Thread: Looking for input on R1150R Rockster

Looking for input on R1150R Rockster

Hi all. I'm considering buying a 2004 R1150R Rockster. Any issues I should know about before putting my money down?

Quote Originally Posted by tunna66 View Post
    Hi all. I'm considering buying a 2004 R1150R Rockster. Any issues I should know about before putting my money down?
    I don't know anything specific to that year/model that differs from other Oilheads.

However, they are a lot of fun and fast enough to threaten your driving record in all but the most lenient locales.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Moving to Oilheads...hang on

Which color Rockster? Have seen a few listed recently, most without ABS.
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

Quote Originally Posted by tunna66 View Post
    I own a 2004 R1150RT. I love the motorcycle and think that you will probably like the 2004 R1150R. Here are a list of things that I've had to do to my 35K mi. bike, you should ask the owner if he/she has. Many of them need these things fixed or replaced:

1) In-Tank Fuel hoses: Many, not all, have deteriorated, probably due to the addition of ethanol to fuel. Cost of parts from Beemerboneyard, about $25, plus another $25 or so for in-tank vent hoses from BMW.

2) Primary Plug Stick Coils: Very hard to diagnose problems as they deteriorate. Usually you don't know until one fails. Cost from BB for a pair, ~$250.

3) Fuel-line quick disconnects: The original plastic male half on each pair can fail. Cost for two pairs of connectors from BB, ~$75.

4) Hall Effect Sensor for ignition: On the 2004 R1150, these don't seem to fail as much as older bikes. I eventually replaced mine but you can probably wait until (possibly) there is a problem. Cost ~$230.

5) Clutch Hub to Transmission Input Shaft Spline Failure: My understanding is that these don't fail so often on the 2004 R1150. I checked mine through the starter opening in the transmission housing and have minimal play. You should check unless the owner can show you records for a spline lube or inspection report. Cost to repair in the slight chance it is needed. I don't have an accurate cost estimate but it takes 10-15 hours (I think) of labor and depending on what is replaced can be $500 to ?? in parts.

I don't mean to scare you off, as I said I think these are great bikes.
    RB
    Last edited by roger 04 rt; 01-23-2015 at 12:12 PM.

I had one for a couple of years. It was an absolute blast to ride. Just a few observations. Since I'm only 5'9", had to put barbacks on it to feel more comfortable. The tubular bars reminded me of my old Z1's back in the day, just a little more forward lean, but plenty of control. Added a Parabellum windscreen and GS handguards for winter riding. Rode it for 3 days in the NC/VA mountains and never got sore. And as Paul said, it is sneaky fast in that you don't realize how quick you are going until you look at the speedo. Mine was the green and black one and it always got comments. Also pretty easy to work on. Get it and you'll have some real fun!

Flyin Nut in SC