• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Post a Photo of your K-bike

Here is a shot of my 93 "C" model parked just below the famous (to North Carolinian's) Linn Cove Viaduct on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Stopped to do some photography, and thought "what a fine looking red triple brick," so got a few shots of it and the mountains. I love living up here in the Blue Ridge mountains, even more so now that I bought my 2nd K-75. I know the K-75 is "an acquired taste" for lots of guys who love motorcycles, but man, once you get in that zen place, or whatever you call that spot where man & machine "somehow" merge,
( I know its cliche, but I swear it happens) there just isn't a motorcycle anywhere that so effortlessly rewards each input with such sweet and linear feedback. The weight, sound, and the sooo-smooth throttle response and ride handling just "all come together."

Just a reminder, the Dan' Boone BMW rally happens August 10th-12th right here in Boone, NC. at the KOA campground right on Hwy 194. I've got a bedroom or two in my home I might could rent for that week-end if you don't want to camp, as I'm only 3 miles farther out from the KOA campground ( 5 mins ) on Hwy 194 in Boone, NC. Let me know by return message and we'll discuss....Stephen Hill

Beautiful bike, and I know what you are talking about with the "zen" reference. I have two K75's now and have had three at a time in the past. I love 'em! However, just a data point, I don't think your bike is a "C" model. The C's were produced from 1985 through 1990. Then they were replaced with just a "K75" that had the "Y" spoke wheels, a rear disk brake (whereas the C's had a drum), a unique shroud around the headlight and back of the instrument cluster, whereas the C's had a small fairing, and a low seat with high (RT-style) bars.

I purchased this new in October 1984 and has 287,000 miles. This was taken in early March of last year when I brought it home from my BMW tech friend's shop after we installed a Paralever driveline on it. I had Works Performance lengthen the shock that was on the bike when it was still a Monolever bike. The front calipers are from a Ducati 851 attached to the fork with brackets made by a local machinest. The same tech built an engine for it in 2004. It has K-1100 throttle bodies in the original K-100 TB rack (preserves the light original throttle pull), an airflow meter I fettled with, and some seriously expensive blueprinting of the head and detailed balancing of the reciprocating parts. All pistons and rods were matched to less than .1 gram total variation. This is one smooth K bike and it handles too. There is some secret trickery in the front end that changes the basic steering geometry and banishes all of the K bikes weaves and wobbles.

Attachments

• IMG_0833.jpg
    IMG_0833.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 426
Here is the port side. We couldn't find a K-1100 exhaust that wasn't already cracked, so my tech friend came up with a way to mount the original exhaust to the later K-100RS/16V foot peg plates. It requires additional rubber mounts and an additional mounting plate behind the foot peg plate. I have since replaced the natural finish spark plug cover with the original black one and I have replaced the brake hoses depicted with shorter ones that rise straight up from the caliper.
This bike gets down the road smartly.

Attachments

• IMG_0842.jpg
    IMG_0842.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 439
>>I purchased this new in October 1984 and has 287,000 miles.<<

Now that's impressive! Has the motor been apart during that time?

>>I purchased this new in October 1984 and has 287,000 miles.<<

Now that's impressive! Has the motor been apart during that time?

At 210,000 miles I had a fresh engine built for it. I had been shopping new bikes and decided nothing did anything that much better than the Blue Bovine here, so I made a choice to rebuild what I had. The guy who did the work built and tested the prototypes of the original K bike when he worked in Research at BMW. I bought several low mile used engines and cherry picked the best parts, particularly the block, for the rebuild. This is when we did the detailed head work including port matching , combustion chambers all volume matched, knife edged valve guide bosses, cleaned up the ports, five angle valve seat grind and balanced the piston and rod combos to under 0.1 gram total variation. It's been together 77,000 miles.
Last year I was chasing a drivability problem that turned out to be a fuel pressure regulator going south. But, before I identified the problem ran a leak down test on the engine. Leakdown was 0% on two cylinders and 2% on the other two. Not a sexy bike but eminently useful.
Last year we put a Paralever drive line on it. We swapped the guts from the existing gearbox into a new housing. Nothing was worn. Right now it's apart for a clutch and worn input shaft. It took that long to finally do in the infamous input shaft splines. We found two rough bearings and the splines on the clutch plate worn. The original clutch pressure plates remain basically like new and will be reused. We are going to use a K-1100 clutch diaphragm spring this time since the bike now has the tall K-1100RS gearing. Don't abuse the clutch and learn to shift smoothly matching revs up and down and things last a long time. I don't baby the bike necessarily, as the grinders on the right leg of the center stand and both foot peg ends will attest to. You can ride these things very rapidly, just be gentle starting and shifting and they last a very long time.

1994 k75s

Stopped at Waylan's KuKu on Route66 in Miami, OK. Best Portabello Mushroom Sandwiches anywhere not to mention the Onion Rings!!! I filled up first then put No Ethanol in the K and headed down the mother road back to Tulsa.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 429
More bricks

Here is a pick of my first brick, and first beemer, a "Finest" K100
myk100.jpg

She is out on "loan" to a good friend. I had to save him from the hell he was going through with his '73 sportster (shown in the rear)

This is "Gabriele". '02 LT-C
photobucket-6179-1341095189760.jpg

I have had her for about a month and a half. I have just been "around town" with her, although "around town" is a much larger area since she has arrived. I hope to get out on the open road soon.

Last edited:
I purchased this new in October 1984 and has 287,000 miles. This was taken in early March of last year when I brought it home from my BMW tech friend's shop after we installed a Paralever driveline on it. I had Works Performance lengthen the shock that was on the bike when it was still a Monolever bike. The front calipers are from a Ducati 851 attached to the fork with brackets made by a local machinest. The same tech built an engine for it in 2004. It has K-1100 throttle bodies in the original K-100 TB rack (preserves the light original throttle pull), an airflow meter I fettled with, and some seriously expensive blueprinting of the head and detailed balancing of the reciprocating parts. All pistons and rods were matched to less than .1 gram total variation. This is one smooth K bike and it handles too. There is some secret trickery in the front end that changes the basic steering geometry and banishes all of the K bikes weaves and wobbles.
I'm impressed, excellent work. :thumb Barry

riding inside the cheddar curtain... the 93k1100rs of jumpin jimmy b and my 94k1100rs which just happened to turn 14,000 miles today...

010-1.jpg

j o

My Special K

Recovered_JPEG_1793.jpg

My Special K...Towing another K home. The parts bike.
85 K100RT and 85K100

P1010142.jpg

The 'Special' with the new kid on the block.
85 K100RT / 97 K1100LT

I just got Ziggy back together after a repaint. Theres still some detailing left to do but the hard part is done.

Attachments

• ZiggyII.jpg
    ZiggyII.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 621
Back