• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Battery Tender

S

SNOONE

I know there has been a thread about this before.. Can someone enlighten me on whether or not the Battery Tender Plus is the same charger as the BMW model that the dealers recommend for gel batteries?

Battery tender

My new BMW gel battery instructions read:

"Charge only with controled battery chargers with voltage limited to 14.4 V."

I had a Yuasa automatic battery charger (model 12V900) for a few years. I read on the boxes:

"Reaches 14.4 Volt peak then automatically switches to float".

So I guess I'm ok.

JPK1100

Deltran makes the Battery Tender which BMW sells and they are extremely helpful if you email or call them. I think their web site is Batterytender.com. I recently purchased a Battery Tender Plus for GEL Batteries from Deltran distributor and my assumption is there are 2 Battery Tender Pluses--one for AGM batteries and one for GEL batteries. Battery Tender Plus,plug for BMW accessory socket and shipping were $66. Unit comes with a 10 year warranty.

Just a little trivia too...you can buy the tender plugs to go into the BMW sockets from most dealers via Cycle Gadgets or from Bob's BMW and other places. I have the Tender Plus for Gel and it works okay. I have also heard from other threads on this site that using a normal tender does a Gel battery no harm as long as it is the type that floats. I did this for a while before realizing that I had a Gel battery...it did not explode and it still works fine.

JPK1100 said:
I had a Yuasa automatic battery charger (model 12V900) for a few years. I read on the boxes:

"Reaches 14.4 Volt peak then automatically switches to float".

So I guess I'm ok.

Yup and its only $29 at Aerostich. Been using it for years.

Way too much hocus pocus placed on this issue of "special battery chargers". I said it before, the alternator used on Flooded Lead Acid and Gel Cell models is the same...so why a special charger? Most automatic chargers cut out at 14.4 volts. That is all you have to look for in the specs.

Back