• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Broken Throttle Body Pulleys 2009 R1200RT

The RT tupperwear was great for slicing through the windy western states, dono how the gs is gona be. iam gona find out as soon as the weather breaks. deadhorse ak again.

My RT had 48,832 miles when the pulleys broke. The dealer quote was $1,304 but I negotiated that downward a few dollars. Can't find the receipt but it was over $1,200.

Since the repair I am careful to avoid rolling on the throttle to the hilt.

BING was good to me. No charge. I had a lengthy email conversation with them over a matter of weeks and as much as anything, perhaps they wanted to see the broken pulleys because they stood their ground with their belief that their design and manufacturing process was solid. I was elated that they worked with me on this matter.

In my opinion, the pulleys and pulley shafts should be available in the aftermarket. Together they should be a relatively inexpensive item. It is insane to have to install new throttle bodies because of a flaw that could easily be corrected. A steel pulley swaged onto the shaft would be an easy retrofit. With retrofitting it would be important to balance the left and right TB functions.

I contacted Bing and they referred me to the Bing Agency. Oh well.

I contacted Bing and they referred me to the Bing Agency. Oh well.

OK. Bing Agency (in Kansas) is the North American distributor for Bing. So I would contact them by telephone and tell them you need new shafts with pulleys and that Bing said you should contact them.

Back in the early days of the R1100 and worn throttle body shafts the parts were not available through BMW. But with sufficient requests Bing Agency got them into their parts inventory.

OK. Bing Agency (in Kansas) is the North American distributor for Bing. So I would contact them by telephone and tell them you need new shafts with pulleys and that Bing said you should contact them.

Back in the early days of the R1100 and worn throttle body shafts the parts were not available through BMW. But with sufficient requests Bing Agency got them into their parts inventory.

I was hoping they'd want to see the TBs themselves, like the other gentleman I quoted. I guess I could send an email.

Using the zoom feature on eBay to look at throttle body pictures shows a lot of them have visible cracks in the plastic pulleys!

There are numerous (used) throttle bodies listed for sale on eBay. Some of them have good pictures of the pulleys. Of those, some show stress cracks when you use the "mouse over zoom" function.

Examples:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/05-06-07-08...08f308&pid=100033&rk=1&rkt=4&sd=231456127836

http://www.ebay.com/itm/07-BMW-R120...0&pid=100005&rk=4&rkt=6&sd=231456127836&rt=nc

No ****e. I guess it's not as rare as some would believe, just hasn't bitten many in the ass yet. BMW is a trip.

Reading this makes me wonder why some enterprizing genius isn't
CNC machining pulleys and selling rebuilt TBs......I ponder if the problem has more to do with plastic
reaction to environment/contaminants. Or perhaps a bad batch of plastic?
Whole lots of vehicles with plastic in comparable situations out there. Certainly another thing to inspect
for during routine maint. Thanks to Ponch for pointing it out.

Reading this makes me wonder why some enterprizing genius isn't
CNC machining pulleys and selling rebuilt TBs......I ponder if the problem has more to do with plastic
reaction to environment/contaminants. Or perhaps a bad batch of plastic?
Whole lots of vehicles with plastic in comparable situations out there. Certainly another thing to inspect
for during routine maint. Thanks to Ponch for pointing it out.

The problem is that the pulleys are on the frame side, not the out side of the throttle body and they are covered by a shield. I guess it's possible, but the damage is more easily discerned with the throttle bodies off as far as cracks go. Broken was easy to spot from underneath as they were broken off the shaft.

Allegedly, Bing Agency is supposed to fix this. One commenter got his throttle bodies by contacting Bing directly and they sent them back fixed gratis. I didn't get the same treatment when I contacted Bing. I think I will keep the throttle bodies and souvenirs of why my next bike won't be a BMW in spite of Marty Hills good fortune.

I'd feel better about this if replacement parts were available from the manufacturer.

On the other hand, wouldn't replacing the pulley shafts defeat the purpose of the "verboten" blue-sealed screws - leaving you with an "unmatched" set of TB's?

