Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 2016-r1200rs

I remain convinced that the change to telescopic forks has to do with packaging the radiators. Yes , I know the GS and the RT are noth water cooled with telelever buth the RS cuts a more slender design.
    Paul
    Stop wrestling with your motorcycle, dance with it.
    2011 R1200RT Traded
    2014 R1200RT fully optioned

Quote Originally Posted by sedanman View Post
    I remain convinced that the change to telescopic forks has to do with packaging the radiators.
    Totally agree. This is going to be a fun bike with that motor.

Those mirror stalks appear longer than the ones on my R1100s. I would think a clear image in the mirrors is going to be a problem.
    2014 R1200 GSA (Sold: 1992 K75S, and many more)

Kool Aid Dispenser! jimvonbaden's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by k75s View Post
    Totally agree. This is going to be a fun bike with that motor.

Those mirror stalks appear longer than the ones on my R1100s. I would think a clear image in the mirrors is going to be a problem.
    They are adjustable, so maybe they will be good!

www.JVBProductions.com Now, all videos available via download or DVD, or USB for the Wethead.

Quote Originally Posted by rangerreece View Post
    Dude, you know I'm joking right?
    Yeah...but I'll post pictures anyways...just in case.

No doubt my one direction thought...but if one wants bags, a little bigger windshield and a couple other comfort items you'll be at mid RT list. 80 pound (reported) weight difference between RT and RS (add bags and such to RS lessens weight advantage). I see weight as the only major advantage (outside of style appeal) from a price-for-what-you-get comparison...MAX has them listed as $18,400 with assumed most desired options (not bags). Less fairing coverage, lose BMW considered a vast improvement in front suspension, lose radio accommodations, lose storage...but get same LC motor. Like it and RT both just think pricing is off as a comparison.
    2018 RT
    MOA #46783

I have a 2014 RT and love it. That said, there have been days where I wished for less wind protection. My wife has a 2014 GS and the width of the bars makes it difficult for her to get her knee down at the track. Adding an RS to the fleet opens many options for us. I will ride one as soon as possible.
    Paul
    2011 R1200RT Traded

Being that I'm still too young for an RT, I like the slight forward lean in riding position, and being based in California, I don't need the wind and weather protection of the RT.

I sat on the new RS and R at the San Mateo motorcycle show in November, and they are both great fitting bikes for me. I am disappointed that the beloved Telelever is missing, I really like the ride it provides. Maybe it's to give better air flow to the radiators, or maybe it's BMW knuckling under to the Press guys, just as they did with the paddle turn signal switches that I also miss.

Regardless, I think I will wait for the 2016 model before buying, just to see how the beta test models work out.
    --Darryl Richman, forum liaison
    http://darryl.crafty-fox.com

I'm really glad to see BMW bring back the RS and this seems like a terrific bike. I liked my '95 R1100RS a lot and this would be a worthy successor. I just bought a '13 GS less than 6 months ago and I don't expect to be selling it any time soon, so I guess I'll just be content to take a test ride when Gateway BMW gets a demo RS available. I have to say, the GS is totally awesome.
    Mark M, St. Louis, '13 R1200GS

I think the RS is a nice choice for me. it falls between the R and the RT. I've had an LT an RT and an R in my past , so an RS seems right this time around.

Sat on the RS and R yesterday at the International MC show in Dallas, nice to finely see new product at this show! Both are sweet, the RS seems much lower then my 14 RT which is lower then my 02. No seat adjustment butt you can get a Low, Standard and High seat. If you have a shorter inseam this bike may put a big smile on your face.

Jay

wanderer
    Quote Originally Posted by sedanman View Post
    I remain convinced that the change to telescopic forks has to do with packaging the radiators. Yes , I know the GS and the RT are noth water cooled with telelever buth the RS cuts a more slender design.
    I've been looking for a new bike for a while. I think the technical advantage of the duo lever over conventional fork has greatly diminished with the advent of dynamic suspension adjustment now offered on the R-RS, S1000, etc. The computer can take care of anti dive as well as addressing damping rates... be as good or better than duo lever.

So the new generation of front forks will slowly displace the RxGS/RT technology.

I really really like it. I don't think it could displace me off my RT, but maybe once the RT is paid off the RS will be an addition. Comfort factor will be the biggest component for me, and the RT is hard to beat.
    Current rides:
    2016 R1200RT Ebony Metallic - 12k miles
    2012 R1200GS Rallye - 18k miles
    Previous BMWs: 2013 R1200RT 90th, 2011 R1200RT-P, 2007 R1200S, 2006 R1200RT

I was excited to see the RS back but no telelever is a deal breaker for me. Guess I will stick with the RT.

I would suggest you keep an open mind. I'm reminded of a line from National Lampoon's Vacation "If you think you hate it now, wait until you drive it." Point being you might like it.
    Paul
    2011 R1200RT Traded

wanderer
    Quote Originally Posted by patiodadio View Post
    I was excited to see the RS back but no telelever is a deal breaker for me. Guess I will stick with the RT.
    I think the tele lever bikes from BMW are on their last legs from a technology standpoint. The primary benefit of the tele lever is the anti dive geometry, and lower stricton fork tubes. To get that you have a heavier, bulkier, more mechanically complex front end.

Now with ESA (sky hook, or what ever others call it) the anti dive feature is achieve with computers and electronic valving, the new fork designs and seals remove the lower striction issue.

From a marketing standpoint, BMW will sell Telelever and Paralever bikes as long as they remain their best seller...so they will be around for quite a while.