• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Tell me Techlusion is the solution...

deanzat

Greetings! I've been very disappointed with my new-to-me 2001 1150GS. At low RPMs the throttle is horribly inconsistent; parking lots are a nightmare.

Over 4000 RPM, vibration is unbearable, and it doesn't smooth out at 5 or 6.

Now I know there is a school of thought that proper valve adjustment and throttle body synching will solve both problems, but I lack both the skill and inclination to do such work, and I trust that my mechanic does a reasonably good job.

So, based on threads in this forum and at ADVrider, I ordered a Techlusion unit. Now I'm looking for moral support. I just want a smooth and predictable throttle, and less vibration at high RPMs. If I install this on Saturday, will I be grinning all day Sunday? Thanks, DZ

Techlusion/Valves/Throttle Bodies

I bought a used 2002, R1150RT last year. The guy that I bought it from, had the same problems that you listed. I performed a valve adjustment (they were not set properly), did a thorough throttle body sync (they were also out of adjustment) and properly set the Techlusion settings. The bike ran great. I always wondered if the bike really needed the Techlusion.

That being said...............Some bikes will require a Techlusion to solve the problems you listed.
Make sure that you use a Digital Volt Meter to set the four settings on the Techlusion. Just setting it via the numbers on the pots won't correspond to the exact voltages that are required to make it run smoothly.

If, after installing and setting the Techlusion, the bike still runs rough, your mechanic did not adjust the valves properly or sync the throttle bodies correctly. Sometimes, they rush through the job and being precise and thorough makes a world of difference with how the bike runs.
Good luck..

techlusion

I currently have a 2002 R1150GS and 2003 R1150R, neither have a techlusion or any kind of fuel control. I do not experience surging on either of these bikes. The vibration will be reduced by the valve adjust and TB sync, if they are needed. I don't think the techlusion will do anything for the vibration. These bikes vibrate, period. Constantly adjusting valves and TB syncs to reduce vibration is pointless in my opinion. Have the valves checked every 12,000, that's my rule. That being said, I did have a 96 R1100R with a techlusion that had very smooth throttle response. It still vibrated though.

Thanks for the responses. I'm not sure the vibration is typical; in fact, it's the weirdest vibration I've ever felt on a motorcycle. It comes through the seat most of all (and that's VERY uncomfortable) and the bike doesn't seem to be pulling very well. But the mirrors stay clear and my hands only get a slight tingle; no worse than any other ride I've had.

If I can solve the low rpm surging/gasping, I can find ways to live with the high rpm vibration. In fact, an Alaska Butt Pad is on the way! (my wife saw the invoice and said, "Hmmm, for butts big as Alaska?" Well, I love her anyway).

Thanks again, DZ

Adjusting the valves is very easy, and so is synching the TB's. You can get the job done in about an hour once you are used to doing it. It makes a world of difference in how smooth the bike runs, and cuts down on surging dramatically.
I am sure there are bikes out there that really do need the techlusion device to run properly, but I have yet to own an oilhead that couldnt be smoothed out by proper tune up procedures.

deanzat said:
Thanks for the responses. I'm not sure the vibration is typical; in fact, it's the weirdest vibration I've ever felt on a motorcycle. It comes through the seat most of all (and that's VERY uncomfortable) and the bike doesn't seem to be pulling very well. But the mirrors stay clear and my hands only get a slight tingle; no worse than any other ride I've had.

i wonder if your final drive is in its last legs? i dont know what the bike feels like prior to that failure, but depending on how the previous owner used the bike (loaded up, off road) it might be in bad shape.

you could change that fluid and see how gunky it is. and i guess your rear tire is well-balanced, and your tire is not weirdly worn, or missing a chunk or anything?

deanzat said:
Greetings! I've been very disappointed with my new-to-me 2001 1150GS. At low RPMs the throttle is horribly inconsistent; parking lots are a nightmare.

Now I know there is a school of thought that proper valve adjustment and throttle body synching will solve both problems, but I lack both the skill and inclination to do such work, and I trust that my mechanic does a reasonably good job.

