• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Oil Head Mileage Considerations

bswihart

swilly
I am looking at an '09 R1200 GS with 64,000 miles. Assuming this bike has been maintained, any considerations about what mileage I might expect before an overhaul is needed? I have heard clutch service is likely needed at 75K?

I am looking at an '09 R1200 GS with 64,000 miles. Assuming this bike has been maintained, any considerations about what mileage I might expect before an overhaul is needed? I have heard clutch service is likely needed at 75K?

Engine overhaul, maybe at 300,000 but 500,000 wouldn't be out of the question. Transmission ought to go 200,000 to 250,000. Depending on use the clutch could go 150,000 but heavy mudslogging 1st gear use could ruin it in 20,000. All of this dependent on excellent routine maintenance and service and a reasonable rider.

Thanks Paul, I read your column each month in ON and enjoy it. Keep up the good work and stay safe. The bike I am considering looks exceptionally clean for a GS> I have not gotten ahold of the owner yet but I suspect that it is mostly slab riding in So Cal. The bike is outfitted with most everything I would want (bags. GPS, heated seat etc) but the mileage was a concern. I have seen CHiP bikes with well over 100K that run strong but I think these get better than average maintenance but severe use. I would consider myself to have a above average ability to perform maintenance so would tackle the clutch job myself. I just sold an '02 R1150R to a guy in Washington with ~45000 miles. I have been happy with it.:):)

Back