• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Well, she's not in the MOA yet, but today was her first step!

For those that are interested,
Mentorship rides continue wither Rhonda's progression. We have the Bluetooth intercom Schuberth helmets. This facilitates the one-on-one training in the traffic environment. Today we ventured beyond the "relatively safe limited-to-no-traffic ride to the full monte of traffic, merging, red lights, stops, starts, speeds of 65 MPH. Wall mart parking lot was a challenge; immediately and understandably. I realized I made a mistake when I told her we were going to take the next two parking spaces on the left so I whipped Ursula to the left and parked. I immediately heard Gerdy (Rhonda's bike) throttle up. I suddenly realized how difficult what I had done was for a novice. I looked back over my left shoulder and Rhonda whipped that bike into parking like a pro. All and all if I had to give her a grade it would be somewhere around a B+. Couple of minor issues to work through, but coming along swimmingly.

image.jpg

I had a line foreman who used that word when we were preparing to get an earful. :hide

Made me remember his red face and a nice laugh.

I don't even riding in WalMart parking lots and you took a newbie? Brave!!! Very impressive! Keep up the good work. I love seeing her smiles!

Thanks Tonya

I don't even riding in WalMart parking lots and you took a newbie? Brave!!! Very impressive! Keep up the good work. I love seeing her smiles!

Tomorrow, we ride to Dothan, who's traffic is notorious, for a photo shoot. Rhonda's pictures on Facebook seem to have garnered a bit of attention, and a professional photographer has taken interest in photographing her and I on our bikes. It's my impression he's doing a project on motorcycle riders who ride every day, and because female riders are in such short supply Rhonda was recommended by a mutual church friend. I doubt the photographer is a rider and would understand the delicate nature of a new riders progression. Since the news, I've been trying to delicately balance the increased OPTEMPO/compressed time line with safety and skill level/proficiency. Ironically, the riding challenge came at the same time we were going to progress to a more complex riding environment, so in a way, it represents the needed catalyst to push the boundaries. I can't emphasize how effective the schuberth intercom is in facilitating the training, I wish I had it available in some of my early mentorship. The wallmart decision evolved out of the route planing for the day; it was along the way, and we had some things we needed to pick up. I've found in my case at least, when riding a bike takes on a more utilitarian role, it's relevance increases, increasing the relevance of the training. Relevance is one of the laws of learning so I try to incorporate that into my teaching as soon as practicable.

I do agree with the relevance of the ride! Make it about something, not always just to get on and ride. Have a purpose. It does help to connect you with the bike. Good job!!

Latest update

About a one hour trip to eat lunch one hour trip back. Very enjoyable lunch ride to hugging Molly's in Abbeville, still learning but progressing nicely.
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Next big step, concurred. Enterprise AL-Pensacola Florida

Over the hills and through the woods to grandmothers house we went.

image.jpg

So a big big step, crushed. We rode to Pensacola Sunday stayed at granny's house, got up early rode to the dealership (adventure Motorsports of northwest florida) had lowering links installed new front brake leveler, heated grips, handlebar brush guards, and a brake switch. Rhonda can finally truely flat foot the bike. We rode the 2.5 hours home, stopped for lunch/dinner in crestview, and when we came out it had started raining, and hour later it was dark. So an hour of dark, raining, deer, bad driver infested roads and we finally made it home. She had quite the challenges these last three days on the bike and met them all very bravely. I'm very proud of her. When we got home I went to publix and got her a beer and roses. Our little Maltese, Ellie, was very happy that her mommy and daddy made it home.

Between the gas station run and your final leg from FL, she's getting quite the real world training!
All's good:thumb

Back