• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Balance Beads, ever use them?

beads? we don't need no stinking beads!

Believe it or not ,dyna beads were developed for tractor trailer tires, period. Lots of folks are always looking for a easier way to do stuff which is a good thing but not in all cases. I think the beads are a lazy way to try and balance your tires. It does take more work and gadgets to static balance tires but it is still wrong to use something that really wasn't designed to be used in motorcycle tires but as we all know to well how people love to farkle their machines in different ways. They are a waste of time and little money. Why don't original manufactures use them in their vehicles?? (cars, pick-ups etc... not big rigs)I don't believe you will find a honest answer to this question because there isn't any.

Believe it or not ,dyna beads were developed for tractor trailer tires, period.

And the internet was developed just for [whatever you want to believe] and WD40 was developed for displacing water, period. But guess what, some things (like physics) work in more than one narrow area. Dynamic balancing is everywhere: it's in the swimsuit spinner at my gym and in my washing machine. And in some of my customers' motorcycle tires.

A few things for Jacque to ponder...

Fascinating explanation. I would think that the further away from the center of the tire, the centrifugal force would be greater. Therefore I would think more beads would end up at the point with the greatest centrifugal force, at the heaviest point, not the lightest. It make no sense to me why they would stay at the lightest point in the tire.

There is no such thing as centrifugal force, but there is centripetal force that acts on the object doing the circling. A ball on a string goes in a circle because the tension in the string acts on the ball pulling it towards the centre. If the string is cut, the ball does not go outward, it goes on a tangent to the circle at the point the centripetal force ceased.

In the article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centripetal_force there is the statement [that you will find surprising] " The inverse relationship with the radius of curvature shows that half the radial distance requires twice the force " which is the opposite of your thinking.

All that is in the same vein as the comments on using oil in the tire along with the beads - a bit of humour along with a bit of science and math.

Back