Thread: My '88 K75C

My '88 K75C

I just wanted to post of photo of my 1988 K75C (I posted in the new member forum today). It is all original with the exception of the Kona shock that replaced the original broken one. I got it from the original owner who put 160k on it. I've put 10k more on it in two summers. I recently bought a 1995 standard with a lot fewer miles for a safety backup bike.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by pippen View Post
    I just wanted to post of photo of my 1988 K75C (I posted in the new member forum today). It is all original with the exception of the Kona shock that replaced the original broken one. I got it from the original owner who put 160k on it. I've put 10k more on it in two summers. I recently bought a 1995 standard with a lot fewer miles for a safety backup bike.
    Nice- looks like a clean bike!
    Jim
    '78 R80/7 and '84 R100RS (Blues Brothers), '86 K75C (Icy Hot)
    '90 and '93 Mazda Miatas (Jelly Bean and Red Hot), '97 Nissan XE PU (Mighty Mouse)
    '96 Giant Upland (big Kendas, baby!)

PeteG
    Beautiful ride! Almost identical to my 1988 K75C. Same color scheme, but my windscreen is different. I have the same low seat as yours with heated grips. Still running at 196k.

While they have provenance. those yellowed tank emblems are pretty easy to replace.....

Nice bike. Enjoy
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

High mileage

Quote Originally Posted by pjar View Post
    Beautiful ride! Almost identical to my 1988 K75C. Same color scheme, but my windscreen is different. I have the same low seat as yours with heated grips. Still running at 196k.
    So I have another 26k of life left on this? If the spring ever arrives here, I will start in on this!

Roundels

Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    While they have provenance. those yellowed tank emblems are pretty easy to replace.....

Nice bike. Enjoy
    Thank you. Yes, I actually have new BMW roundels for the tank but can't bring myself to alter the bike in any way, though I have replaced other missing or worn out parts like side stand/center stand caps and the like. Interestingly, the bike smoked and almost caught fire two summers ago near Custer, South Dakota, stranding me and the lady rider I was transporting. The main wiring harness has melted, a known issue with old K75's I later learned. I took it to Sturgis BMW, whose mechanic misdiagnosed it and said nothing was wrong (it started, so no further diagnostics were performed); and Denver BMW said the repair would cost more than the bike was worth. So, I found a $67 used harness on eBay and two school psychologists and I spent an afternoon replacing it (I am no mechanic myself!) and miraculously, it fired up and I've been riding it ever since. It came back from the grave, literally, and has given me great joy since.

wiring harness

So, I found a $67 used harness on eBay and two school psychologists and I spent an afternoon replacing it (I am no mechanic myself!) and miraculously, it fired up and I've been riding it ever since. It came back from the grave, literally, and has given me great joy since.
    Picture of my buddy holding the harness, wondering if we would ever figure out how to replace it.
    Attached Images Attached Images