Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Math Nerds Rejoice!

Rally Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    All history is military history.
    No. All history is a case study in economics. Military history is a by-product.

Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    Perhaps the economics of warfare.
    Kevin Huddy
    Silver City, Montana
    MOA# 24,790 Ambassador

Rally Rat

Smile

Nah. That's like saying a 2015 Corvette is the by-product of internal combustion.

We celebrate the Sting Ray - not the chemistry.

Rally Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by greenwald View Post
    Nah. That's like saying a 2015 Corvette is the by-product of internal combustion.

We celebrate the Sting Ray - not the chemistry.
    Nah, it's like saying the 2015 Corvette is a product derived from the development of the internal combustion engine. Without the engine, the 205 Corvette would be a fancy Amish buggy.

The Jim Burke, "Connections" series on PBS, airing 1970~1980's, was a classic.

In some cases, war spawns technical development that impacts the world's population with new products and capabilities, as demonstrated by WW1 and WW2. In others, like the persistent tribal and civil wars in Africa and the middle east, it doesn't. In the case of the US Civil War and WW1 Trench Warfare, technology had actually progressed beyond the military theory and the commanding officers were, in many cases, like Petersburg in the US and the WW1 trenches, incapable of adapting.
    Last edited by 36654; 03-16-2015 at 11:17 AM.

Rally Rat

Smile

Nah, it's like saying the 2015 Corvette is a product derived from the development of the internal combustion engine. Without the engine, the 205 Corvette would be a fancy Amish buggy.

The Jim Burke, "Connections" series on PBS, airing 1970~1980's, was a classic.

In some cases, war spawns technical development that impacts the world's population with new products and capabilities, as demonstrated by WW1 and WW2. In others, like the persistent tribal and civil wars in Africa and the middle east, it doesn't. In the case of the US Civil War and WW1 Trench Warfare, technology had actually progressed beyond the military theory and the commanding officers were, in many cases, like Petersburg in the US and the WW1 trenches, incapable of adapting.
    Good points.

Actually, I have to agree with that statment. The more I study war, to include the wars I've fought in, I always find greed and selfishness wrapped in virtuous rhetoric as the overall motivator of one or more of the belligerents.

The hearts of the Warriors, more often than not, pure... true believers.
    R. Reece Mullins 2022 Sport Blue R1250RT (Anja)
    MOA # 143779
    MOA Charter Club #5 #364 #100 #1
    BMW MOA President

Rally Rat

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by rangerreece View Post
    Actually, I have to agree with that statment. The more I study war, to include the wars I've fought in, I always find greed and selfishness wrapped in virtuous rhetoric as the overall motivator of one or more of the belligerents.

So true. Sort of an extreme extension of "...follow the money," only on a global scale.

My son (member of the "Iron Brigade" of the 4th Infantry Div.) is now deployed to the Middle East - not his first rodeo there. (You can follow them @ https://www.facebook.com/3BCT4ID?pnref=story )

Warriors all - God-willing, home safe by Thanksgiving.

Rally Rat
    along the wisconsin river here in central wisconsin
    I ride for pi too!

Rally Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by rangerreece View Post

"Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel." attributed to Dr. Samuel Johnson, the guy that wrote the Dictionary.

Rally Rat

Smile

"Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel." attributed to Dr. Samuel Johnson, the guy that wrote the Dictionary.

Nah. He was a zealous Tory and his 'dictionary' was later eclipsed by the Oxford Dictionary and of course, our own Mr. Webster.

I stand with the Ranger.

Sam Johnson should have paid better attention to John Stuart Mill....

"War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
    Kevin Huddy
    Silver City, Montana
    MOA# 24,790 Ambassador

Rally Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by greenwald View Post
    Nah. He was a zealous Tory and his 'dictionary' was later eclipsed by the Oxford Dictionary and of course, our own Mr. Webster.

I stand with the Ranger.
    Ranger and Dr. Johnson said the same thing.

Relative to the OED, it only took the preeminent University 173-yrs to over take the good Dr. Johnson. That's not a bad run.

Noah Webster actually preceded the OED with his American Dictionary in 1828.

Rally Rat

"War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
    If Dr. Johnson hadn't died 22-yrs before Mill's birth, he might have considered some of Mills opinions.

If Dr. Johnson hadn't died 22-yrs before Mill's birth, he might have considered some of Mills opinions.
    Another example of bad planning on Sam's part.
    Kevin Huddy
    Silver City, Montana
    MOA# 24,790 Ambassador

Rally Rat

Smile

I like that quote and agree, though 36654 has an impressive command of history.

You gentlemen have morphed a math thread into an amazing banter of history.

Even more amazing is that it has not yet morphed into an oil discussion!