I'd feel better about this if replacement parts were available from the manufacturer.

On the other hand, wouldn't replacing the pulley shafts defeat the purpose of the "verboten" blue-sealed screws - leaving you with an "unmatched" set of TB's?

May be Bing or their authorized repairers know how to set that up. I imagine Bing does as they are the ones that probably put the unit together in the first place. I wish that poster that got Bing to fix them gratis would chime in.

Haven't seen one first hand, just the pix here & the e-bay links, but may I propose a possible fix...
This could be just an emergency get-ya-home thing, or maybe if it really works, just keep it:

Could a dollop of JB Weld epoxy (or JB-Quick) be schmeared over the pulley, and worked into any cracks, to reinforce (or even repair) it...?

Haven't seen one first hand, just the pix here & the e-bay links, but may I propose a possible fix...
This could be just an emergency get-ya-home thing, or maybe if it really works, just keep it:

Could a dollop of JB Weld epoxy (or JB-Quick) be schmeared over the pulley, and worked into any cracks, to reinforce (or even repair) it...?

If someone bought these with cracked pulleys and intended on using them as is, using JB Weld or Marine Tex would probably be a good idea.

BING throttle body discussion

When BING Power in Nuremberg repaired my throttle bodies, I assume the techs set them to factory standards and matched the function between the left and right hand units. They do have the blue sealant paint on the threads, perhaps indicating proper balancing.The units are in reserve in case I ever need them.

BING's franchise in Council Grove, Kansas could likely make the repairs and balance the units if they had the repair parts, even if they had to import the parts from Nuremberg. In correspondence I had with the Kansas franchise, before I turned to seeking assistance inNuremberg, I was informed that if they had the parts, they could set me up. But, I chose to engage principals in Nuremberg because that is where the mother company is located. Furthermore, I wanted to speak with the very people in charge of quality control, and I did, to some satisfaction. One should not have to buy new throttle bodies for lack of an open market repair part worth but a few dollars.

Is it not reasonable that a qualified BMW technician at any reputable shop could balance the units - and seal the threads - once repaired?

Pity the poor soul who might buy the partially broken units seen on ebay. Those pulleys will surely fail in the short term and I doubt any kind of epoxy would save them from failure.

As I said in the beginning, BMW needs to recall and retrofit all plastic TB pulleys before their failure gets someone killed or disabled or just injured.

Bart

When BING Power in Nuremberg repaired my throttle bodies, I assume the techs set them to factory standards and matched the function between the left and right hand units. They do have the blue sealant paint on the threads, perhaps indicating proper balancing.The units are in reserve in case I ever need them.

BING's franchise in Council Grove, Kansas could likely make the repairs and balance the units if they had the repair parts, even if they had to import the parts from Nuremberg. In correspondence I had with the Kansas franchise, before I turned to seeking assistance inNuremberg, I was informed that if they had the parts, they could set me up. But, I chose to engage principals in Nuremberg because that is where the mother company is located. Furthermore, I wanted to speak with the very people in charge of quality control, and I did, to some satisfaction. One should not have to buy new throttle bodies for lack of an open market repair part worth but a few dollars.

Is it not reasonable that a qualified BMW technician at any reputable shop could balance the units - and seal the threads - once repaired?

Pity the poor soul who might buy the partially broken units seen on ebay. Those pulleys will surely fail in the short term and I doubt any kind of epoxy would save them from failure.

As I said in the beginning, BMW needs to recall and retrofit all plastic TB pulleys before their failure gets someone killed or disabled or just injured.

Bart

Yes- Bing International (USA) can probably balance throttle bodies with a flow bench. No dealerships normally cannot do this. An enterprising old-school mechanic can using mechanical round feelers to precisely match the throttle plate openings but nobody teaches the newer techs hos to do what we used to do all the time with multiple carb setups on cars back in the 60s.

I do suspect that many an independent Harley repair guy can do it because they balance twin carbs a lot of the time.

Bart

Bing wouldn't repair mine, they referred me to the Bing Agency, for which I would have to pay, whereas you did not. I guess you got the right person or it was a one shot deal.

Back