• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Post a Photo of your K-bike

Back when the bike was launched, it got a lot of hype in the press. There were quite a few colorful packets with pictures on the bike. It stated that the fender was more than a fender; it was a fairing fender. I'll try to find one of those packets in my endless pile of BMW stuff and post a pic of the use of the fairing fender words in the brouchere. :)

My k100 '86

zmclg2.jpg

5xjy1t.jpg

The simple elegance of the early K100 can be seen in your bike. Outstanding. Like this look so much, I'm converting my K100RT to a K100; your bike inspires me. Clean and simple.:thumb

One of the few straight on photos of a K1 that I have ever seen. You can see how fully faired the bike is despite the rider poking his head up to be sure his face is in the picture.

https://mcn-images.bauersecure.com/pagefiles/518935/b.jpg

:dance:dance:dance

At speeds above triple digits the K1 seems to part the air like a knife - no buffeting, no turbulence, and very solid on the road. Tuck in tight and you can feel the wind just flow around you, much like I imagine that water moves around a shark. I don't think BMW wasted their time in the wind tunnel designing the K1. :dance

What to do with a free '94 K 1100LT

It was complete but very rough when it was given to me, a fuel pump kit and a fresh battery it started right up and ran fine so I got an idea. First thing I did was get rid of the rubber mounted semi "ape hangers" and had a friend machine some solid plugs to get rid of the very scary rubber bushings. Had a repop "90 S" fairing sitting around waiting for a purpose so I made a new instrument mount / upper fairing bracket and used a set of spare /6 head light ears with a spare RT head light assembly to get the project started. Fun Fun Fun and so far pretty cheap.

Attachments

• 005 (1280x960).jpg
    005 (1280x960).jpg
    716.7 KB · Views: 241
  • 006 (1280x960).jpg
    006 (1280x960).jpg
    644.9 KB · Views: 241
  • 013 (1280x960).jpg
    013 (1280x960).jpg
    837.6 KB · Views: 240
Teutonic Plague

My sickness is with the '85 K100RS. And being new to the forum, I need to share my madness. Lee's got it right...."Long may they fly".
Here's a couple of examples of my 'other women' as my pillion says. And she understands!

Both have been gone through completely except for an engine tear-down. Each has 4 pages of a legal pad with the service/mods. One is Lexus gold pearl and the other Corvette pewter. Why....because I could, and these bikes needed a little updating. They are IMHO one of the best looking of the early bricks.

Attachments

• DSC08640.JPG
    DSC08640.JPG
    151.7 KB · Views: 221
  • DSC08641.JPG
    DSC08641.JPG
    145.3 KB · Views: 223
  • 02-10-09_2218.jpg
    02-10-09_2218.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 222
  • DSC08745.JPG
    DSC08745.JPG
    154.3 KB · Views: 224
  • DSC08752.JPG
    DSC08752.JPG
    150.8 KB · Views: 224
  • DSC08754.JPG
    DSC08754.JPG
    155.7 KB · Views: 219
  • DSC00760.JPG
    DSC00760.JPG
    132.4 KB · Views: 216
  • DSC07453.JPG
    DSC07453.JPG
    572.4 KB · Views: 217
  • pictures to sort 163.jpg
    pictures to sort 163.jpg
    416.8 KB · Views: 219
That is some really nice work on your 2 early Bricks. The K100RS is an iconic style. It enamoured quite a few of my friends back in the day. Rode and enjoy.:thumb

1985 k100rs

My K100RS fresh out of restoration. I purchased the bike two years ago and immediately tore it down to the crankcase. I have replaced all of the rubber, cables, seals and many many parts , too many to list. I always wanted one of these after seeing one in the showroom when I bought my first beemer , a 1984 R100RT. We were building a house at the time and I could not afford one. I am currently researching the attachment of a side car to this bike. She sits patiently in my cellar waiting for warmer weather and her maiden voyage. I hope spring arrives early. Craig

Attachments

• K100RS Completed.jpg
    K100RS Completed.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 343
I've seen a couple K75Ss that color. Is it Dakar Yellow?

Lee,

They made a run of 100 K75Ss in that Dakar Yellow. There are two different BMW Dakar Yellows. The other one is a little brighter.

Craig,

Beautiful bike! Ship it out here, we could go riding next week (or tomorrow if you don't mind getting that beauty wet).:thumb:thumb:thumb

My sickness is with the '85 K100RS. And being new to the forum, I need to share my madness. Lee's got it right...."Long may they fly".
Here's a couple of examples of my 'other women' as my pillion says. And she understands!

Both have been gone through completely except for an engine tear-down. Each has 4 pages of a legal pad with the service/mods. One is Lexus gold pearl and the other Corvette pewter. Why....because I could, and these bikes needed a little updating. They are IMHO one of the best looking of the early bricks.

Dani,

I could understand if you lived in the frozen northeast, where you couldn't ride for months at a time. But in Arizona, how did you find the time to do such immaculate restorations, with all the good riding weather and roads that you have.

VERY nice!:thumb

K100RS color.

The color is from a GM paint list. I think it was a Corvette color. It does look alot like the Dakar yellow you refer to. I was actually trying to replicate the helmet color. I have not had the bike outside since I completed the resto, but from a different angle the bike looks darker in color than the photo shows. The bike as it arrived was a maroon color, which I did not like and the original BMW blue was not in the cards. The yellow is different and makes the bike more visible imho which is a plus for me. I shot the paint myself and I am very pleased with the result. I hope to use it as a tug and will paint the sidecar to match. I think the rig has the potential to extend my riding years. I will be 70, have had one hip replaced and am looking at a second on the other leg. I will ride my K75S and my Norton Commando for as long as my body will let me . Thank you for the compliment. Craig

Attachments

• K 100 RS.jpg
    K 100 RS.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 338
Boy, what a difference the light makes! The first photo looks just like Dakar Yellow. The second photo is TOTALLY different. Much warmer and brighter. Good choice.:thumb

Here is my K1300s, amazing bike! Previous was a triumph sprint st 1050, I loved the trumpet but man, the K is just in a category of its own.

Updated picture

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back