• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Why the Scooter ?

I'm another convert that fits the closer to 70 than 50 demographic (66). Riding since 1968 on almost too many different bikes to remember, although I started on a 650 Triumph. I spent many years as a runner and doing all those stupid hang time sports like volleyball and basketball. The years and the miles haven't been kind.
About 6-7 years ago the pain in one hip and knee became noticeable after 15 minutes in the saddle and almost unbearable after an hour or so.
Here started the search for a ride that would keep me pleasurably in the saddle and not make each ride an endurance in pain. Five motorcycles later (R bikes, K bikes, and even a Honda Pacific Coast) I was still in the same predicament. For about a year I entertained the scooter idea and finally bought a 2003 Honda 600 maxi scooter. FINALLY! Here was a comfortable ride. For a year I alternated rides on my remaining Airhead ('81 RT) and the scooter usually in the foothills of the Rockies west of Boulder. I'd go out for 2-4 hours and it was no contest. The pain free ride of the scooter was remarkable. Equally remarkable was that I enjoyed riding the scooter almost as much as my beloved Airhead. I sold the scooter and the Airhead and bought a 2013 C650GT BMW in September of 2013. 6,000 miles later it was still the best decision for me. I still need to have a knee replacement but when I'm on the scooter I don't feel it. Nor do I feel it when I get off.
I say you do whatever you need to do to keep you in the saddle. For me the scooter does that. For me it wasn't an issue of strength or balance, just comfort.

And back to the original thread question or assertion, with one exception, the thread seems to support his supposition. Clearly not definitive by any means, there does seem to be a plausible trend to down sizing in later years, though based on the thread alone I would venture that the age seems to be closer to 70 rather than 50.

Since the typical BMW rider seems to be closer to 70 than 50, maybe they will become a target scooter market. The average age of my BMW riding friends is older than the average of my maxi-scooter riding friends.

Why the Scooter revisited ...

Wow ... I am really impressed, though I shouldn't be, about the response to my assertion. It does appear that 70 is the new 50!!

I think it also depends upon your storage situation. We don't have a garage, and I drive my R1150RT directly up a wooden ramp and into a shed. That's the easy part. But backing it down the ramp onto the lawn and moving it into the driveway is always a hassle. It's so damn top heavy and you have to be oh so careful, lest you end up testing your 'back to the motorcycle pick up skills' (which has happened many times). Can't help thinking that a scooter would be easier to manipulate. That being said, once your past 'minimum controllable airspeed' I can whip the RT with no sweat. It's just parking it and unparking.

I'm 59, by the way ... apparently young for the demographic. Thanks so much to everyone (even Paul got involved) for weighing in on this one.

~ Les

I am 53 when I got the 650gt I was 51. The scooter weighs in at 575 pounds and is top heavy if you try to pick it up. The top end of the faring has the battery, power windshield motor abs controls and many other items under there. Even though the motor and rear drive stretch out the length of the scooter it is top heavy. Sitting at a stop light you can't feel the weight but you may need help picking it up, but the scooter flies through twisty roads.

Wow ... I am really impressed, though I shouldn't be, about the response to my assertion. It does appear that 70 is the new 50!!

I think it also depends upon your storage situation. We don't have a garage, and I drive my R1150RT directly up a wooden ramp and into a shed. That's the easy part. But backing it down the ramp onto the lawn and moving it into the driveway is always a hassle. It's so damn top heavy and you have to be oh so careful, lest you end up testing your 'back to the motorcycle pick up skills' (which has happened many times). Can't help thinking that a scooter would be easier to manipulate. That being said, once your past 'minimum controllable airspeed' I can whip the RT with no sweat. It's just parking it and unparking.

I'm 59, by the way ... apparently young for the demographic. Thanks so much to everyone (even Paul got involved) for weighing in on this one.

~ Les

I think everyone should start an exercise routine, to include some light weights, especially as you approach 60. Don't automatically give in to the belief that just because you're getting older that you are getting too weak to handle a real motorcycle. Don't give in to the aging process without a fight.

