• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Hip Pain Cutting Into My Riding Time!!

flat_twin

Over the last five years or so hip pain is becoming more and more of a problem. About an hour into the ride my right hip gets achy and tight. I have to either let my right leg hang off the foot peg, stand on the pegs for a while or just pull over and walk around until it's better. If I push thru and keep going it just gets worse and will become so bad it takes days to subside.
I'm 55 and currently riding a 2007 RT with a Russell saddle and stock bars and pegs. I've had the RT just over two years. My previous bike was a R1100RS and the hip problem was there as well though to a lesser degree. Sitting crossed legged on the floor playing with grandkids aggravates it the same way. I have to get up and move around. No problem with a normal chair, couch or car/truck seat.
Any suggestions for exercises or PT of some kind to keep it from happening? I've resorted to taking mobic or ibuprofen before a long ride to try and head it off.

Thanks

All I can offer is to say that you should see a physician. A doctor will be the one to advise and refer you for anything from a prescription, exercises, PT or even a hip replacement.

If a hip replacement becomes part of the equation (I hope it does not), then I can tell you that I have a brother and four friends that have had both hips replaced. To a man, they all regret that they delayed having the procedure as long as they did.

Over the last five years or so hip pain is becoming more and more of a problem. About an hour into the ride my right hip gets achy and tight. I have to either let my right leg hang off the foot peg, stand on the pegs for a while or just pull over and walk around until it's better. If I push thru and keep going it just gets worse and will become so bad it takes days to subside.
I'm 55 and currently riding a 2007 RT with a Russell saddle and stock bars and pegs. I've had the RT just over two years. My previous bike was a R1100RS and the hip problem was there as well though to a lesser degree. Sitting crossed legged on the floor playing with grandkids aggravates it the same way. I have to get up and move around. No problem with a normal chair, couch or car/truck seat.
Any suggestions for exercises or PT of some kind to keep it from happening? I've resorted to taking mobic or ibuprofen before a long ride to try and head it off.

Thanks

I'm 10 years older, and have battled the same thing on the left hip...sometimes radiating pain down the front of my leg to my knee .

Well...hate to be the bearer of bad news but.....I just went to the Ortho-Doc...he said I need a new hip:brow I am researching possible Stemcell placement ..but have only begun so I've made no decisions. I did get a Cortisone shot..it helped. But the problem still exist . I have another appointment on the 15th, to discuss other possible procedures...I'll post what I find. I have tried all sorts of therapy exercises , none seem to do much....BTW I ride an R1150R-Roadster, I had an RS till "05"..it was worse on it?

Good luck, keep us posted & Happy New Year :wave

Before doing the hip replacement, discuss riding with the MD. It used to be a hip replacement ended up limiting the ability to raise the leg high enough to get on the bike, and there was some concern that in a crash the metal hip replacement could cause a disastrous fracture of the hip bones it screws into.

Just a heads up.. worth talking to the MD's.

Before doing the hip replacement, discuss riding with the MD. It used to be a hip replacement ended up limiting the ability to raise the leg high enough to get on the bike, and there was some concern that in a crash the metal hip replacement could cause a disastrous fracture of the hip bones it screws into.

Just a heads up.. worth talking to the MD's.

Yes there are several "possible" limitations involved , and some [downright] problems. Which is why I am researching "options".

A friend of mine in California,...just had one done 7 weeks ago. So the healing / recovery process is not complete. So far...he is very pleased, but is concerned about [bicycle] riding [his hobby]. He said as per the instructions of his Doc...being mine is left side . One caution I would need to take is backing up, and righting the M/C off sidestand.....

I am really hoping that the stemcell procedure is a possibility .

I have a very good ortho MD I've worked with when knee and elbow problems were causing pain. He's been able to treat those two areas with specific exercises and occasional meds. Surgery is a last resort with him and I trust him. I just haven't made an appointment to talk about the hip problem. Becoming a "papa" has reduced my two wheeled mileage more than anything else and that's perfectly fine with me. There have been fewer long distance rides in recent years but I still hit my favorite local roads when there's an opportunity. It occurred to me as we're making plans for 2015 that riding to Arkansas, a two day ride and something we've done more than a few times in the past, will be a good bit slower since I'll have to stop and stretch more often. My wife and I always stopped every 90 minutes or so anyway but there were times when we'd go a couple hours if necessary.
Thanks for the input folks. I suspect this is just one chapter of "How to keep motorcycling with an aging body"

I have a very good ortho MD I've worked with when knee and elbow problems were causing pain. He's been able to treat those two areas with specific exercises and occasional meds. Surgery is a last resort with him and I trust him. I just haven't made an appointment to talk about the hip problem. Becoming a "papa" has reduced my two wheeled mileage more than anything else and that's perfectly fine with me. There have been fewer long distance rides in recent years but I still hit my favorite local roads when there's an opportunity. It occurred to me as we're making plans for 2015 that riding to Arkansas, a two day ride and something we've done more than a few times in the past, will be a good bit slower since I'll have to stop and stretch more often. My wife and I always stopped every 90 minutes or so anyway but there were times when we'd go a couple hours if necessary.
Thanks for the input folks. I suspect this is just one chapter of "How to keep motorcycling with an aging body"

Would you care to share what those exercises are ? I have tried several, but maybe I have missed the one?

So far [my] doc..is pushing surgery...[hence the second doc appointment] because surgery is [my] last resort.

