• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Post a Photo of your K-bike

I bought this K1200RS new from Lone Star BMW in Austin TX. Being a die-hard Airhead it's the bike I swore I'd never own..... now it's the bike I swear I'll never part with. Never say never.

branding is an interesting thing. BMW followers are so entrenched in the "boxer engine" mentality that despite the K series being much better bikes, they didn't sell well. the K's were supposed to completely replace the R's, but customer base would not give them up. if no cylinder heads poking out the sides it couldn't be a BMW. so the R's kept getting developed but never got to where the K's were. BMW gave up on the K's but is trying again with the S series..... the later K1200's and K1300's were really "S" (slant engine) bikes but got branded K's. that probably is what killed them. wonder if they would have sold better if they had been called "S1200/S1300"....

branding is an interesting thing. BMW followers are so entrenched in the "boxer engine" mentality that despite the K series being much better bikes, they didn't sell well. the K's were supposed to completely replace the R's, but customer base would not give them up. if no cylinder heads poking out the sides it couldn't be a BMW. so the R's kept getting developed but never got to where the K's were. BMW gave up on the K's but is trying again with the S series..... the later K1200's and K1300's were really "S" (slant engine) bikes but got branded K's. that probably is what killed them. wonder if they would have sold better if they had been called "S1200/S1300"....

Two completely different beasts the R and K.... If need be I could re-set the valves and ignition timing by the side of the road on my /6 or /7 (or replace a dead Dyna solid state ignition module with the spare points and condenser I always carried), and, as long as the law of gravity wasn't repealed, fuel delivery problems were all but non-existent. And, as if that wasn't enough, those cylinders sticking out the sides sure kept my feet warm in the winter.

Interesting and quite valid observation about the later K's being essentially precursor S's. While I'm sure the S series are great machines they just don't punch any buttons with me.

Anyhow- why have just one bike?

Cheers,

Viejo

[=VIEJO;1230353] If need be I could re-set the valves and ignition timing by the side of the road on my /6 or /7 (or replace a dead Dyna solid state ignition module with the spare points and condenser I always carried), [/QUOTE]

Of course winth the K, you'd never have the need to do any of those on the road, unless you've put them off for years.

[=VIEJO;1230353]
Anyhow- why have just one bike?
Viejo[/QUOTE]

Now that is something I totally agree with! If I only had a bigger shop, I'd have more than my current 7.

:dance:dance:dance

'85 rs

You can never have enough K100RS's. This one is going through some changes, fondling and rubbing on. The 85's have a special place in my shop.
PPG silver Base/Clear
Full Luftmeister Tuned exhaust
Progressive suspension
Dunstall style Cafe cut front fender
Wipers instead of gators. Cleans up the front end.
Mechanically gone through from air in the front tire aft.
Almost every piece of rubber/seals new
I basically purchased a new bike from the parts counter at the dealer.

DSC00689.JPG

DSC00698.JPG

DSC00696.JPG

Newer K
bcd2df9699cdd4c0caaa2011d11f0d91.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

AMAZING!

It's been awhile since I've seen an '87 in the original Red Metallic that wasn't faded to that terrible copper rainbow color or repainted to a different color. I know yours was repainted to the original color. It looks great! How long ago was it repainted?

I have two '87Ss. One, serial #150005, is faded and needs to be repainted and the other, serial #150081, was repainted to Marrakesh Red about 15 years ago.

:dance:dance:dance

6339C9A9-8E4D-4D5A-B27F-3525903A1CCD.jpg
My 93’ K75s pulled out of a garage after 10+ years of slumber last September. Spent the winter going through it, this thing is a hoot!

Back