I think it also depends upon your storage situation. We don't have a garage, and I drive my R1150RT directly up a wooden ramp and into a shed. That's the easy part. But backing it down the ramp onto the lawn and moving it into the driveway is always a hassle. It's so damn top heavy and you have to be oh so careful, lest you end up testing your 'back to the motorcycle pick up skills' (which has happened many times). Can't help thinking that a scooter would be easier to manipulate.

~ Les

You might want to consider a midsize scooter and keep your RT. When we were in our 30s my wife and I had scooters along with two BMW motorcycles. I had a Honda 250 Elite and my wife had a Yamaha 200. The scooters were great for everyday use around town and fast enough for highway use.
I have the bug for a scooter again, and if I get one, it would be in the 200 to 250 class. Something like the 200 Burgman. http://www.suzukicycles.com/Product Lines/Scooters/Products/Burgman 200/2015/UH200A.aspx

http://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/2015-yamaha-smax-vs-2014-suzuki-burgman-200

Last edited:

~ Les

I don't think backing a scooter is that different than backing a motorcycle if they are the same weight and have the same seat height. My
Burgman 400 was easier to back than my R80RT and R1200CLC because of the low seat as well as the lighter and lower weight. My Burgman 650 is heavy with a higher seat so it is not as easy to back. It is also harder to move because there is no neutral. I have a little V-Star with a very low seat that is easier to back than all of them. The BMW 650 scooters are very tall as scooters go so I would not expect them to be good backers.

Age? Maybe, maybe not

I have a feeling that people in their 50's are turning in their RT's, R's, and S's for scooters. Is there any support for this and if so, what is the main reason people make the shift ?

I'm 67 and have been riding a scooter on off for over 17 years. I have owned BMW's (and still do) for over 40 years. For me the scooter is mostly for convenience and maneuverability. I ride my scooter at least 60km 5 days a week taking the kids to school and back. (Yes, they both ride on the scooter with me.) It's all city driving with lots of traffic and lots of other scooters.

When I'm in the STATES, I ride my '78RS on the long trips. So, there a lots of different reasons people choose to ride a scooter. I can't tell you about old people; I aint got there yet.

dwb

Being the contrarian that I am I'm going to reject the notion offered by the OP that switching to scooters has anything to do with age and more to do with whether nor not it's the right two-wheeler for the mission. I'm 56 years old and my last three purchases were a '12 K1600GT that I've ridden for a multi-week road trip every year for 3 years; a S1000RR that I've got several track days on and have also done 400 miles days on multi-day rides; and a dual sport KLR that I'm going to take on the Trans America Trail this year. Getting "old" is for people that don't know any better. I'll be spending this year doing a nearly 5,000 mile dirt ride and I'll be back at the California Superbike School and doing an average of one track day a month from April to October and the bikes I own I selected because they're the best choice for the job. If and when I want to put something in my garage for running around historic Annapolis on errands as it's primary mission, a BMW scooter would be a fine, capable, and stylish choice that has nothing to do with age. Having taken one several times from Bob's BMW for a loaner, i also know that it's a very capable bike that I wouldn't hesitate to take on a more serious, long mile mission as well. That 650GT cruises just fine at 80+ mph all day long.

My first taste of two-wheeled fun was a mini bike.
Basically a lawn mower engine, centrifugal clutch, chain drive.
Right hand throttle and if you were lucky you had front brakes as well as rear.
Twist the throttle and go. Man I was hooked.

So my 650GT is just a continuation of that, I guess.

One look at all of the heel scuff marks on the seats on my K75s and R1150R might cause a thinking person to ask me, "Why don't you get a scooter." :)

Paul you Yo - yo ... thanks for taking the time.

Lot's of good points made by the brotherhood ... I don't know ... a work in process, to be sure.

Happy Super Bowl Sunday to all !!!! ~ Les (Cask23)

Paul you Yo - yo ... thanks for taking the time.

Lot's of good points made by the brotherhood ... I don't know ... a work in process, to be sure.

