Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Tell me Techlusion is the solution...

25-MPH NEXT 1OO MILES PacWestGS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by leest

Neadless to say I am once again wondering why BMW punished us with a overly lean, overly green fuel injection system for so long.

Buyer beware with techlusion.
    Leest, there is this huge government agancy that likes to think they are doing us all a favor. They're called the EPA and they made BMW add the CAT and lean out the bike to meet US and CARB standards. Thankfully, there will always be an aftermarket company that will cater to people who aren't happy and want to spend their money.

As boxergirl says it best, "Ride it like you stole it", everyonce in a while. Keeps the carbon from collecting.
    Russ
    "If you took the time to really get to know me...you'd be wasting your time, because I'm exactly who you think I am"

(Life comes at you pretty fast "Pay it Forward" - Have no regrets when the end happens)

Quote Originally Posted by leest
    I installed a techlusion on my 94 R1100RS and carefully set it to the recommended setting uswing a quality digital voult meter. It ran great. No more surging, easier to start, crisp throttle response across the revs. Fuel consumption was up a little, but I was in love with my bike again.

After ~2,000 mi the idel was a little high and it was not runing quite right. Pulled the plugs and found them to be coated with carbon.

Buyer beware with techlusion.
    I have only mild surging with my R1150R and I've thought about getting a Techlusion installed but I wondered about carbon build-up. Techlusion works by making the mixture richer, right? If that's the case then carbon can be expected where you don't want it.
    Marilyn Roberts
    R nineT, R1200R, R100 Mystic

Stuff2c
    [QUOTE=lorazepam]I am a field service tech, and it is just patience and the willingness to take care to do the job properly that makes the difference./QUOTE]

For BMW?

Anyway, I used my techlusion box for 40k miles and now the new owner has over 110k on the bike with no adverse affects. 70k miles with the techlusion box.

If you want to check for surge, go hold a steady 3000 rpm's with the bike just sitting in the garage.
    You can with the techlusion box.

Quote Originally Posted by deanzat
    Greetings! I've been very disappointed with my new-to-me 2001 1150GS. At low RPMs the throttle is horribly inconsistent; parking lots are a nightmare.

Over 4000 RPM, vibration is unbearable, and it doesn't smooth out at 5 or 6.

Now I know there is a school of thought that proper valve adjustment and throttle body synching will solve both problems, but I lack both the skill and inclination to do such work, and I trust that my mechanic does a reasonably good job.

So, based on threads in this forum and at ADVrider, I ordered a Techlusion unit. Now I'm looking for moral support. I just want a smooth and predictable throttle, and less vibration at high RPMs. If I install this on Saturday, will I be grinning all day Sunday? Thanks, DZ
    Listen to what folks have said. A good valve adjustment and TB sync will go far to smooth out the bike. Beyond that, you will adjust to it. These bikes take a smooth hand, especially at low RPM's. What seems abrupt right now won't bother you in the least after you get some miles on the bike.

Your best bet would be to hook up with someone in your area who can walk you through the work. It really is quite simple. If you have any mechanical aptitude at all, you can do the work. At the least, you could get someone who knows oilheads to ride the bike and give you a fair assessment of how it's running.

Stuff2c
    You can "get used to" a sharp stick in your eye with enough time.

But why would you want too?

leave my monkey alone LORAZEPAM's Avatar
    [QUOTE=Stuff2C]
    Quote Originally Posted by lorazepam
    I am a field service tech, and it is just patience and the willingness to take care to do the job properly that makes the difference./QUOTE]

For BMW?

Anyway, I used my techlusion box for 40k miles and now the new owner has over 110k on the bike with no adverse affects. 70k miles with the techlusion box.

If you want to check for surge, go hold a steady 3000 rpm's with the bike just sitting in the garage.
    You can with the techlusion box.
    Nope, not for BMW. I service medical equipment for several manufacturers.
    I was just making the point that it is far easier to put a band-aid on rahter than take the time to make all the adjustments, ride, tweak it some more, etc.
    My first oilhead would give you whiplash at 30mph. Tried a techlusion device, and found carbon encrusted plugs were the norm. I decided to see if I could make the bike run better by just doing all the things I saw posted online.
    After taking a couple weekends to sort it out, I got it to run just as well without the techlusion, and the plugs looked like they were supposed to. Guess it comes down to how much work you want to put into the bike before you spend the money for a bandaid
    Gale Smith
    2009 Versys
    1999 R1100RT

Stuff2c
    The techlusion is more like stitches than a bandaid.

The only reason I recommend the Techlusion box is BMW themselves could not ‘«£fix‘«ō the surge issue in my 1100GS. So after 2 years of ‘«£certified BWM technicians‘«ō the 0 to 0 and many hours of farting around with every snake oil remedy out there. 10 minutes to install the Techlusion box and amazingly what BMW could not fix in 2 years disappeared. I have personally seen this happen in MANY other bikes.
    They tried dual spark‘«™better but not fixed.
    The 1200 with dual O2 sensors seems to have ‘«£fixed‘«ō the problem. My 1200RT runs perrrrrfect.

As for the Techlusion. It works!

But it is certainly up to you whether you would rather get used to a bike that runs OK or a bike that runs the way it was designed too.

IMVHO!!!

leave my monkey alone LORAZEPAM's Avatar
    You have a point, mine have all been able to run great by tuning them properly. Guess I am anal about getting it set just so, and learning the mechanics of the bike (each are different). If I couldnt get it the way I like I would probably go the techlusion route also.
    Gale Smith
    2009 Versys
    1999 R1100RT

Quote Originally Posted by Mar
    I have only mild surging with my R1150R and I've thought about getting a Techlusion installed but I wondered about carbon build-up. Techlusion works by making the mixture richer, right? If that's the case then carbon can be expected where you don't want it.
    I installed my Techlusion on my 04 Roadster at about 2k miles, using settings that are way lower than recommended...just because I was concerned about Carbon build up, too rich mixture etc.
    My bike came w/ no CCP from the dealer, so I was running a slightly richer mixture anyway.
    Bottom line for me...my once mild surging is infinitessimal now. The last time I checked my plugs (NGK Iridiums) was about 2k ago, and they looked great...primary plug was more tan than the white-grey (lean) look they had before, and the secondary was less carboned up.
    I'm going to pull the plugs again this week as part of my 6k service, and I would expect that they will look fine again.
    Bottom-bottom line is that if your TBS and valves are spot on, the Techlusion will most likely take care of the surge. But as it only adds fuel, I would start w/ lower settings and work up, rather than the other way around.
    JMagda
    Deep in the OH wasteland...
    04 R1150r