Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Why the Scooter ?

One look at all of the heel scuff marks on the seats on my K75s and R1150R might cause a thinking person to ask me, "Why don't you get a scooter."
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Paul you Yo - yo ... thanks for taking the time.

Lot's of good points made by the brotherhood ... I don't know ... a work in process, to be sure.

Happy Super Bowl Sunday to all !!!! ~ Les (Cask23)

Quote Originally Posted by Cask23 View Post

Paul you Yo - yo ... thanks for taking the time.

Lot's of good points made by the brotherhood ... I don't know ... a work in process, to be sure.

Happy Super Bowl Sunday to all !!!! ~ Les (Cask23)
    I believe the proper holiday greeting is Merry superbowl Sunday and a happy pro bowl.
    R. Reece Mullins Ebony R1200RT (Gretchen)
    MOA # 143779
    MOA Charter Club #5 #364 #100
    BMW MOA President

Scooter Tires

Quote Originally Posted by jacko View Post
    Indeed, If I would put a RDL saddle on my scoot, then I would have no after thoughts about tent traveling across the nation. The GTL was purchased to give over to Hannagan for a trike one of these days when I can't safely hold it up any longer . (no comments from the "Jackass Hollow" crew needed) The only obstacles I can think of with the BMW scooter with touring is range and tire size. Searching the web for tires its a little hard to find that size and out here in the West, gas stations can be a few and far between but with a little planning neither should be to much of a problem.
    After 1000 miles on Michelin Power Pure SC tires, I am sold. The difference from the stock tires is dramatic. The feel is a smoother road and turning tight is easier. They are dual compound rain/race tires.

RK Ryder
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Indeed. There are "touring" riders who actually think it takes a 1600 or 1800 cc motorcycle to go anywhere past the closest 7-11. There are also "adventure" riders who think they need 8" of fork travel and knobby tires to stand on the pegs riding across the Piggly Wiggly parking lot.

I used to go camping two-up on a 49cc moped. I know several folks who have travelled coast-to-coast with camping gear on 250cc bikes. The notion that a modern, fuel injected 650cc vehicle with 15" wheels is incomptetant to travel simply because it is a step-through design doesn't compute for me.
    Back in 1971, my wife and I honeymooned for three months on two 49cc Honda mopeds, Travelled through Scotland, England's Lake District, over the French Alps and up and over the Pyrenees into Spain and then back to England, all on 49ccs.

Occasionally they did have problems, which was never a problem as every village, town and city had Honda dealers. Wish all bike manufacturers had such an extensive dealer network.
    Paul F. Ruffell
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Knights of the Roundel #333

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Not exactly. I have a good friend scheduled to ride the next 11-day Iron Butt Rally on her BMW scooter.
    I was looking at the BMW scooter a few weeks ago, at the annual show, and said to my friend, an MOA member: "that would make a good Iron Butt machine." The reason being that you can move your feet through a range of about a foot and a half. It also looks like there is good sliding room on the seat. I think power would be more than adequate. The bike's ergos would have to match up with the rider, of course.
    Rinty

Quote Originally Posted by Rinty View Post
    I was looking at the BMW scooter a few weeks ago, at the annual show, and said to my friend, an MOA member: "that would make a good Iron Butt machine." The reason being that you can move your feet through a range of about a foot and a half. It also looks like there is good sliding room on the seat. I think power would be more than adequate. The bike's ergos would have to match up with the rider, of course.
    And, in the next upcoming 2015 Iron Butt Rally Linda Lahman will be riding hers.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicVW View Post
    I think everyone should start an exercise routine, to include some light weights, especially as you approach 60. Don't automatically give in to the belief that just because you're getting older that you are getting too weak to handle a real motorcycle. Don't give in to the aging process without a fight.
    I just signed up for another year's membership at the local YMCA. My biggest motivation to go 3 times a week to work out is staying in shape to be able to do long tours on my motorcycle.

Harry
    My fleet: 2015 R1200GS, 2017 Toyota Prius Prime (plug-in hybrid)

I put a Russell Day Long on my C650GT and it's by far the most comfortable motorcycle I've ever owned - the ability to move my legs and hips anywhere from slightly behind me to knees locked out front is huge, and it's several inches narrower and 200 lbs lighter than a K1600, both of which come in quite handy parking in town and slicing through traffic.

While I'd quite love the extra power of the 1600 (ridden a couple of them), and would even happily pay for it, it's not worth the size and weight to me given how often I end up parked in tight motorcycle spots and/or lane splitting, and the extra power and true cruise control (vs. my throttle lock) is about all I'd be getting for double the price and substantially increased size. My GT has ABS, TPM, integrated comm., electric shield, heated seat and grips, accessory power, and almost 100 liters of storage without the width of saddlebags - add all that practicality to the fact that it's as comfortable as any chair in my house, and it's an easy sell for someone whose office is a 120 mile round trip.

contemplating a replacement seat

jiminsf,
    I've been riding the stock seat on my GT, but with the bolster removed. The bolster gave me a hot spot and I like the additional leg room without it in place. I had a RDL seat on an R100RT and it was hands down the most comfortable ride ever. My question to you is how tall are you? I'm 6' tall and the RDL uses the OEM pan and looks to me like I would lose some leg room. The Corbin seat uses their own pan, (leaving the original GT seat intact) and appears to give me that additional inch or so in length. No one wants to make a $600 mistake! I'd appreciate your feedback. Thanks!

Here's a video on the GT which was done by a South African magazine. It's pretty good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKOT1YUEJ8E
    Rinty

Quote Originally Posted by Rinty View Post
    Bingo.
    It's got boards. I can remember first time I kicked out and laid back. I laughed out loud.
    It rallies. You can get a lot of gear in that boot.
    It goes off road but don't push it, low clearance but I've had it back in the brush.
    I said it years ago that if BMW made one I'd buy it, sorta wish they would have gone with the camera in the rear and dumped the mirrors like the concept.