Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Michigan guy gets 1150RT in San Diego

Quote Originally Posted by daveredman View Post
    If good Pie in Julian, how about 4-5 miles away in Santa Ysabel at Dudley Bakery. (this is noted on SD BMWMOA map)
    Or maybe that is what you are remembering.

Looking on the web I see the Julian Pie Company also sells pie in Santa Ysabel.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

A Michigan guy may find our traffic "dense" all the time... it's a relative thing.
    And I've been on Angeles Crest to find snow at 5000 feet while I could be comfortable in a tee shirt near the coast. We have micro-climates due the combination of ocean to the south and west, and desert to the east and north, and mountains and valleys in between. Part of what keeps it interesting!

Pie is sold everywhere in the world. And is much the same.
    If you go to Julian, go in the gold mine. You can't do that everywhere. But you can get pie anywhere.
    Ortega Highway also has a tremendous rush hour. Heavy traffic west in the a.m. around 8 a.m. and heavy traffic east around 4 or 5 p.m.
    But open at other times. And full of weekend warriors on weekends.
    Some other nice rides are to Tecate, and then south into Ensenada, and over to San Felipe, then back thru' Mexicali.
    dc

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Traffic on 67 between SD and Ramona early morning and late afternoon is very busy. Midday the traffic it lite.
    Thanks for info.

es-plain to a me
    how is it a guy from "SW Iowa" is describing things about outside of San Diego.
    (not that I doubt you. Just curious. I have a good guess.)

I found it interesting that whoever made the map for SD BMWMOA included a note about good pie at a certain place.

02 R1150RT, 82 Suzuki GS1100GK, 86 VT500C Shadow

Quote Originally Posted by Pauls1150 View Post
    A Michigan guy may find our traffic "dense" all the time... it's a relative thing.
    And I've been on Angeles Crest to find snow at 5000 feet while I could be comfortable in a tee shirt near the coast. We have micro-climates due the combination of ocean to the south and west, and desert to the east and north, and mountains and valleys in between. Part of what keeps it interesting!
    Yah, compared to there, I am a "flatlander".

Have had to look into elevations.

Escodido 2000
    Romona 1400
    Julian 4200
    Palomar 5400 ew
    Dulzura 3800
    Campo 2600
    San Diego 0008

Quote Originally Posted by David13 View Post
    Pie is sold everywhere in the world. And is much the same.
    If you go to Julian, go in the gold mine. You can't do that everywhere. But you can get pie anywhere.
    Ortega Highway also has a tremendous rush hour. Heavy traffic west in the a.m. around 8 a.m. and heavy traffic east around 4 or 5 p.m.
    But open at other times. And full of weekend warriors on weekends.
    Some other nice rides are to Tecate, and then south into Ensenada, and over to San Felipe, then back thru' Mexicali.
    dc
    Ortega.
    Oh, that is 74 up closer to LA area. Maybe further than we may go on a day trip.

Gold mine. Sounds like something to see (wife doesn't want to ride all day, so need some other activitys too)

Tecate, along there on 94.
    94 is on my list.
    But those other places.... Nope, not intending to cross the border.

southern california/san diego-area rides

after living in southern california for twenty years, i've had the pleasure of riding some fun rides in the state.

in no particular order: palomar mountain (fast and slow sides); the 74 ortega highway between the 5 (san juan capistrano) and 15 (lake elsinore); the 2, angeles crest (la canada between big pines or so, but still doable on a day ride); lake arrowhead and big bear; mountain roads from san diego-temecula-palm springs (highway 15 north to 79 to 371 to 74); rock store at 30354 mulholland hwy; san diego south: telegraph canyon, otay lakes to 94/campo rd east for some of the most amazing roads in so. cal. if you want a nice trip to mexico without the drama of tijuana, consider heading south on the 188 into tecate for some authentic street tacos; pch/hwy 1 from dana point to long beach, head west over the vincent thomas (47) and then south and west to rancho palos verdes all the way around the peninsula and pick up the pch in redondo beach, but THE NUMBER ONE, NOT TO BE MISSED RIDE IN ALL OF CALIFORNIA, IF NOT THE ENTIRE UNITED STATES, IS HIGHWAY 1 BETWEEN MORROW BAY AND CARMEL.

sorry to YELL. hehe

enjoy your ride(s). california has so many amazing roads. be sure to let us know which routes you get to ride.

riding in mexico

Quote Originally Posted by daveredman View Post
    94 is on my list.
    But those other places.... Nope, not intending to cross the border.

honestly, not a bad idea to avoid mexico. i've ridden many miles in northern mexico and i stopped going at least nine years ago due to the uncertainly and general riding enjoyment. i'm sure there are great rides for a GS rider, but i wouldn't spend any time there touring.