• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Post a Photo of your K-bike

While cafe type bikes are not my thing (most are just crashed bikes that the owner decided that taking things off is cheaper than repairing it), I was approached by a guy that just bought this crashed ‘88 K75S and was intent on making a Cafe/Streetfighter out of it, but he had no idea what direction he wanted to go. He had already cut off some of the frame. We worked a deal where I would get the left over S parts in exchange for some of the labor and a few parts that I provided or fabricated. This is what I came up with for him. A long way from a red K75S!

I was pleased with the aggressive stance and urban streetfighter look. The turn indicators are built into the head and tail lights. Finding a place for the huge resistors that were required to make the LED turn signals work with the BMW flasher was a pain, but I got it done.

CBA24642-FD64-4466-96FC-D204CCCE1929.jpeg

A9EA595D-26E7-4ABC-A19A-F21BA7D4119A.jpeg

DF3E917E-A310-41D3-83F7-EE1EB5E25B97.jpeg

BB1360F1-C836-4FEC-B1F9-3601D703FBAD.jpeg

59FC8D09-44DB-4523-9382-3F68FBD3DC3B.jpeg

7B98460D-8A31-4C02-91C1-E8BFCA7304DF.jpeg

2AB894BF-6242-4A54-8323-DF56AE456A95.jpeg

822D64B2-912B-40E9-8B54-487902CCC32B.jpeg

7FFC601E-9418-4969-890D-A533CFFC6DBF.jpeg

01A14A3C-2F9D-42D7-B908-942D9A7ABC15.jpeg

:dance:dance:dance

Last edited:
Looks good.
Surprised California allows turn signals placed close to each other.
I was thinking you have yearly inspections.

Custom seat ?

Charlie

p.s. Very nice ride. Very

Charlie,

It was a Corbin that he had bungied to the bike. It appears to be a production piece, but don't know what for. I built the steel pan and hinged mount and further shortened and reinforced the bikes frame.

Last edited:
Looks good.
Surprised California allows turn signals placed close to each other.
I was thinking you have yearly inspections.

Lee,

No inspections. I wouldn't be surprised if they are not DOT compliant, but this is the center of the hot rod and chopper culture. There are thousands of lowrider, rat rods, show vehicles etc. that probablywouldn't pass the letter of the law. Any vehicle citation here is usually preceded by the operator doing something sufficiently stupid to warrant a stop. Then the inspection will begin. The inspection will add sufficient other items to appropriately impress on the operator the severity of the original stupid act. Don't piss off the cops and they usually won't go out of their way to write low priority fix-it tickets.:dunno

He purchaced the lights. I spent a couple days cutting down the taillight housing to fit tight in the back of the seat and get the angle of the LEDs right. It was originally over 4" deep. Cutting down the license plate light and getting the angle right was several hours in itself. I added the screen on the headlight. Adding resistors to the turn signals so they didn't hyperflash required 4 5/8"x3" Sylvania resistors that required a 7"x 7" heatsink away from any plastic (they get over 230degrees!). Put them on a vertical aluminum plate between the battery and the rear tire.

Last edited:
Nice work! There’s a lot of time there:rocker:rocker

Veefore,

It's not the kind of work that I usually do, but it was kind of fun. It was initially hard to know that here is one more of the 4600 K75Ss that will never be original again. But once I reconciled that it was going to happen with me or without me, I started to enjoy the creative part.

Lee,

No inspections. I wouldn't be surprised if they are not DOT compliant, but this is the center of the hot rod and chopper culture.

If you don't have inspections the DOT compliant is not a big thing.

The BMW LED turn signals on our RSs are not legal in the US.

Veefore,

It's not the kind of work that I usually do, but it was kind of fun. It was initially hard to know that here is one more of the 4600 K75Ss that will never be original again. But once I reconciled that it was going to happen with me or without me, I started to enjoy the creative part.

I had a couple of people ask as I put mine back in mechanical shape if I was going to turn it into a café racer. When I looked at the condition of it I simply couldn’t bring myself to do it. The café racers are cool, but I didn’t think the condition of mine lent itself to that.. Watch, I will sell it and the next owner will Go to town on it, LOL

K75

Veefore,

Very nice work Lee.

With a buddy's help, replaced the rear brake pads and repaired the starter. my '88 K75S is back on the road today.

IMG_3544.jpg

With a buddy's help, replaced the rear brake pads and repaired the starter. my '88 K75S is back on the road today.
I thought I had a starter problem on my K75S once. Took the starter apart but there was nothing wrong with it. It turned out it was a battery problem. But the starter was filthy dirty inside, so an opportunity to clean that up.

I thought I had a starter problem on my K75S once. Took the starter apart but there was nothing wrong with it. It turned out it was a battery problem. But the starter was filthy dirty inside, so an opportunity to clean that up.

One of the brushes was sticking and not moving forward. I bought a starter repair kit from EME.

Rich,

Sorry, that’s not my house. It’s my shop in my backyard.

Sorry, that’s not my nine bikes. The K75C at the far end was sold that afternoon and the red ‘91S (3 spoke wheels) in the middle is a customers bike that was picked up the next day.

So only 6 Ss and my wife’s F700GS are mine.:dunno

See post 1570 page 105 of this thread.

Back