• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Post a Photo of your K-bike

Looks like the other end of the same bridge.

And the other end of 4cyl. Flying Brick production.:thumb

:dance:dance:dance

Very nice!!! Actually discovered that Road on my bicycle - one of the best roads for a bicycle. Not bad on a motorcycle too (beware of speed humps) (Frogg Hollow Rd, south of Coatsville, PA). Lots of pretty landscape and rolling roads..

Hmmm, looks familiar. :)

IMG_5325.jpg

Here's the pic I wanted to post before I read the forum title. Then I re-read the forum title and since it's wrong anyway I figure it's Ok to put any K bike pic in here.

But first, the incorrect forum title:
Forum: Flying Brick K-bikes
3 and 4 cylinder longitudinally mounted engine, 1983-2009

The "Flying Brick" was produced from 1983 - 1992. THe year 2009 has no significance to K bike engine production did it? Significant years would be 1985 (USA intro), 1991 (4-valve), 1997 (K1200RS), 2005 (K1200S), and 2016 :violin

And the pic. Deckers, CO is a great destination if anyone is ever in the area. Even if you're not on a K bike. :dance
Deckers.JPG

p.s. As always, I could be wrong. :)

Last edited:
K1200rs

My dream bike. I've never seen another one like it. It's a taxi in red. Came that way.

Attachments

• IMG_2835.jpg
    IMG_2835.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 367
2009 Flying Brick?

Here's the pic I wanted to post before I read the forum title. Then I re-read the forum title and since it's wrong anyway I figure it's Ok to put any K bike pic in here.

But first, the incorrect forum title:
Forum: Flying Brick K-bikes
3 and 4 cylinder longitudinally mounted engine, 1983-2009

The "Flying Brick" was produced from 1983 - 1992. THe year 2009 has no significance to K bike engine production did it? Significant years would be 1985 (USA intro), 1991 (4-valve), 1997 (K1200RS), 2005 (K1200S), and 2016 :violin

p.s. As always, I could be wrong. :)

The title is correct, I think. I'm pretty sure BMW produced the K1200LT through 2009 so that was actually the last model/year to use the "flying brick" engine. Wasn't there a few years overlap with both brick and wedge K bikes available? :dunno

In any case, I'd be thrilled if they ever brought back the longitudinal 4-cyclinder or even a new triple. Maybe chop the K1600 engine in half. :bliss

-MTS

<<The "Flying Brick" was produced from 1983 - 1992. THe year 2009 has no significance to K bike engine production did it? Significant years would be 1985 (USA intro), 1991 (4-valve), 1997 (K1200RS), 2005 (K1200S)>>

I'm confused (not unusual).
You first state that the Flying Brick was only made until 1992, then cite the K1200RS of 1997, which ran into 2004 as I recall. Of course the K12LT used the brick until 2009 as someone else pointed out.
You also skipped the K1100s, in RS and LT form, sold here for 1993-1996 (97?) model years.
As mentioned the K1200S and the GT that followed it used the wedge engine, and were entirely different beasts.

Back from storage since 1992...

Recently purchased. Had been placed into long-term storage by Amol Precision, a northern N.J. BMW dealer from back in the day before dealerships became botiques. Detailed receipt/work order describing what was done at that time.
Story goes like this: Wealthy owner moved to Hawaii & the Philippines, put bike into storage in 1992. Cousin resurrected the bike and sold it to me. 4, 630 original miles, original invoice, all the manuals, all the keys, all service receipt including the stamped service book.
This is my fourth K bike & hopefully a keeper! Catching up on maintenance now.
101_0233.jpg

Beautiful!!!

With such a perfect bike, you might want to protect the front face of the engine spoiler BEFORE it gets nicked up. Rocks, gravel, and sand will get picked up by the front tire and put nicks and pits in the paint.

A factory fender extension or an aftermarket FendExtenda helps a bit (PM me if you cann't find either), but the 3M paint protection film will keep the paint looking good much longer. You can pay a professional to install it or buy the film on Ebay and try it yourself. If you go the DIY route, buy enough film to do it several times as getting right on the first try isn't easy. I would suggest the factory extension AND the film.

Beautiful!!!

With such a perfect bike, you might want to protect the front face of the engine spoiler BEFORE it gets nicked up. Rocks, gravel, and sand will get picked up by the front tire and put nicks and pits in the paint.

A factory fender extension or an aftermarket FendExtenda helps a bit (PM me if you cann't find either), but the 3M paint protection film will keep the paint looking good much longer. You can pay a professional to install it or buy the film on Ebay and try it yourself. If you go the DIY route, buy enough film to do it several times as getting right on the first try isn't easy. I would suggest the factory extension AND the film.

thanks for that tip, if it peels off easily, I'll probably try it myself.101_0232.jpg101_0235.jpg

Back