Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Fuel

Europe uses a different rating system than the U.S.and Canada. The U.S. Octane numbers are 4-6 numbers lower than the European numbers for the exact same fuel. So if it requires 98 in Europe, it's 91-93 in North America.

Quote Originally Posted by d martin View Post
    Europe uses ROZ to rate octane while gasoline is rated by RON in North America and the K16 only needs 89 RON.
    No, it calls for 89 AKI, which is RON or ROZ + MON/2. 98 RON or ROZ =93-94 AKI. 95 RON = 91 AKI
    My Motorrad
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19

Quote Originally Posted by wbrownell9 View Post
    89 (mid-range) is the right stuff. Premium/91+ octane sounds like it'd be better but it's a waste of money because the ECU will just advance the timing to compensate for the slower burn of the higer octane. The only time premium might helm is if you have a knocking problem, and if your new bike knocks then something is wrong.

As to ethanol, I only have corn gas available and none of the theoretical issues have bit me. The longest I've had a bike sit with untreated corn gas in the tank is 3 months and it started & ran fine. I will admit that I'm not a 10/10 rider so I would never notice a 10% decrease in performance, would you?
    You have the logic or really premise wrong. It can run more advance with higher octane which produces more power. It can run on lower octane than 91, but it will make less power and probably get worse gas mileage.
    My Motorrad

Quote Originally Posted by Voni View Post
    No, but I do notice a consistent 10% decrease in gas mileage with ethanol.

Voni
    sMiling because sometimes you just have to use gas with ethanol
    I've noticed a dip in gas mileage of late. About 10%. I wonder if it's winter fuel?
    My Motorrad

Quote Originally Posted by ponch1 View Post
    I've noticed a dip in gas mileage of late. About 10%. I wonder if it's winter fuel?
    I believe the technical term for it is "crap gas".
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by Ericreed22 View Post
    That helps immensely. Thank you very much. Where I live, I have 2 choices. 90 octane ethanol free, or 93 octane premium that could contain up to 10% ethanol. I guess 93 premium it is.
    If those were my two choices I would use the 90 AKI. The owners manual says use 89 AKI and given the choice between meeting that with ethanol or without, I'd choose without. Around here where I live, there's no gas available other than at a few marinas that have no ethanol. 89 AKI (US rating) is equivalent to 95 RON. My choices are 89 or 93 AKI and I haven't seen any difference in mileage or performance (on my butt dyno) with either choice.
    2012 K1600GT, Vermillion Red (for the epic road trips) (gone but not forgotten)
    2013 S1000RR, Granite Gray (for the track)
    2014 KLR 650, White/Black (for the TAT)
    2016 R1200GS Triple Black (for all of it)

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    I believe the technical term for it is "crap gas".
    Could be. The gas here in AZ sucks. I never had pinging until I came here and I am not talking about in the high heat either. It's like they put 87 in all the tanks in the stations.
    My Motorrad

Quote Originally Posted by PittsDriver View Post
    If those were my two choices I would use the 90 AKI. The owners manual says use 89 AKI and given the choice between meeting that with ethanol or without, I'd choose without. Around here where I live, there's no gas available other than at a few marinas that have no ethanol. 89 AKI (US rating) is equivalent to 95 RON. My choices are 89 or 93 AKI and I haven't seen any difference in mileage or performance (on my butt dyno) with either choice.

It says 89 AKI minimum. At least that's what mine says and it says it on the gas cap too. That's minimum, not recommended. 98 RON would be optimal, which is 93-94 octane. 91 is the highest here in AZ that I can find for general use.
    My Motorrad

I have well over 26k on my bike, and have had no real trouble with any grade of gasoline. Here on Cape Cod, I have zero options for ethanol free, but I have had no issues anyway. I use 89 a lot, as its more cost effective. I'll dump higher octanes in when Its me, the wife, Tobi the border collie, and our huge trailer, but, I've had to run a couple of consecutive tankfulls of 87 through her with this configuration as well. All I've noticed is a 'slight' lack of power and a little knocking, WHILE at elevation when doing this, but ONLY when I have us at/over GVWR for the bike anyway. I am not sure a 93 actually gives you much of a performance boost anyway, as it burns slower than 89? I forget the many threads I;ve read on it, but that seemed to be the gist of it.

