• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

RT Luggage replacement

gailmiller

I recently started riding and bought a nice 2010 R1200RT with 10,500 miles. The right luggage bag was scratched due to dropping the bike while stopped. The guy was pretty short and decided to go back to riding his Harleys so I got a good deal. This last weekend I stopped at the top of a mountain road near Monterey on some wet sandy soil and dumped the bike on the other side. Looked up the replacement OEM parts and they are about $535/side. I think my dealer will give me about a 15% discount but still a pretty hefty price. Also probably need to get something else to protect them since based on what I see I am not the only one with this issue. Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Saddle Bag Triage

For what its worth.

Don't remember what your model of RT bags look like but in years past someone suggested I refinish the outside of scraped bags with spray on black pick-up truck bed liner. It worked great. And it was cheap (I mean inexpensive).

If you decide to go that way - spray a little on some junk surface to see how it looks and feels after it drys.

Wayne Koppa
71,449 Life
Grayling, MI

Black replacement lids from BMW cost $206 each, or you can probably get your scratched lids repainted for half that.

I've taken the four screws out of each side case and had both lids refinished locally with paint code. Cost about $100 each. Had several scratches on the side cases due to toppling incidents. In the first photo you can see the scratches in the side case. I eventually replaced the reflectors with the BMW placard.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

I recently started riding and bought a nice 2010 R1200RT with 10,500 miles. The right luggage bag was scratched due to dropping the bike while stopped. The guy was pretty short and decided to go back to riding his Harleys so I got a good deal. This last weekend I stopped at the top of a mountain road near Monterey on some wet sandy soil and dumped the bike on the other side. Looked up the replacement OEM parts and they are about $535/side. I think my dealer will give me about a 15% discount but still a pretty hefty price. Also probably need to get something else to protect them since based on what I see I am not the only one with this issue. Any suggestions?
Thanks.

I got wunderlich bars front and back. it'll set you back a pretty penny... i think like 800 total? cant recall, but i dropped my bike twice and both times it saved the bike from scuffing up paint or worse damage:

However, if it completely falls over without you there, it'll still roll over to its side. I have some scuffed mirrors cuz of that, and my pannier is slightly scratched:

you can see the scuff marks on the panniers and bars... without those bars, the scratches would be way worse. My kickstand was slightly deployed and i was on a slope, so i lovingly watched my bike fall over from a few feet back... no time to catch it :( Sadness.

I bought the black version so its easier to hide any scuffs. I also bought the scuff protectors: http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=39137, but they're expesnive at 70 dollars per side. They are nice looking tho, goes with the bike, and when i take the panniers of, it rests on those.

I have the Wunderlich engine guards and the case protection. The combination of the two avoids a very expensive "Oops!", and works great. I had to do a quick stop and put my left boot into sand with with resulting drop. No damage other than scrapes on the bars, which took all of 15 minutes to sand and repaint. FWIW, the painted bars are preferable to the chrome because they can be repainted, as opposed to the chrome version with the obvious problem of needing to be replated.

One drop pays for these things. The only issue I have with Wunderlich is that their hardware positively sucks. Replace everything with stainless steel and save a lot of grief there. Also note that the bolt for the right side cylinder mounting is usually just a bit too long and will twist off when trying to mount the crossover bar, so be careful there.

RT12.jpg

RT13.jpg

BMWR1200RT-DARLAINSTALLATION4_zpsaf3d45fd.jpg

Ok, I'll be the idiot and say it........trade it in for a wethead and you won't drop it anymore.

Ok, I'll be the idiot and say it........trade it in for a wethead and you won't drop it anymore.

Paul, I am not sure that would solve gravity :thumb.

Besides, I have the 2011 perfectly set up, and way too much money and time invested to do a trade so it is a permanent family member. Beside that, it is just getting broken in well at 24000 miles and simply hums along at 80mph.

I am seriously trying to get over the last attack of "Farkle Virus" that infected me, and I am an active member of "Farkle Anonymous".

:ha

Thanks for the input. I will check out the options you have mentioned. I have been looking at the wet heads but I think dropping my 2010 doesn't hurt as much as dropping a new one. Besides this bike only has 16,000 miles on it and my total riding experience is 2,500 miles on a previous bike and 5,500 on this one. I have the 2010 with the decals on it so it is a little harder to match.
Gail:wave

See what your local autobody shops can do for you. Sometimes they can fit in a small job for a reasonable price and a professional job will always look better than a DIY job.

pete
2011 R1200RT (for sale)

Reece...where did you get those nameplaques...they look great!!!

I think your talking about the ones on the side cases. I ordered them from adventure motor sports, just down the street there in your neighborhood.
I pulled the reflectors off with my fingernails, just double sided tape, cleaned the surface area real good, and placed the new placards in the indention, being careful to get it right the first time. Easy peasy and cheap.

Local Body Shop

Went by my local body shop and they said they could redo my saddlebags for $200 to $300. My bike is the one that has the decal stripes so I will loose the stripes. They will still be on the front fairing but it seems to me it will look fine. Beats the $635/side price at the dealer. They said they could work with me on the price at the dealer but still a lot of money.
Thanks again for the help.
Gail

Before you bring the bike to the body shop stop by at a vynil sign shop. Let them take photos of the stripes. They can make replacement stripes fairly inexpensively. Wait a few days for the paint to cure and then let the sign shop apply the stripes.

2010 Rt lid replacement

I bought a used pair of luggage on the flea mkt. here after searching for a long time for my 08 RT and had to settle for a different color which I have to have painted so they will end up costing about $1200 and a lot of hassle, if you have to replace your lids only you`re getting them new to avoid painting labor stripping etc. but looking around for used and buying shipping and trusting the seller etc. is a lot more headaches and they`ll most likely be scratched as their preowned get the new lids ,less trouble but part of the deal with bag problems and also you`ll get stung when you sell your bike minus the bags !
Thanks.

Back