Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: New Ural or Upgrade my F700GS to Side Car Capability?

Nothings changed; physics is physics.

The only thing that would change that would be a full-time differential (for use on pavement) to negate the tendency to pull right. Obviously you're not going to get that with the BMW (or the Ural for that matter).

But even then, deceleration would be the same (without using the sidecar brake); the chair is still going to try and pass you.
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden
    Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner
    1963 Dnepr

A friend bough a Ural last Spring and he is smitten. I don't think he has ridden any of his other bikes since he got the Ural. Although he is a long time MSF coach, he is new to sidecars and took the Washington State class this summer. Where we live is loaded with off pavement ridding opportunities and he is making the most of them. His has fuel injection, electronic ignition and Brembo brakes. I'm interested, but will see how reliable his turns out to be.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

mentioned above... lots of knowledgeable Uralistas.

www.sovietsteeds.com
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden
    Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner
    1963 Dnepr

Quote Originally Posted by mule View Post
    Wondering if the BMW "pulls to the right" any different than the Ural? I have a R1200 that I can add the dmc to or alternatively, get a patrol. I remember the patrol having what I thought to be quite a bit of drag from the sidecar pulling the bike to the right.
    While I realize this is an inherent 'quality' to a sidecar, I was curious if there is any difference in this pulling sensation between a BMW/DMC setup and a Ural?

Your thoughts...
    Some downloads on sidecar set-up and operation. http://www.sidecar.com/links3.asp

Cowboyatheart
    Quote Originally Posted by weschmann View Post
    So, I'm thinking of moving to a side car rig, and wonder if I should invest in something like a Ural (2015 with efi) or have one made up for my current F700 GS bike. I contacted DMC (I think that's right) and they stated that they could add one to my bike but it would be the heaver duty side car due to the type of bike. My question is, is it better to buy a unit that is made specifically for that type of riding? My research shows the Ural to be of somewhat questionable quality, (although that may not be the case) or keeping my current bike that is (IMO) a great bike (both experience wise and maintenance wise) probably a keeper either way. Is the two wheel drive on the Ural worth the money? Not sure which way to go forward.....i would like to ride the unit in snow in the event that I find myself in that type of weather.....
    So what's the update?
    Moringa, your body & brain will thank you! PM for discounts Smart Mix at TasteMoringa.com
    XM3 Energy, real energy for the body & brain, no sugar high, XM3.Energy

Quote Originally Posted by nelliott View Post
    So what's the update?
    Put my decision on the back burner for a bit. Heading up to Chicago next month (June 28th 2017 to test ride a Ural. Was smitten again at the Chicago Mc show in Feb. Have 55000 miles on my 700 so hoping to further that to 75000 before giving up on the bmw. But looks like ural has won my heart... :-)

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    On of the YB's got one recently, saw it a week ago. 2wheel drive, reverse mod up forward.......really nice. He is having a ball on it and his wife and dog get to go. Sounds like the later units have some nice "improvements".
    Gary
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Physics are the same. Under acceleration, a sidecar pulls to the right, under braking it goes left. The crown of the road will also give you feedback in your steering.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    On of the YB's got one recently, saw it a week ago. 2wheel drive, reverse mod up forward.......really nice. He is having a ball on it and his wife and dog get to go. Sounds like the later units have some nice "improvements".
    Gary
    Snagged a picture from a YB Tech day-

And yeah, that's a mini-bike with a side (monkey) car

OM
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Omega Man; 06-07-2017 at 10:47 PM. Reason: add permanent picture
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Can't view your photo. Could be on my end.
    John Simonds
    2016 Honda CRF 250L 2008 R 1200 GSA
    1975 Norton Commando 850 Roadster Mk 3
    If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

Quote Originally Posted by junkjohn View Post
    Can't view your photo. Could be on my end.
    Nope, his end.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk