• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Headlight bulb change gone badly...

allweatherrider
Thought I should detail this mini-disaster and subsequent workaround in case this happens to any of my MOA club mates.
I was on my way to a local club meeting one Saturday this past October on my new F800GT. Turned on the ignition, the computer check did its pre-flight inside the instrument pod, and displayed an error message saying it had found a burnt headlight bulb. It turned out to be the heavily used low beam H7 bulb on the right side. We have -a lights on all the time- law in Quebec for all motorized vehicles so this did not surprise me.
Had a bulb in stock so naturally decided to change it before leaving the garage as it would only take a few minutes, right? If I had only known what was about to happen.....

Reached in, forward of the headstock, and pulled off the o-ring equipped inspection cover in order to access the bulb. I have fairly large -mitts- so everything was done blindly at this point but I've changed many headlight bulbs on various German vehicles over the years so that was only a minor inconvenience. I squeezed the wire bale that retains the bulb in position and swung it back....an ominous clink, clink, clatter sound emanated from under the machine.
Well, there was the wire bale on the garage floor (it is supposed to be captive on the headlight reflector)

GOOD GRIEF, guess I'll be late for the meeting , right?

The headlight pod is a one-piece plastic (glued together) reflector/lens assembly that is buried behind a lot of fairing parts. I didn't want to risk breaking any fairing bits by going at things willy-nilly so resigned myself to a few hours of tedious work.
It turned out to be impossible to get access to the headlight pod without removing every blasted piece of Tupperware on that bike. I did not bring it to the dealer for a possibly free warantee repair as the season was quickly coming to a close and I didn't want to forfeit any remaining riding time. The repair would probably not be covered under warantee anyway and the cost of a new reflector is $449.35 US. (component repairs are not done these days, only replacement)

Here is a photo taken with the camera set on the macro setting and stuffed into that cramped space before anything was removed from the bike.
P1_50.jpg

Here is a photo taken showing the plastic bits removed from the bike. Wasn't sure what I had to do to fix the reflector assembly at this point so I opened the patient up completely in order to determine the best procedure
P2_50.jpg
Modified paper clip shown in position on the existing OEM screw (SEE PART 2 OF THIS POST FOR THE FINAL RESULTS)
P3_50.jpg

Last edited:
Headlight bulb change gone badly_PART 2

The finished assembly works like a charm. It's a very solid installation that I will apply to the hi-beam bulb side this winter
P4_50.jpg

Kudos to the OP

I have replaced the bulbs on my F800GS multiple times and found many of the parts to be fiddly, although now I know what I am doing. In anticipation of breaking something (which I've done), I've been very careful.

What I really need is some type of hoist to grab my bike, turn it upside down and shake out about 5-7 loose spacers, bolts, washers, rubber parts, wire bails and assorted pieces that have magically disappeared into the depths of the bike. I hear them rattle when I drop them and they don't appear on the floor.

Thank you SO much for posting that! The first bulb change on my GT went ok; the second one, not so much. Dave noticed on our way home from a trip that my low beam was out. We pulled into Walmart and picked up a bulb to get me home and he couldn't get it put back together. Yup - the retainer for the spring clip had broken. He followed your instructions and put your repair into effect last night. Worked like a charm!

The H-7 is fragile at startup due to its very compact coil and the fact its hit with full voltage immediately due to the load shed relay BMW uses. on start.

Do an HID conversion and you can avoid the H-7s weaknesses and get 3200 lumens vs less than 1500. I've done a pair of F800GTs- the conversion works well on that bike and is easy.

The H-7 is fragile at startup due to its very compact coil and the fact its hit with full voltage immediately due to the load shed relay BMW uses. on start.

Do an HID conversion and you can avoid the H-7s weaknesses and get 3200 lumens vs less than 1500. I've done a pair of F800GTs- the conversion works well on that bike and is easy.

racer7, how about a little more info on this. I don't understand how the HID conversion changes the "full voltage immediately" issue on the 800. Thx.

Don't see how load shedding enters into it. Perhaps you could cite an example of a system where the headlight doesn't get hit with full voltage when it is turned on?

I can't believe this? I just had the exact same thing happen on my 2011 R1200 GS while on a trip. Your picture of the problem is identical to my situation. The head light casting broke off leaving me holding the spring clip while trying to replace a light bulb while traveling. It is $575.00 for a new head light lens on my bike. Your solution looks viable? Do you think it could be done through the light bulb porthole instead of taking a part the whole front end?

I don't know what the set-up is on your bike, but Dave was able to make this repair on my F800 GT without taking anything apart except the round cover on the back of the bulb housing.

headlight change gone badly.......

Thank you SO much for posting that! The first bulb change on my GT went ok; the second one, not so much. Dave noticed on our way home from a trip that my low beam was out. We pulled into Walmart and picked up a bulb to get me home and he couldn't get it put back together. Yup - the retainer for the spring clip had broken. He followed your instructions and put your repair into effect last night. Worked like a charm!

Glad it worked out for you! Low tech but can be accomplished just about anywhere with hand tools.
cheers,Ron:ca

I can't believe this? I just had the exact same thing happen on my 2011 R1200 GS while on a trip. Your picture of the problem is identical to my situation. The head light casting broke off leaving me holding the spring clip while trying to replace a light bulb while traveling. It is $575.00 for a new head light lens on my bike. Your solution looks viable? Do you think it could be done through the light bulb porthole instead of taking a part the whole front end?

If you are very dexterous it may be possible to install the clip arrgt thru that 60mm dia opening.... something akin to brain surgery? A magnetic screwdriver would be indispensable!
Worth a try so as to avoid having to remove all those fairing bits.

Cheers,
Ron
:ca

wire holder + washer works...

The paper clip looks to work great!! However, if you don't want to take bike apart use a small washer, put the wire latch clip first, scotch taped in place then the washer & screw in the hole (that's the hard part so it taped screw/washer to screwdriver worked like a charm) and have a flashlight taped to mirror... My problem is the H7 bulb holder melted away! I ordered ceramic holders but the came with aluminum wire. Don't know if it's good to connect copper to aluminum? Any answers for me...

If you are very dexterous it may be possible to install the clip arrgt thru that 60mm dia opening.... something akin to brain surgery? A magnetic screwdriver would be indispensable!
Worth a try so as to avoid having to remove all those fairing bits.

Cheers,
Ron
:ca

Thanks for the tip. I really did not want to take all the fairing parts off. I am going to give it a try? Thanks again for the post......
John

A brilliant repair. Kudos to you. I'd insist the dealer repair anan issue due to a marginal, at best, design. I wouldn't go to the mattresses over it but hey...might be worth a shot and maybe BMW will learn they need to kodify the design.

I did it!!!!!!

What a pain in the butt!!! Trying to get the bent wire, retainer spring, and the screw in the right position while working through the access port and around the forks of the bike? Whoo!!!

Works like a champ.......That fix on my 2011 R1200gs, keeps a pretty good sum of money in my pocket.

Thank you again 137011.

Thank you MOA forum.

John

Back