• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Balance Beads, ever use them?

Wait a minute, if the earth was flat wouldn't I be getting better gas mileage?:scratch

It IS flat. If it were round you'd get much worse - unless you were going south which would be downhill. Which proves my point that the earth is flat - your gas mileage is consistent heading north or south, east or west. :D

Ho Ho Ho, Merry Xmas to all and to all a goodnight:)

p.s. May you all find your socks stuffed with balancing beads. Oh, one last thought, maybe the spin balance test showed an out of balance condition with beads installed because the wheel was truly out of balance.

My new Triumph has a tire pressure monitoring system. Dealer says beads are a no no. I don't know if the beads would be harmful or not, but at $150 per sensor I will not be risking it.

I read somewhere that Earth is not flat, it's indeed round; however, the entire US is on a slant, so everything loose rolls down to California.

Merry Christmas guys!

My new Triumph has a tire pressure monitoring system. Dealer says beads are a no no. I don't know if the beads would be harmful or not, but at $150 per sensor I will not be risking it.

I've been installing the beads in TPS for years with never a problem. Just the weight of the TPS requires a lot of counter balance on the rim. I balance the rim & then ad the beads. From then on I leave the weights on the rim.

I've been installing the beads in TPS for years with never a problem. Just the weight of the TPS requires a lot of counter balance on the rim. I balance the rim & then ad the beads. From then on I leave the weights on the rim.

Hi Saddleman, I've been meaning to static balance just the wheel then mount the tire and check the balance to see how much, if at all, the balance changes but i keep forgetting to do it. I wouldn't be surprised to find out the balance hasn't changed much if at all because of today's tire manufacturing quality. Going to be awhile before I do it because all three beasts have almost new tires.

These the beads they toss down to you during Mardi Gras? I have a faint hazy recollection of that happening before I woke up in the street's gutter with a bad headache, no wallet and a bad itch I had to get shots for. They certainly did not help my balance.

Anyone on here use them?

Nope and I never will.

I can't prove that they work and the manufacturer even states you can't verify their performance on a balancer.

In the amount of time it takes to pop the beads into a tire valve, I have my tire balanced using weight.

Nope and I never will.

I can't prove that they work and the manufacturer even states you can't verify their performance on a balancer.

In the amount of time it takes to pop the beads into a tire valve, I have my tire balanced using weight.

The reason you can't verify the beads performance on a tire balancer is obvious, they don't work. Duuhhhh....

Attachments

• flat_earth_1587025.jpg
    flat_earth_1587025.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 492
The reason you can't verify the beads performance on a tire balancer is obvious, they don't work. Duuhhhh....

I'm just curious. Have you ever actually tried them? The reason a static tire balancer will not work with dynamic balance beads has been explained quite clearly. :scratch

I'm just curious. Have you ever actually tried them? The reason a static tire balancer will not work with dynamic balance beads has been explained quite clearly. :scratch

"Don't trouble me with facts; I've made up my mind."

Appears as though you're trying to teach a pig to sing.:banghead

Hi HW, Yes, I've used them when I first started changing my own tires and I admit the only reason for doing so was I was too cheap to invest in a good quality static balancer. The beads seemed like an easy fix but not necessarily the correct fix just easy. As far as the theory goes as to why a spin balancer won't show a wheel/tire in balance with beads installed I don't buy it. If the beads truly result in a wheel/tire pair in balance a spin balancer should prove it. I think the bead theory is merely an attempt at justification for a product that is basically just more snake oil. If you wish to believe in the magic beads then by all means use them, I'll take a pass and stick with proven technology.

HW, I just re-read your post and notice that you referred to a static balancer not a spin balancer. I'm sure that what you meant to refer to was a spin or dynamic balancer not static. Am I correct?

One of my new year's resolutions was to not respond to bead balancing and/or synthetic oil threads.

I've just broken the first but I'll be getting back on the wagon forthwith. :D

Back