• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Final drive fill bottle

jebersole

Hi all,

I have two different brands of a plastic graduated fill bottle very similar to the one I've seen referenced in various maintenance tutorials. (They can be found at beauty supply stores, and I think BeemerBoneYard sells one.) I'd say they are pretty much the same when comparing the graduated markings. I then compared their measured volume with a Pyrex measuring cup, and found that the difference was about 10ml. If the Pyrex measuring cup is correct, then 180ml of oil measured using these plastic bottles would really be 190ml.

Now, I wouldn't normally get too worked up about 10ml (or even 20ml), but considering BMW thought it important enough to reduce the fill amount, I'm thinking it's kind of important to to get this right.

Has anyone else checked the graduated markings on these fill bottles for accuracy? I'm thinking of taking one into my local dealership and seeing if they will compare it to whatever they use to measure out the final drive oil.

--Jason

Last edited:
Actually, BMW reduced the specified fill downward from 230cc to 180cc, which on my calculator is a 50cc reduction.

Yep. You are right. The "new" initial fill is 200ml (with oil change at 180ml). That's probably where I came up with the 20ml difference. Thanks.

Alt fill

I find using a large syringe with a short length of tubing the
least messy and most accurate dispenser. Any veterinarian
can supply one. Don't forget to account for some fluid that will remain in the tubing.
Warming the oil helps for administering if you've low ambient temps.

Clear plastic bottle with a conical opening (like a restaurant ketchup bottle). Put six inches of clear tubing on it and squeeze slowly. I measured carefully the first time and marked the bottle fo future use.

I now just use the bottle to measure the amount, then pour that into a small funnel with tube attached to get the oil into the final drive. As already suggested, I also warmed up the oil the last time I changed the fluid; that sped up the process quite a bit.

My first attempt at just using the bottle was a small disaster... I won't be doing that again.

can supply one. Don't forget to account for some fluid that will remain in the tubing.

+1

^^^what he said^^^

I use the same gizmo (tech term) that I devised to fill front forks. It is an upside-down gear oil bottle with the bottom cut our, a length of tubing with a pointed fitting attached, and a wire bail from which to hang.

I measure the fluid, insert the pointed tip in the fill opening, pour in the measured fluid, and hang the gizmo above where the fluid goes.. A cup of coffee later the fluid has flowed to where I wanted it without the stress and spillage I always had with other methods.

What I use:

Bottle-label.jpg

Bottle2.jpg

Jim :brow

Back