So, based on threads in this forum and at ADVrider, I ordered a Techlusion unit. Now I'm looking for moral support. I just want a smooth and predictable throttle, and less vibration at high RPMs. If I install this on Saturday, will I be grinning all day Sunday? Thanks, DZ

I have an 04 Roadster, Twin spark of course, no CCP as delivered from the dealer. It surged mildly and the vibes above 4k were definitely there, even tho the dealer did a good job of TBsynch and valve adjustment at the 600mi. Like you I trust the accuracy of the valve job, because the TBS was verifed by my TwinMax. I'm about to do my own 6000mi service, so will see about the valves...
I put up w/the mild surge for about 2000mi, then got the Techlusion R259.
I did NOT buy it to cure the vibes, but because I hate lean fuel maps, and wanted to see about eliminating the surge if I could.
Some qualified moral support.....since you have gone ahead and bought the thing.
If your valves and TBS are spot on, I think you will be very happy about the Techlusion eliminating the surge. Yeah, use a DVM to calibrate it, and I would also start from settings that were about 1/2 to 1/3 LESS than the recomended, and work your way up, esp on the Cruise pot. Techlusion only adds fuel, so I started very low and am currently working my way up. My once 'mild' surge is now infinitessimal.....
You will sense a snappier throttle, maybe even the smoothness you seek...that's because you are about to give her more gas! :D
I would not expect much in the way of curing the vibes...I did not notice any detectable improvement. The twin sparkers are pretty smooth relative to your GS, I think...and with the miles mine became pretty smooth anyway.
I've since yanked the Cat...now THAT will get you smoothness and vibe-free riding...but I digress. :bliss

How many miles on your bike, man? Oilheads take forever to finish breaking in.

KBasa said:
How many miles on your bike, man? Oilheads take forever to finish breaking in.

37,000 miles, and that's part of my psychological problem. It's my first used bike, and there are so many potential mysteries. When my Yamaha or Triumph acted weird, at least I had a point of reference. For all I know, the GS runs exactly like it should, and it just doesn't suit me.

It looks like the Techlusion didn't come in today, so it'll be a little while longer before I figure out this puzzle.

I'm also resigning myself to the fact that it's in my best interest to learn to work on the bike myself. Seems a little too close to self dentistry, though (where you substitute shots of tequila for shots of novacaine).

Thanks, DZ

deanzat said:
37,000 miles, and that's part of my psychological problem. It's my first used bike, and there are so many potential mysteries. When my Yamaha or Triumph acted weird, at least I had a point of reference. For all I know, the GS runs exactly like it should, and it just doesn't suit me.

It looks like the Techlusion didn't come in today, so it'll be a little while longer before I figure out this puzzle.

I'm also resigning myself to the fact that it's in my best interest to learn to work on the bike myself. Seems a little too close to self dentistry, though (where you substitute shots of tequila for shots of novacaine).

Thanks, DZ

Well, at 37K, it's almost broken in. :evil

Anyway, where do you live? (fill out your profile :stick :D) There might be someone on this board that's near you and can give you some perspective about whether your bike is normal or not.

Even if you learn to work on your bike and never do, you'll at least be able to determine whether you're getting a fair shake by your dealer's service department.

I had a similar issue after my 6K service on my GSA. I learned after a lot of investigation and checking that it had begun to surge a little before service, and due to a sloppy valve adjustment and a subsequent TPS adjustment by the alleged mechanic to fix the problem, the problem was very much worse. It was like a bronco in the parking lots and construction zones...also to my chagrin over grates on the Mackinac bridge.

A long story short I checked through and reset everything based upon valve adjustments for dummies (found on IBMWR tech web site) and also the zero=zero TBI adjustments. It was much better than before but not as smooth as it used to be. I was recommended a Techlusion T259 jet kit and it SOLVED the problem...not just helped it. http://www.adventure-motorcycle.com/ is where I bought mine from (cheaper than from Techlusion) and the owner was extremely helpful.

Now my GSA goes at almost stalling speed w/o jerking around ...life is good now...ahhhhhhh

lorazepam said:
I am sure there are bikes out there that really do need the techlusion device to run properly, but I have yet to own an oilhead that couldnt be smoothed out by proper tune up procedures.

There's lots of riders out there that would love to have you work on their oilhead i'm sure. :thumb

I've had two bikes myself and many fellow riders that will give the techlusion all the credit for "fixing" their oilheads. :nod

Stuff2C said:
There's lots of riders out there that would love to have you work on their oilhead i'm sure. :thumb

I've had two bikes myself and many fellow riders that will give the techlusion all the credit for "fixing" their oilheads. :nod

I am a field service tech, and it is just patience and the willingness to take care to do the job properly that makes the difference.

