
There is that mention of snow again.

I see that 78 between Ramona & Julian is marked "Dense Traffic Likley" on SD BMWMOA map.

Traffic on 67 between SD and Ramona early morning and late afternoon is very busy. Midday the traffic is lite.

Last edited:
If good Pie in Julian, how about 4-5 miles away in Santa Ysabel at Dudley Bakery. (this is noted on SD BMWMOA map)
Or maybe that is what you are remembering.

Looking on the web I see the Julian Pie Company also sells pie in Santa Ysabel.

A Michigan guy may find our traffic "dense" all the time... it's a relative thing.
And I've been on Angeles Crest to find snow at 5000 feet while I could be comfortable in a tee shirt near the coast. We have micro-climates due the combination of ocean to the south and west, and desert to the east and north, and mountains and valleys in between. Part of what keeps it interesting!

Pie is sold everywhere in the world. And is much the same.
If you go to Julian, go in the gold mine. You can't do that everywhere. But you can get pie anywhere.
Ortega Highway also has a tremendous rush hour. Heavy traffic west in the a.m. around 8 a.m. and heavy traffic east around 4 or 5 p.m.
But open at other times. And full of weekend warriors on weekends.
Some other nice rides are to Tecate, and then south into Ensenada, and over to San Felipe, then back thru' Mexicali.
dc

Traffic on 67 between SD and Ramona early morning and late afternoon is very busy. Midday the traffic it lite.

Thanks for info.

es-plain to a me
how is it a guy from "SW Iowa" is describing things about outside of San Diego.
(not that I doubt you. Just curious. I have a good guess.)

I found it interesting that whoever made the map for SD BMWMOA included a note about good pie at a certain place.

A Michigan guy may find our traffic "dense" all the time... it's a relative thing.
And I've been on Angeles Crest to find snow at 5000 feet while I could be comfortable in a tee shirt near the coast. We have micro-climates due the combination of ocean to the south and west, and desert to the east and north, and mountains and valleys in between. Part of what keeps it interesting!

Yah, compared to there, I am a "flatlander".

Have had to look into elevations.

Escodido 2000
Romona 1400
Julian 4200
Palomar 5400 ew
Dulzura 3800
Campo 2600
San Diego 0008

Back