Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Broken Throttle Body Pulleys 2009 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by dpspeer View Post
    Using the zoom feature on eBay to look at throttle body pictures shows a lot of them have visible cracks in the plastic pulleys!
    Looking at what pictures?
    My Motorrad
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19

Quote Originally Posted by ponch1 View Post
    Looking at what pictures?

There are numerous (used) throttle bodies listed for sale on eBay. Some of them have good pictures of the pulleys. Of those, some show stress cracks when you use the "mouse over zoom" function.

Examples:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/05-06-07-08-...3D231456127836

http://www.ebay.com/itm/07-BMW-R1200...56127836&rt=nc

There are numerous (used) throttle bodies listed for sale on eBay. Some of them have good pictures of the pulleys. Of those, some show stress cracks when you use the "mouse over zoom" function.

Examples:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/05-06-07-08-...3D231456127836

http://www.ebay.com/itm/07-BMW-R1200...56127836&rt=nc
    No ****e. I guess it's not as rare as some would believe, just hasn't bitten many in the ass yet. BMW is a trip.
    My Motorrad

Some fair sized cracks there. Having 3 pairs from 07-09, that's not a warm-n-fuzzy.
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    Some fair sized cracks there. Having 3 pairs from 07-09, that's not a warm-n-fuzzy.
    But they're Unstoppable!
    My Motorrad

Quote Originally Posted by ponch1 View Post
    But they're Unstoppable!
    I agree! 285k on my 12GS's with 1 leaking rear shock replaced under wty. Great bikes!
    Marty Hill
    7 GS white

Ride till you can't

Reading this makes me wonder why some enterprizing genius isn't
    CNC machining pulleys and selling rebuilt TBs......I ponder if the problem has more to do with plastic
    reaction to environment/contaminants. Or perhaps a bad batch of plastic?
    Whole lots of vehicles with plastic in comparable situations out there. Certainly another thing to inspect
    for during routine maint. Thanks to Ponch for pointing it out.
    Will Stagg Central Coast of Commiefornia
    2015 F700GS
    Yamaha TW200 adventure bikes (multiple offender)

Quote Originally Posted by arbolmano View Post
    Reading this makes me wonder why some enterprizing genius isn't
    CNC machining pulleys and selling rebuilt TBs......I ponder if the problem has more to do with plastic
    reaction to environment/contaminants. Or perhaps a bad batch of plastic?
    Whole lots of vehicles with plastic in comparable situations out there. Certainly another thing to inspect
    for during routine maint. Thanks to Ponch for pointing it out.
    The problem is that the pulleys are on the frame side, not the out side of the throttle body and they are covered by a shield. I guess it's possible, but the damage is more easily discerned with the throttle bodies off as far as cracks go. Broken was easy to spot from underneath as they were broken off the shaft.

Allegedly, Bing Agency is supposed to fix this. One commenter got his throttle bodies by contacting Bing directly and they sent them back fixed gratis. I didn't get the same treatment when I contacted Bing. I think I will keep the throttle bodies and souvenirs of why my next bike won't be a BMW in spite of Marty Hills good fortune.
    My Motorrad

I'd feel better about this if replacement parts were available from the manufacturer.

On the other hand, wouldn't replacing the pulley shafts defeat the purpose of the "verboten" blue-sealed screws - leaving you with an "unmatched" set of TB's?

I'd feel better about this if replacement parts were available from the manufacturer.

On the other hand, wouldn't replacing the pulley shafts defeat the purpose of the "verboten" blue-sealed screws - leaving you with an "unmatched" set of TB's?
    May be Bing or their authorized repairers know how to set that up. I imagine Bing does as they are the ones that probably put the unit together in the first place. I wish that poster that got Bing to fix them gratis would chime in.
    My Motorrad

Haven't seen one first hand, just the pix here & the e-bay links, but may I propose a possible fix...
    This could be just an emergency get-ya-home thing, or maybe if it really works, just keep it:

Could a dollop of JB Weld epoxy (or JB-Quick) be schmeared over the pulley, and worked into any cracks, to reinforce (or even repair) it...?

Quote Originally Posted by Pauls1150 View Post
    Haven't seen one first hand, just the pix here & the e-bay links, but may I propose a possible fix...
    This could be just an emergency get-ya-home thing, or maybe if it really works, just keep it:

Could a dollop of JB Weld epoxy (or JB-Quick) be schmeared over the pulley, and worked into any cracks, to reinforce (or even repair) it...?
    If someone bought these with cracked pulleys and intended on using them as is, using JB Weld or Marine Tex would probably be a good idea.
    My Motorrad

BING throttle body discussion

When BING Power in Nuremberg repaired my throttle bodies, I assume the techs set them to factory standards and matched the function between the left and right hand units. They do have the blue sealant paint on the threads, perhaps indicating proper balancing.The units are in reserve in case I ever need them.

BING's franchise in Council Grove, Kansas could likely make the repairs and balance the units if they had the repair parts, even if they had to import the parts from Nuremberg. In correspondence I had with the Kansas franchise, before I turned to seeking assistance inNuremberg, I was informed that if they had the parts, they could set me up. But, I chose to engage principals in Nuremberg because that is where the mother company is located. Furthermore, I wanted to speak with the very people in charge of quality control, and I did, to some satisfaction. One should not have to buy new throttle bodies for lack of an open market repair part worth but a few dollars.

Is it not reasonable that a qualified BMW technician at any reputable shop could balance the units - and seal the threads - once repaired?

Pity the poor soul who might buy the partially broken units seen on ebay. Those pulleys will surely fail in the short term and I doubt any kind of epoxy would save them from failure.

As I said in the beginning, BMW needs to recall and retrofit all plastic TB pulleys before their failure gets someone killed or disabled or just injured.

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by bruud View Post
    When BING Power in Nuremberg repaired my throttle bodies, I assume the techs set them to factory standards and matched the function between the left and right hand units. They do have the blue sealant paint on the threads, perhaps indicating proper balancing.The units are in reserve in case I ever need them.

BING's franchise in Council Grove, Kansas could likely make the repairs and balance the units if they had the repair parts, even if they had to import the parts from Nuremberg. In correspondence I had with the Kansas franchise, before I turned to seeking assistance inNuremberg, I was informed that if they had the parts, they could set me up. But, I chose to engage principals in Nuremberg because that is where the mother company is located. Furthermore, I wanted to speak with the very people in charge of quality control, and I did, to some satisfaction. One should not have to buy new throttle bodies for lack of an open market repair part worth but a few dollars.

Is it not reasonable that a qualified BMW technician at any reputable shop could balance the units - and seal the threads - once repaired?

Pity the poor soul who might buy the partially broken units seen on ebay. Those pulleys will surely fail in the short term and I doubt any kind of epoxy would save them from failure.

As I said in the beginning, BMW needs to recall and retrofit all plastic TB pulleys before their failure gets someone killed or disabled or just injured.

Bart
    Yes- Bing International (USA) can probably balance throttle bodies with a flow bench. No dealerships normally cannot do this. An enterprising old-school mechanic can using mechanical round feelers to precisely match the throttle plate openings but nobody teaches the newer techs hos to do what we used to do all the time with multiple carb setups on cars back in the 60s.

I do suspect that many an independent Harley repair guy can do it because they balance twin carbs a lot of the time.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by bruud View Post

Bart
    Bing wouldn't repair mine, they referred me to the Bing Agency, for which I would have to pay, whereas you did not. I guess you got the right person or it was a one shot deal.
    My Motorrad