Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Headlight bulb change gone badly...

Quote Originally Posted by EvryDayRide View Post
    I can't believe this? I just had the exact same thing happen on my 2011 R1200 GS while on a trip. Your picture of the problem is identical to my situation. The head light casting broke off leaving me holding the spring clip while trying to replace a light bulb while traveling. It is $575.00 for a new head light lens on my bike. Your solution looks viable? Do you think it could be done through the light bulb porthole instead of taking a part the whole front end?
    If you are very dexterous it may be possible to install the clip arrgt thru that 60mm dia opening.... something akin to brain surgery? A magnetic screwdriver would be indispensable!
    Worth a try so as to avoid having to remove all those fairing bits.

Cheers,
    Ron

wire holder + washer works...

The paper clip looks to work great!! However, if you don't want to take bike apart use a small washer, put the wire latch clip first, scotch taped in place then the washer & screw in the hole (that's the hard part so it taped screw/washer to screwdriver worked like a charm) and have a flashlight taped to mirror... My problem is the H7 bulb holder melted away! I ordered ceramic holders but the came with aluminum wire. Don't know if it's good to connect copper to aluminum? Any answers for me...
    Shelleyundefined

Quote Originally Posted by 137011 View Post
    If you are very dexterous it may be possible to install the clip arrgt thru that 60mm dia opening.... something akin to brain surgery? A magnetic screwdriver would be indispensable!
    Worth a try so as to avoid having to remove all those fairing bits.

Cheers,
    Ron
    Thanks for the tip. I really did not want to take all the fairing parts off. I am going to give it a try? Thanks again for the post......
    John

A brilliant repair. Kudos to you. I'd insist the dealer repair anan issue due to a marginal, at best, design. I wouldn't go to the mattresses over it but hey...might be worth a shot and maybe BMW will learn they need to kodify the design.

I did it!!!!!!

What a pain in the butt!!! Trying to get the bent wire, retainer spring, and the screw in the right position while working through the access port and around the forks of the bike? Whoo!!!

Works like a champ.......That fix on my 2011 R1200gs, keeps a pretty good sum of money in my pocket.

Thank you again 137011.

Thank you MOA forum.

John