Stretching, light resistance exercise with thin wide rubber bands like those used for physical therapy helped with my knee pain. In my case going up stairs was no problem. Walking down stairs hurt like h*ll unless i turned slightly sideways. Strengthening the supporting tissues around the joint helped a lot. I should add, losing 30 lbs made the most difference with my knee pain. I'm at 205 lbs now and feeling much better in general than I was at 240 lbs.

Rest and massage helped the "tennis elbow" more than anything. I know when it's getting flared up and I avoid that as much as possible or stop and rest before it gets bad.

The more I think about it I should probably take advantage of the winter season and put a serious effort into strengthening the hip and see if I can buy some time that way. Calling Dr. Pabst.....

When I hear stories about doctors recommending joint replacement I am reminded of the saying "to a hammer, everything looks like a nail". Not to say there may not be times when that may be the only option, but only after you have exhausted all the other options first.

I have one ruptured and three bulging disks in my low back as well as a couple in my neck. If i keep up a regular regiment of yoga stretches, resistance exercises, walking and weight control I can still ride do up to about 650 miles in a day. If I slack off or gain too much weight I can end up with too much pain to enjoy riding, even for a short distance. In addition there are exercises and stretches you can do while you ride that can help as well.

I would start with a visit to U Tube and look for videos that address your specific area of discomfort. I did a quick search on hip pain relief exercises and came up with several thousand results so I suspect you can find something in there that could benefit you to some degree.

Good luck and hope you can become pain free for 2015.

Basic back-stretching: lay on your back. Pull one knee up to chest, hold, repeat a number of times. Pull the other knee up to chest, hold, repeat. Pull both knees, hold, repeat. Do a set of sit-ups.

Here's one I learned at the St. Paul rally, a yoga stretch. Scoot butt up against or close to wall. Walk your feet up as high as you can, against wall (shoes off to protect wall). This really shows how tight my back is, and how tight my legs are. I need to do these on a regular basis.

I'll check YouTube for more, thanks.

Harry

.......... I am reminded of the saying "to a hammer, everything looks like a nail"........
I like that one, reminds me of "see a surgeon, they want to cut. See an herbalist, they want to give you herbs. See an acupuncturist, they want to stick you". :eek
OM

I'm not a doctor, and I wouldn't trust one on the internet. There are a bunch of muscles to move and stabilize the hips including some tricky ones like the psoas. I've had some hand, ankle and nerve issues, and based on those experiences I'd recommend you find ortho, or sports medicine practice with an attached or associated physical / occupational therapy practice. Good therapy may alleviate surgery, but if not you'll need it after surgery.

Yes there are several "possible" limitations involved , and some [downright] problems. Which is why I am researching "options".

A friend of mine in California,...just had one done 7 weeks ago. So the healing / recovery process is not complete. So far...he is very pleased, but is concerned about [bicycle] riding [his hobby]. He said as per the instructions of his Doc...being mine is left side . One caution I would need to take is backing up, and righting the M/C off sidestand.....

I am really hoping that the stemcell procedure is a possibility .

fwiw, my dad has had both hips replaced at this point. He's had to cut back on his bicy riding tho, and has even gone to a trike to help his balance concerns. So now he's only riding about 70 miles/week instead of 100+, and can't do much more than a half century in a day. Dad turns 88 this June.
damn- i hope that most of his genetics carried over to me, and not just the arthritic shoulders.
My dad ROCKS!

and i'd have no hesitation with getting a hip replacement if necessary.

I'm 10 years older, and have battled the same thing on the left hip...sometimes radiating pain down the front of my leg to my knee .

Well...hate to be the bearer of bad news but.....I just went to the Ortho-Doc...he said I need a new hip:brow I am researching possible Stemcell placement ..but have only begun so I've made no decisions. I did get a Cortisone shot..it helped. But the problem still exist . I have another appointment on the 15th, to discuss other possible procedures...I'll post what I find. I have tried all sorts of therapy exercises , none seem to do much....BTW I ride an R1150R-Roadster, I had an RS till "05"..it was worse on it?

Good luck, keep us posted & Happy New Year :wave

Hi: To both of you. I will be 76 in August. I had my left hip replace in June 0f 2013. My hip went out in early April.
Went to the Doctor and he said it had to go, ASAP. I did not ride that year until October. (very short season that year).
It was a good move. This year we rode to the Rally in St. Paul.

If you would like talk you can me. 610 349 4168

George

Along those lines, I've considered getting my 82 R100 out of retirement. I have more leg room, knees are lower for sure and the tank is narrower so my knees don't have to be so spread apart. I could just go sit on it for an hour and see how it goes. That will give me an hour to think about old tech brakes and handling. LOL!

For comfort some RT riders swear by barbacks and peg lowering but not sure if it would help your hip issue. I am 6'3" and 180 lbs with your same bike and seat and get a very occasional hip cramp once in a great while that requires a quick stretch or stand on the pegs to relieve and have been considering both to see if it helps.

Try a GS so you are sitting upright and straight backed. Might help...Dave

Good advice no doubt....Only trouble is...how do you try one out ? :scratch Short of buying one for $20,000 + ?.......only to then find out it is no better...:brow

I just did that...trying a cruiser.....Wanna buy a Vic/Crossroad...? :whistle

There is a site called Motorcycle-ergo , that gives measurements. You start with your height & inseam. It displays seat height, knee & hip angle of various makes & models. A gauge that might help ? if it suits your situation.

I wish there was a way [on that site] to factor in bar-backs, peg-lowering, maybe different seats, etc.

I wish there was a way.........

On the cycle ergo site, click the customizations tab, to figure in risors, bar backs, etc.

Back