Happy Super Bowl Sunday to all !!!! ~ Les (Cask23)

I believe the proper holiday greeting is Merry superbowl Sunday and a happy pro bowl. :brow

Scooter Tires

Indeed, If I would put a RDL saddle on my scoot, then I would have no after thoughts about tent traveling across the nation. The GTL was purchased to give over to Hannagan for a trike one of these days when I can't safely hold it up any longer . (no comments from the "Jackass Hollow" crew needed) The only obstacles I can think of with the BMW scooter with touring is range and tire size. Searching the web for tires its a little hard to find that size and out here in the West, gas stations can be a few and far between but with a little planning neither should be to much of a problem.

After 1000 miles on Michelin Power Pure SC tires, I am sold. The difference from the stock tires is dramatic. The feel is a smoother road and turning tight is easier. They are dual compound rain/race tires.

Indeed. There are "touring" riders who actually think it takes a 1600 or 1800 cc motorcycle to go anywhere past the closest 7-11. There are also "adventure" riders who think they need 8" of fork travel and knobby tires to stand on the pegs riding across the Piggly Wiggly parking lot.

I used to go camping two-up on a 49cc moped. I know several folks who have travelled coast-to-coast with camping gear on 250cc bikes. The notion that a modern, fuel injected 650cc vehicle with 15" wheels is incomptetant to travel simply because it is a step-through design doesn't compute for me.

Back in 1971, my wife and I honeymooned for three months on two 49cc Honda mopeds, Travelled through Scotland, England's Lake District, over the French Alps and up and over the Pyrenees into Spain and then back to England, all on 49ccs.

Occasionally they did have problems, which was never a problem as every village, town and city had Honda dealers. Wish all bike manufacturers had such an extensive dealer network. :lol

Not exactly. I have a good friend scheduled to ride the next 11-day Iron Butt Rally on her BMW scooter.

I was looking at the BMW scooter a few weeks ago, at the annual show, and said to my friend, an MOA member: "that would make a good Iron Butt machine." The reason being that you can move your feet through a range of about a foot and a half. It also looks like there is good sliding room on the seat. I think power would be more than adequate. The bike's ergos would have to match up with the rider, of course.

I was looking at the BMW scooter a few weeks ago, at the annual show, and said to my friend, an MOA member: "that would make a good Iron Butt machine." The reason being that you can move your feet through a range of about a foot and a half. It also looks like there is good sliding room on the seat. I think power would be more than adequate. The bike's ergos would have to match up with the rider, of course.

And, in the next upcoming 2015 Iron Butt Rally Linda Lahman will be riding hers.

I think everyone should start an exercise routine, to include some light weights, especially as you approach 60. Don't automatically give in to the belief that just because you're getting older that you are getting too weak to handle a real motorcycle. Don't give in to the aging process without a fight.

I just signed up for another year's membership at the local YMCA. My biggest motivation to go 3 times a week to work out is staying in shape to be able to do long tours on my motorcycle.

Harry

I put a Russell Day Long on my C650GT and it's by far the most comfortable motorcycle I've ever owned - the ability to move my legs and hips anywhere from slightly behind me to knees locked out front is huge, and it's several inches narrower and 200 lbs lighter than a K1600, both of which come in quite handy parking in town and slicing through traffic.

While I'd quite love the extra power of the 1600 (ridden a couple of them), and would even happily pay for it, it's not worth the size and weight to me given how often I end up parked in tight motorcycle spots and/or lane splitting, and the extra power and true cruise control (vs. my throttle lock) is about all I'd be getting for double the price and substantially increased size. My GT has ABS, TPM, integrated comm., electric shield, heated seat and grips, accessory power, and almost 100 liters of storage without the width of saddlebags - add all that practicality to the fact that it's as comfortable as any chair in my house, and it's an easy sell for someone whose office is a 120 mile round trip.

contemplating a replacement seat

jiminsf,
I've been riding the stock seat on my GT, but with the bolster removed. The bolster gave me a hot spot and I like the additional leg room without it in place. I had a RDL seat on an R100RT and it was hands down the most comfortable ride ever. My question to you is how tall are you? I'm 6' tall and the RDL uses the OEM pan and looks to me like I would lose some leg room. The Corbin seat uses their own pan, (leaving the original GT seat intact) and appears to give me that additional inch or so in length. No one wants to make a $600 mistake! I'd appreciate your feedback. Thanks!

Back