No offense to the mechanics in here, but if you can get a valve adjust and tb synch done in 45 minutes and charge for 2 hours, and have several lined up for the day, what would you do to feed your family?
I dont do anything special, just do it properly and take my time.

Just ask Cliffy, it does make a difference, and if someone explains to you why you use two feeler gauges, or one across both valves, you will do it because it makes sense.

I wish I knew 10 percent of what Paul Glaves or Don Eilenberger know. You could add PM Dave to that list as well. Heck there are a lot of wrenches in here that would put me to shame.

You know, back around 1992 I decided I should learn about firearms, so I did, and I got pretty good at it and have won a few pistol matches (I bought one Glock and have won three!).

Then, in 1993 I decided that I ought to know how to ride a motorcycle, so I did, and I got pretty good at it, although I took the last 7 years off and I'm not so good right now. But I'm practicing and I'll be good at it again.

Every year since, I've tried to learn some new "craft," at least well enough to complete a project (screenplays, a freelance business to pay for my hobbies, photography, etc.).

Well, I think 2006 is the year I get my hands dirty. I don't want to spend the time working on my bike, but I'm intrigued by the idea that I could make it better, and ride it better, and know something new and be more independent. Yeah, I've got a new goal. But in the meantime, I'm eager to see what the techlusion can do about the lean mixture... Thanks, DZ

Carbon comes with recommended settings

I installed a techlusion on my 94 R1100RS and carefully set it to the recommended setting uswing a quality digital voult meter. It ran great. No more surging, easier to start, crisp throttle response across the revs. Fuel consumption was up a little, but I was in love with my bike again.

After ~2,000 mi the idel was a little high and it was not runing quite right. Pulled the plugs and found them to be coated with carbon. I read articles warning of this, but also articles saying the recommended settings worked great.

I am disapointed and back to the drawing board with potentiometer settings which is aint my cup o tea.

Neadless to say I am once again wondering why BMW punished us with a overly lean, overly green fuel injection system for so long.

Buyer beware with techlusion.

leest said:

Neadless to say I am once again wondering why BMW punished us with a overly lean, overly green fuel injection system for so long.

Leest, there is this huge government agancy that likes to think they are doing us all a favor. They're called the EPA and they made BMW add the CAT and lean out the bike to meet US and CARB standards. Thankfully, there will always be an aftermarket company that will cater to people who aren't happy and want to spend their money.

As boxergirl says it best, "Ride it like you stole it", everyonce in a while. Keeps the carbon from collecting.

leest said:
I installed a techlusion on my 94 R1100RS and carefully set it to the recommended setting uswing a quality digital voult meter. It ran great. No more surging, easier to start, crisp throttle response across the revs. Fuel consumption was up a little, but I was in love with my bike again.

After ~2,000 mi the idel was a little high and it was not runing quite right. Pulled the plugs and found them to be coated with carbon.

I have only mild surging with my R1150R and I've thought about getting a Techlusion installed but I wondered about carbon build-up. Techlusion works by making the mixture richer, right? If that's the case then carbon can be expected where you don't want it.

lorazepam said:
I am a field service tech, and it is just patience and the willingness to take care to do the job properly that makes the difference./QUOTE]

For BMW? :brow

Anyway, I used my techlusion box for 40k miles and now the new owner has over 110k on the bike with no adverse affects. 70k miles with the techlusion box.

If you want to check for surge, go hold a steady 3000 rpm's with the bike just sitting in the garage.
You can with the techlusion box. :thumb

deanzat said:

Listen to what folks have said. A good valve adjustment and TB sync will go far to smooth out the bike. Beyond that, you will adjust to it. These bikes take a smooth hand, especially at low RPM's. What seems abrupt right now won't bother you in the least after you get some miles on the bike.

Your best bet would be to hook up with someone in your area who can walk you through the work. It really is quite simple. If you have any mechanical aptitude at all, you can do the work. At the least, you could get someone who knows oilheads to ride the bike and give you a fair assessment of how it's running.

You can "get used to" a sharp stick in your eye with enough time. :stick

But why would you want too? :dunno

Back