Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Broken Throttle Body Pulleys 2009 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ride View Post
    It would be great if an engineer amongst us would assist to develop a retrofit using a more appropriate material. I am sure anyone in Ponch's situation would gladly compensate the individual should they need help.
    The problem is, how does one replace it? Even with the new bing units, Bing doesn't know how to do it. My guess would be that the TB has to be disassembled in that the shaft has to come out. I wonder how that effects the magical state of tune, meaning the magical screw that should never be touched let alone the TPS sensor. The thing is, in the cases I know of, all of them had both pulleys break. It seems that BMW intended that the TB isn't serviceable except for sensors and injectors. I guess I'll be able to dissect the old ones after successful replacement and figure out how it's put together.
    My Motorrad
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19

Well, the bottom line seems to be that if I get it fixed at a dealer, I might get some consideration from BMW NA. That's a poor bet. The Throttle Bodies alone are over $1100 and then I have to figure another $300 in labor. Too much for me.
    My Motorrad

Here's a couple pictures. I got the TBs off today. I'll put it back together tomorrow. The plastic part of the pulley is on both sides of the metal plate on the end of the shaft. Not sure how a new one gets put on.

Left:

Right:

My Motorrad

Still plays with trains. tinytrains's Avatar
    If the TBs are really not repairable, I would be tempted to get some high quality epoxy and try gluing them back on the shaft. Nothing to lose.

Scott
    2009 R1200R Roadster

Quote Originally Posted by tinytrains View Post
    If the TBs are really not repairable, I would be tempted to get some high quality epoxy and try gluing them back on the shaft. Nothing to lose.

Scott
    Except at worst getting stuck again and at best never really trusting the bike. I already bought throttle bodies off ebay.
    My Motorrad

Good point, and best of luck.
    2009 R1200R Roadster

I got the gas tank on earlier today, hooked up the gas lines and electrical stuff and it fired right up. In fact it seemed to catch quicker?Getting the low profile oetiker clamp plier was worth every penny. Now the throttle works too! I'll get one more panel on tomorrow and take it for a ride and make sure the cruise control works. I feel a lot better now.
    My Motorrad

Back in the saddle again mikegalbicka's Avatar
    Good job!

Glad to hear you got it fixed.

Any idea how both pulleys broke at the same time?
    2009 R1200R Roadster

Don't know.
    My Motorrad

Ponch,

How much freeplay do you have in the throttle cable up at the grip? What about the cables at the throttle bodies?

I know people like to zero any freeplay out for "more response" - but I think that may risk having the throttle bodies bang up against full open when you're accelerating with rapidity. That's about the only way I can imagine both breaking at the same time.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders
    '12 R1200R - I love this bike!

Quote Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post
    Ponch,

How much freeplay do you have in the throttle cable up at the grip? What about the cables at the throttle bodies?

I know people like to zero any freeplay out for "more response" - but I think that may risk having the throttle bodies bang up against full open when you're accelerating with rapidity. That's about the only way I can imagine both breaking at the same time.
    You have a point. I had adjusted them at one point some time ago as I've never ridden a bike with so much throttle play and driveline lash. It makes the reaction from throttle input to go seem relatively forever or herky jerky. It's fixed now, so I guess I am "happy" about that. As far as the throttle body cables, I haven't checked to "newer" ones. I got a TB set with all the cables and FI still attached and just disconnected the TB cables from the distro box and put them in mine, but used my injectors. From what I can tell, it probably came from a RTP as the box didn't have the facilities for cruise control, which is fine. I'll have to do a TB sync soon, but need to get a carb sync tool first. The hardest part of this was taking all the body work and gas tank off and getting the right tool for the clamps. I love having the right tools. It makes things so much easier.
    My Motorrad

Throttle Body saga

Similarly, I simultaneously broke both plastic pulleys on my '09 R1200RT. My BMW dealership informed me neither the pulley nor the shaft onto which the pulley is swaged is a BMW part number. Their solution was two new throttle bodies. I posted a letter about this in the Nov. 2014 BMW Owners News and also filed a complaint with the National Transportation Safety Board. I had my dealer install two new throttle bodies and I sent the broken TBs to BING Power Systems - the manufacturer - in Nuremberg, Germany for repair. The TBs were repaired and returned to me along with two spare shafts with pulleys attached, which I requested. This should be a BMW recall matter for replacement of the plastic pulleys with metal pulleys. This pulley failure is not all that uncommon and the risk of death or injury upon the failure of these poorly designed and manufactured pulleys is a critical safety consideration.

Bart MOA # 158246

On these failures, were you rolling off throttle or just riding along? I haven't looked hard, but RT's only? Do both of y'all have cruise control?

We have three models in the 07-09 range, two with over 100K, but no RT's. Keep recommended minimum slack at the adjusters and guess just used to the feel.

Too bad the parts are not as available as they are for the 11XX series. Just got a set for a 1150 with the tick-tick-tick from a worn shaft. Maybe one day?

20150131_121618_resized.jpg
    Last edited by henzilla; 01-31-2015 at 06:28 PM.
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

Re TB saga

When the throttle body pulleys broke I was rolling on full throttle and had just shifted into 3rd gear as I was merging into traffic coming up on me from the rear at probably 80 mph. I was merging onto a two-lane highway with heavy traffic and no acceleration lane and when the motor went to an idle I took the only escape route available - the suicide lane separating opposing lanes of traffic. Obviously the plastic pulleys could not take the stress of hard, full-on throttle, something I needed to keep from getting run over from the rear. The dealer told me they rarely see this breakage, except on police bikes, where it is surmised that motor officers stress the pulleys with full-on hard acceleration, as in a pursuit endeavor. Regardless, in my opinion, this is a design and manufacturing flaw that could cost one his life, and that is exactly what a motor officer told me whose service bike was a 1200RT of the same vintage. This flaw demands a recall and retrofit with a metal pulley that, in my opinion, should be designed and offered by BMW Motorad. This flaw, uncorrected, will one day lead to a lawsuit because the flaw is documented.

Bart