• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1975 R90/6 wire question

kurt1305

What is this wire (the black one with the rectangular connector)? It exits the main wiring harness with the ground wires right at the coils. I think it was plugged into the left coil (it isn't the one to the points or the power wire on the other coil or the jumper wire between the two). My coil circuit is complete which leaves me stumped as to the purpose of this wire.

I suspect that you are looking at a wiring harness that is "ready" for the electronic tachs that came out in '77. That plug would clip to the driver's right side coil to give the coil collapse/saturate rate which the tach knows how to interpret as RPM.

Edit...I think the electronic tachs came out in 1978.

Have you got a volt/ohm meter to see if it is a "hot" circuit, when, and what triggers it??????...............God bless.......Dennis

Can it reach the starter relay? If so, the other end probably goes to the headlight relay in the bucket. If your headlight is always on, that wire should turn it off when cranking if it's hooked up to the relay.

It does seem redundant, as your 1975 model came with a proper lightswitch with an 'off' position.

I suspect that you are looking at a wiring harness that is "ready" for the electronic tachs that came out in '77. That plug would clip to the driver's right side coil to give the coil collapse/saturate rate which the tach knows how to interpret as RPM.

You are probably correct. There is an unused lead in the headlight bucket with the end sealed up and set aside. I think it might be black as well. Thanks for the replies.

I think I'm wrong on the year for the electronic tach...I think it start with the '78s.

More importantly, I think you right about the tach. Here is the capped off black wire in the bucket.

Note that it is right next to the headlight relay. If your relay has a brown wire on it, you could replace it with that black wire and have the other end attached to the starter relay if I'm to believe the wiring diagram in the Haynes. This should result in an 'always on' headlight, except for when the starter is engaged. I think BMW put it there in anticipation of the 'always on' headlight law here in the US. The Haynes shows the hookup of the black wire as 'US models' and the brown (ground wire) setup as 'UK models.'

I have the same wire on my /6, and I've left both ends disconnected like yours. In the interest of reducing the number of parts in stock, the /6 harness includes some redundant wires. There should also be brakelight switch wire in your headlight bucket, intended to go to the mechanical switch as used on the R60 models which still had a drum brake.

Back