• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New K Bike owner

warthog

Just bought a used '91 K100LT. It has 55K on it and I paid $2500 for it. The first thing I did was take it to the dealer for new tires (Metzelers lasertecs), fluid change and have the spine lubed. In the process they discovered the rear main seal was shot and had leaked into the clutch which required replacing. All toll it was about a $1200 job. That brings my total outlay to a $3700. Would like to repaint but that will have to wait awhile - figure about 1000 -1500 for that. Was wondering if there are any other items I should be concerned with a bike of this age.

Good to go

While $1200.00 seems like a big hit for service on your bike (come to think of it, it IS a big hit!) be glad that it's done and over with.

Last year I bought a K1100LT with 48,000 miles on it and have had no problems with it at all - until a few weeks ago. There was a strange noise coming from the drive shaft area by my foot (See my post "What's that strange noise coming from my rearend") Like you had to replace some parts. In my case the front U-joint and some splines to the tune of $1100.00. The bike's rear tire locked up 75 feet from the dealership as I was leaving a stoplight.

It could have be a lot worse - this is the bike I took to Ohio for the National and I consider myself 'lucky' it broke where I did and I wasn't stranded, injured or thrown from my bike.

Keep up with your maintenence and both you and your bike will be very happy. That motor is bullet proof when cared for.

G2g

I had read several posts about the transmission lube and figured I should get it done because the previous owner could not tell be if it had been done. The dealer told me these bikes are rock solid as long as you keep them maintained. I figured going in that at the price I got it for that there would be some issues.

Don

I think you've about payed for all the expensive things that could go wrong and now you have a new/old bike that should last a long time.

Keep this site I list below on your favorites list. Lots of good tech articles there.

http://www.ibmwr.org/ktech.shtml

Take Care,
Eric