• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Riding in Northern Vietnam

SGTBILL

The Big Red One
Last month my wife and I joined some friends for a motorcycle trip around Northern Vietnam. Our friends have done trips in Vietnam a few times before and invited us to join them this year. We didn't have enough lead time to get all the inoculations suggested by the State Department but decided to risk Japanese Encephalitis since it was considered low risk during the cool months. I plan to write a trip report but thought I'd post a few photos since my writing takes longer than it should.

We picked up our bikes (Honda XR 150s) at the GoBambooTrek shop in the Old Quarter of Hanoi. The bikes proved reliable and resilient. No flat tires or mechanical problems at all in 10 days and 1000 miles of riding.
GoBambooTrek by billrussell868, on Flickr

Our first day of riding we passed a Vietnamese army unit marching along the highway. My wife's bike had a full-size Vietnamese flag on a bamboo pole to assist in marking the end of our group while in traffic in the towns. At the end of the trip our guide presented the flag to Karla as a souvenir
Road March by billrussell868, on Flickr

In Vietnam you share the road with old trucks.
Untitled by billrussell868, on Flickr

New trucks

Animals, large
Musk Ox by billrussell868, on Flickr

and small. Predicting where pigs will run is not easy...
Pigs on a Wing by billrussell868, on Flickr

and local authorities

Some roads were nicely maintained,

Some were being maintained while we rode on them.

Others were not as well maintained. Yes, it is a long way down the hill and there isn't a guardrail...

Still others seemed to be goat trails.
Goats Head Soup tonight! by billrussell868, on Flickr

Scenery was spectacular

BeBa Homestay 01 by billrussell868, on Flickr

The people colorful and friendly.

And finally, bike shops were plentiful if you ever needed something repaired.

What more could you ask for.

Very nice Bill! Great start to what I'm sure will be a fanrastic ride report. Thanks for sharing, looking forward to the rest of the story!

Nice trip report. I'd also like to see additional photo's of the country. Wouldn't mine going back again myself, as I always thought the country was beautiful and enjoyed the people.

Adding fuel to the fire...

All,

Great thread and photos!

I don't want to hijack this, but simply say "do it". Vietnam is a fabulous place to ride, with fantastic sights and lovely people. Here's a chronicle of a somewhat similar trip I took a few years ago:

Any thoughts on touring South Vietnam?

Bill,

Since you toured the north, any chance you'll do the south?

BTW - Great pictures

Not sure about riding in Southern Vietnam

Bill,

Since you toured the north, any chance you'll do the south?

BTW - Great pictures

Since we have so many other destinations on our list I'm not sure we'll go to Southern Vietnam. I expect it would be warmer and wetter. Northern Vietnam was beautiful and the people were friendly. But Africa, Australia, New Zealand, and South America (especially Peru) are still unexplored territory.

Since we have so many other destinations on our list I'm not sure we'll go to Southern Vietnam. I expect it would be warmer and wetter. Northern Vietnam was beautiful and the people were friendly. But Africa, Australia, New Zealand, and South America (especially Peru) are still unexplored territory.

Understand, but much like visiting the wall in DC, I assume many will make the trek to South Vietnam. But, as you say, it will be more tropical and less comfortable for many folks.

I don't know how I missed this old post!

I really enjoyed your photos.

Vietnam is a place high on my list to visit.

I have been in the Central Highland Jungles of SVN in 1969 and the Cambodia jungles in 1970, but jungle was about all I was able to see for the entire year. I was in the infantry in the army (but don't blame me--I was drafted!) and was mainly around An Khe and Pleiku.

I have been to China a few times, but I have not made the trip to Vietnam yet, other than army.

Here are some cycles in Gulin, China, not too far from N VN:

2motorbikes.jpg

I am not sure what this green thing is called:

chinaveh1.jpg

-Don- SSF, CA (was in Army, B-3-8, 4TH Infantry Division)

Last edited:
Just awesome!

What a great adventure! From someone who has lived all throughout S.E. Asia over the last 6yrs, I supremely envious of your journey sgtbill. Vietnam is a wonderful country. Thanks for sharing the nice pics!

Back