• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Post a Photo of your K-bike

The RS is now a GT

I added the GT heated seat (highly recommended) the GT windscreen, Wind Guards, and had bags painted locally.Love the bike and the look! Also check out the tank protector from bagster

Attachments

• DSC02404.JPG
    DSC02404.JPG
    142.1 KB · Views: 2,136
Another of the RS From the cockpit

Ck out the Nav II - I like the mounting

Attachments

• DSC02409.JPG
    DSC02409.JPG
    149.8 KB · Views: 2,121
k bikes

Zip:
Well done.

Some questions:
1. Does the GT windshield bolt right up, or do you have to do some modifications?
2. Are the wind guards BMW items or aftermarket? Any installation difficulties?
3. How did you match up the tank guard colour to your paint?

Thanks.

Rinty

Yes, the GT windscreen uses the same mounting points as the low screen. The handgards are from the GT. You may have to get them already painted and then have them repainted to match your bike. Bagster makes tank protectors and tank bags for several bikes, just so happened they had the sky blue tank protector that matched pretty well! The RS wiring harness is not set up for the GT heated seat, so a seperate wiring harness had to be made to operate the seat. In addition I purchased a new handlebar switch to integrate the heated seat. I don't like the look of the leg protectors on the GT fairing so I left those off. The stock GT handlebars were not at all comfortable so I left the RS handlebars in place ( for me a perfect set up) Basically I have the sportiness of the RS and the touring comforts of the GT

Attachments

• DSC02412.JPG
    DSC02412.JPG
    146.8 KB · Views: 2,099
Here is a pic of Old Grey. She is a '88 K100RT that I bought in '91 for $3500. We rode together for 12 years and over 120K miles. Ol Grey would take anything I threw at her and just keep running. Even when I decided to sell her she took care of me. I sold her in '03 for $3450. It was the best $50 I will ever spend. Heres to happy times Ol Grey- Wherever you are!
52377635-M.jpg

Ane here is Ol Greys replacement. A '93 K1100LT with matching Bushtec. I bought her in '03 with 23k miles on her. She has about 9 years to go until she lives up to her predecessor.
( And yes I have been accused of getting to attached to my bikes)
51565633-M.jpg

k bike photos

mr. zip

Thanks for the feedback. My thinking was that it's easier to find a good, low mileage K 12 RS, than a GT, and your conversion has the benefit of retaining the better, forward weighted, riding position. The lower wind deflectors are not really necessary, because keeping legs dry and warm is a lot easier than doing the same for hands, and the bike ends up with a cleaner overall look.
Again, congratulations on a really well thought out project.

Rinty

My K's of past

I bought my first BMW in 2001. It was a nice little '92 K75s.
I am 6'4" and 280. It was just far to small.

Picture237.jpg

Then I bought a sweet '87 K100LT and repainted it. It was also still too small for my size?
This is the new owner from BC riding it on his first ride.
I am still proud of owning her and finding a great guy to ride her away.

ThomsridetoSeward012sm.jpg

I now have an '02 R1150GS Adventure :heart

Here's my baby on one of my regular rides on the Cherohala. I love riding it when no one is around. Usually take snacks and coffee with me for the runs.

Attachments

• Cherohala.jpg
    Cherohala.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 2,076
Nez2.jpg

Brand new 05 K LT purchased 1/12/06.

First BMW motorcyle for a 30 year motorcycle enthusiast.

Greatest motorcycle accomplishment: a summer-long tour on a Honda Nighthawk 550 in 1986 that took me from Michigan to Vermont, south to Florida, west to California, north to Washington and back to Michigan with a couple of detours through Yellowstone, the Tetons and Rocky Mountain National park.

Those were the days!!!!
Ride happy, ride often, ride naked!

Here's a pic of my K12LT waiting for a rear tire at Trail's End BMW in Fairbanks taken last year. Shown with the bike is George, the owner of Trail's End. As you might guess from the picture, Trail's End offers a unique dealer experience.

Attachments

• Sv400084.jpg
    Sv400084.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 2,063
Fender Full

So, my theory is ...
-R
~Taking stock in fiberglass~

Attachments

• Post3.jpg
    Post3.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 2,027
1999 K1200rs

1999 K1200rs

Attachments

• sideK12RS2.JPG
    sideK12RS2.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 1,984
Ridealot said:
Here is a pic of Old Grey.
52377635-M.jpg
Tom--the trailer in this pic--first time i've seen one like that. :brow
Forgive my ignorance but is this a custom job or is it available from somewhere???
I've got 10,000 uses for one behind my LT....

SKS46LT05 said:
Man, i don't know what it is about this bike, but i gotta say, it is one badass, beautiful ride.....

Really is - makes me want to repaint my blue K75S , but I just noticed that the tank kneepads are upside down! :uhoh

GregFeeler said:
Really is - makes me want to repaint my blue K75S , but I just noticed that the tank kneepads are upside down! :uhoh
Great eye!!!! Hows bouts you takin point anytime we might ride together?!?

:D

Back