• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Math Nerds Rejoice!

The ultimate,perfect Pi day

Today at 9:26 and 53 seconds will be the ultimate Pi day:3 14 15 92653. I can't believe the media didn't cover it. To me ,Pi day is much more interesting than Washington politics. My two brothers and I celebrated with a pecan pie (the official pie of Texas). We measured the diameter of the pie and multiplied by 3.141592653. We then divided this by 3 to precisely divide the pie. Unfortunately, we didn't get to do it at 9:26, we were a little bit late. If you missed today's celebration, you can wait a hundred years for the next one.

As one of my Industrial Technology professors in college used to say: Precision is when you measure with a micrometers, mark with chalk, and cut it with a chainsaw.

Today at 9:26 and 53 seconds will be the ultimate Pi day:3 14 15 92653. I can't believe the media didn't cover it. To me ,Pi day is much more interesting than Washington politics. My two brothers and I celebrated with a pecan pie (the official pie of Texas). We measured the diameter of the pie and multiplied by 3.141592653. We then divided this by 3 to precisely divide the pie. Unfortunately, we didn't get to do it at 9:26, we were a little bit late. If you missed today's celebration, you can wait a hundred years for the next one.

As one of my Industrial Technology professors in college used to say: Precision is when you measure with a micrometers, mark with chalk, and cut it with a chainsaw.

Not to rain on all math nerd's parade, but an enormous amount of 'Kentucky Windage' had to be taken to rationalize today's significance.

How convenient that when dissecting 3.141592653, that we leave off the first two digits of the calendar year. We simply ignore things like 1715 or 1815 or 2015 and just make use of the '15' in order to make this work.

That kind of "moldable Playdough logic" doesn't sit well in purist math circles.

So, while "Pi Day" can certainly be celebrated each and every year our race still adheres to the Julian Calendar, the ultra-cool sequence of 3.141592653 happened only once in human history - in the year 15 A.D. :deal

Not to rain on all math nerd's parade, but an enormous amount of 'Kentucky Windage' had to be taken to rationalize today's significance.

How convenient that when dissecting 3.141592653, that we leave off the first two digits of the calendar year. We simply ignore things like 1715 or 1815 or 2015 and just make use of the '15' in order to make this work.

That kind of "moldable Playdough logic" doesn't sit well in purist math circles.

So, while "Pi Day" can certainly be celebrated each and every year our race still adheres to the Julian Calendar, the ultra-cool sequence of 3.141592653 happened only once in human history - in the year 15 A.D. :deal

Party Pooper.

By your own logic, it happened twice, in 15AD and 15BC.

We were on the Jewish calander then... Not the same, wouldn't have worked. History nerds rejoice!

Excuse me, but I can assure you, my northern European ancestors, were possibly following a Roman or Germanic tribe calendar. The Jewish population in the time of 0 AD extended along the eastern edge of the Mediterranean from Alexandria to the Bosphorus.

We were on the Jewish calander then... Not the same, wouldn't have worked. History nerds rejoice!

Julius Caesar introduced his calendar in 45 B.C., and it was followed throughout the Roman world, much of Europe and even European settlements in the Americas.

Though later superceded by the Gregorian Calendar, that only added .002% days to the calculations.

As 36654 graciously corrected me, 3.141592653 occurred but twice in human history: 15 B.C. and 15 A.D.

However, a generic Pi Day still occurs every year in March, so go have a slice. :dance

Julius Caesar introduced his calendar in 45 B.C., and it was followed throughout the Roman world, much of Europe and even European settlements in the Americas.

Though later superceded by the Gregorian Calendar, that only added .002% days to the calculations.

As 36654 graciously corrected me, 3.141592653 occurred but twice in human history: 15 B.C. and 15 A.D.

However, a generic Pi Day still occurs every year in March, so go have a slice. :dance

However, Caesar never picked a year 0. At best, they referenced years since the founding of Rome.

But......as the Engineers say....3.14 is close enough. Eat the Pie and be happy.

My head hurts. Anybody got some tin foil ? :hungover

Sure- do some measuring. You will need a tape measure an working knowledge of the PI formula. Decide on the gauge of the foil taking into consideration head shape. We can fix you up. :wave
OM

Sure- do some measuring. You will need a tape measure an working knowledge of the PI formula. Decide on the gauge of the foil taking into consideration head shape. We can fix you up. :wave
OM

Arai or Shoei head shape?

Last edited:
Back