Looks like Cataumet is close with some awesome octane in the ethanol free flavor.

Quote Originally Posted by jessholderbaum View Post
    I have well over 26k on my bike, and have had no real trouble with any grade of gasoline. Here on Cape Cod, I have zero options for ethanol free, but I have had no issues anyway. I use 89 a lot, as its more cost effective. I'll dump higher octanes in when Its me, the wife, Tobi the border collie, and our huge trailer, but, I've had to run a couple of consecutive tankfulls of 87 through her with this configuration as well. All I've noticed is a 'slight' lack of power and a little knocking, WHILE at elevation when doing this, but ONLY when I have us at/over GVWR for the bike anyway. I am not sure a 93 actually gives you much of a performance boost anyway, as it burns slower than 89? I forget the many threads I;ve read on it, but that seemed to be the gist of it.
    image.jpg
    R. Reece Mullins Ebony R1200RT (Gretchen)
    MOA # 143779
    MOA Charter Club #5 and #364
    SECMOA (BMW MOA secretary)

Quote Originally Posted by rangerreece View Post
    "Cataumet" is the closest, and I know they don't carry ethanol free for road use. They are a distribute that go to the Marinas. I used to use their Bio-Diesel when I lived closer.
    ---
    Jess & Christine, the Chauffeurs, for Tobi & Skye the Border Collies.
    2013 K1600 GTL (the boys' ride), 2016 S1000XR (The grrrl's ride)
    Motorcycle Safety Foundation Coach#166465

Quote Originally Posted by jessholderbaum View Post
    "Cataumet" is the closest, and I know they don't carry ethanol free for road use. They are a distribute that go to the Marinas. I used to use their Bio-Diesel when I lived closer.
    If you interested I'd give them a call, a lot of marina fuel suppliers will sell to vehicles. Maybe I'm misinterpreting the racing logo and high octane ratings at land based racing verses boat racing. I would assume those octanes would be way too high for your standard 2cycle low compression outboard motor.
    MOA # 143779

That is one problem with the pure gas app. It sends me to marinas that are often closed or won't sell to vehicles. I learned to avoid marina type locations on that app for that reason, there are a few exceptions to the marina problemo.
    MOA # 143779

Lots of boats use old rubber lines (like mine with a I/O V8), so Marinas typically use ethanol free still (around here). Loud will provide "racing" ethanol free, by the can, but not at the pump.
    I am not sure 'if' they can actually sell it for road use, or why there are so few places to get ethanol free in the entire state of Massachusetts in general. When I purchased their BioDiesel, I'd have to pay an additional road use tax for it, unless I brought my 6-6gal gas cans and only filled them, but not the truck.

Besides, the Cataumet station is 20 miles from me, and the next closest is over 90.
    ---
    Jess & Christine, the Chauffeurs, for Tobi & Skye the Border Collies.
    2013 K1600 GTL (the boys' ride), 2016 S1000XR (The grrrl's ride)
    Motorcycle Safety Foundation Coach#166465

My high octane ethanol free gas stations are usually about 20-45 miles away. I've learned to accommodate the distance, by scheduling a "gas trip," gives me a good as any excuse to get out on the bike. Looking at the ethanol free site I was surprised to see how few stations there were in Mass. I suspect there is a political motivation on that one. I would expect the corn states to have nothing but ethanol fuel as it promotes the AG industry of their state. Not sure why the north east would be so anti-petrol. Learn something every day, minus the why of course; why is rarely answered in these manners.
    MOA # 143779