• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Why the Scooter ?

Cask23

I have a feeling that people in their 50's are turning in their RT's, R's, and S's for scooters. Is there any support for this and if so, what is the main reason people make the shift ?

The scoot is for running around town as it's easy on and off with my broken up body. Use it a lot back and forth to Buckley AFB to commissary. Thirty miles one way on I70 across town. So much more nimble than the GTL and with a little thought can carry quiet a few items. The GTL for traveling, pulling the Leesure Lite trailer and everything else I do.

I'm 68. I turned in my GS for an RT three years ago because I was tired of swinging my leg over a tall bike. I turned in my RT for an R nineT last month because it too was getting a little big for me and the R nineT reminded my of my first BMW, an R65. I don't plan on turning that in any time soon. :dunno

Scooters are great for running errands. I wouldn't mind having one but I have two (relatively) light weight motorcycle now so there is no need.

I have a feeling that people in their 50's are turning in their RT's, R's, and S's for scooters. Is there any support for this and if so, what is the main reason people make the shift ?

I went from K bikes, airheads and oilheads to a Burgman 650. The BMW scooters are tall and not a good fit for those of us with short inseams. You would be amazed at the number of people who have moved to maxi-scooters (different brands) that spent decades riding BMWs, Harleys, Goldwings, and other big bikes. I'm 67 and I think most maxi-scooter riders are older than me. The main reasons they change is because they are easier to ride as we get older. You don't have to change gears (arthritic hands), they are easier to balance, easier to get on and off of and are lighter than a typical large bike.

I am like most in that I don't want to go back to another motorcycle. A maxi-scooter will outperform many large motorcycles and do it much easier. I did buy a small mid-sized cruiser to play with and remember how to change gears.

I have a friend who has a R1200RT who bought a maxi-scooter to supplement his bike. He spent all summer talking me into riding it. When I finally rode it in October, I bought one the next day. He is 71. My 79 year old R1200GS rider friend refuses to ride one because he is afraid he will like it and buy one.

And they're just riding around the retirement community anyway, so no need to ride a REAL motorcycle! :stick

And they're just riding around the retirement community anyway, so no need to ride a REAL motorcycle! :stick

Not exactly. I have a good friend scheduled to ride the next 11-day Iron Butt Rally on her BMW scooter. She has already done a couple of Iron Butt Rallies as a passenger with her husband, and several IBA qualifying rides such as SS1000, etc. The scooters are quite capable as tourers.

Well, not really. I've run into folks on scooters up in the Yukon and Alaska who rode them up from the states.

Indeed. There are "touring" riders who actually think it takes a 1600 or 1800 cc motorcycle to go anywhere past the closest 7-11. There are also "adventure" riders who think they need 8" of fork travel and knobby tires to stand on the pegs riding across the Piggly Wiggly parking lot.

I used to go camping two-up on a 49cc moped. I know several folks who have travelled coast-to-coast with camping gear on 250cc bikes. The notion that a modern, fuel injected 650cc vehicle with 15" wheels is incomptetant to travel simply because it is a step-through design doesn't compute for me.

My favorite scooter guy was a 75 year old retired Missionary from San Diego. He was on an Apillia 500 and had little gear with him. We met him in Haines where he had hooked up with two guys on Harley Choppers. For the next few days we played tag with this odd but happy group of riders.

Oh, and the two grandmothers riding two-up on a Vespa on the Haul road to Deadhorse.

Indeed. There are "touring" riders who actually think it takes a 1600 or 1800 cc motorcycle to go anywhere past the closest 7-11. There are also "adventure" riders who think they need 8" of fork travel and knobby tires to stand on the pegs riding across the Piggly Wiggly parking lot.

I used to go camping two-up on a 49cc moped. I know several folks who have travelled coast-to-coast with camping gear on 250cc bikes. The notion that a modern, fuel injected 650cc vehicle with 15" wheels is incomptetant to travel simply because it is a step-through design doesn't compute for me.

Indeed, If I would put a RDL saddle on my scoot, then I would have no after thoughts about tent traveling across the nation. The GTL was purchased to give over to Hannagan for a trike one of these days when I can't safely hold it up any longer . (no comments from the "Jackass Hollow" crew needed) The only obstacles I can think of with the BMW scooter with touring is range and tire size. Searching the web for tires its a little hard to find that size and out here in the West, gas stations can be a few and far between but with a little planning neither should be to much of a problem.

I was talking to a fellow who was riding a 500cc Honda scooter a few years ago and I commented on his IBR sticker. He informed me that he had just completed the 48-10. When i told him I didn't know what that was he informed me it was all 48 continental states in 10 days. I was duly impressed. He was also running a car tire.

I have no problem finding tires and as for range of the scooter I can go 375km to the tank i have had this scooter since October 2012 (before they were released in the states) and have never regretted my purchase. I can keep up with any bike if not pass them I just twist and go. I love my scooter. No need for saddle bags as I have tones of storage under the seat and my top box and can easily tour for an extended time on it.

Indeed, If I would put a RDL saddle on my scoot, then I would have no after thoughts about tent traveling across the nation. The GTL was purchased to give over to Hannagan for a trike one of these days when I can't safely hold it up any longer . (no comments from the "Jackass Hollow" crew needed) The only obstacles I can think of with the BMW scooter with touring is range and tire size. Searching the web for tires its a little hard to find that size and out here in the West, gas stations can be a few and far between but with a little planning neither should be to much of a problem.

Last edited:
Hey everybody... I do respect the modern scooters and those that choose to ride them!
I even put the "Stick" smiley to show I was pulling your chain....

As Dr. Frederick Frankenstein said in 1974: ...What's the matter with you people? I was joking! Don't you know a joke when you hear one? HA-HA-HA-HA! "

Hey everybody... I do respect the modern scooters and those that choose to ride them!
I even put the "Stick" smiley to show I was pulling your chain....

As Dr. Frederick Frankenstein said in 1974: ...What's the matter with you people? I was joking! Don't you know a joke when you hear one? HA-HA-HA-HA! "

That's Frankensteen.

I got it.

I bought a Paiggio BV350 two years ago. The first year I rode the heck out of it. A great choice for the "round town" errands. I put the top box on it and it worked out great. Then I got rid of the GS and went to the RTW. The Scooter just sits. I've got under 2000 miles on it. It's going up for sale.

One thing that I've found is after riding motorcycles for the last 50+ years you build habits that can be interrupted by riding a scooter. When breaking on the scooter I grab both handles. One is front brake only and the other is combined. When I get on the RT for the first few stops I find myself pulling in the clutch. Not a good thing.

And back to the original thread question or assertion, with one exception, the thread seems to support his supposition. Clearly not definitive by any means, there does seem to be a plausible trend to down sizing in later years, though based on the thread alone I would venture that the age seems to be closer to 70 rather than 50.

Back