• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Anyone put a louder horn on an R1200GS LC?

I used the Nautilus I had on my camhead on my '17 GS. To make room I mounted the Nautilus in place of the stock horn and moved the stocker over to the opposite side.
They are hooked up to an EZcan unit so actually the both work, and strobe the Denali D2s when used, which is an EZcan function.

Air Horn Motor

1 Air horns utilize motor-driven air pumps which take an instant to come up to speed (pressure), so you will notice a split-second delay if you leave the stock horn on, too. You'll get used to it.

2. In my opinion, an easier and more elegant installation (compared to the video) is to use the Hex EZCan, which itself functions as a compact relay, plus you can do other trick things with it (add lights, heated jacket, etc.)

3. I wasn't thrilled with the option of dangling the heavy air pump between the forks so I mounted it securely near the rear seat (see photos.) I bought a cheap air horn unit on Ebay, then split the horn from the motor and mounted them separately. Plus, the wiring from the EZCan to the horn pump is only about 10". Not a lot of room there, but it will fit if you work at it.

IMG_20180117_090836.jpg

IMG_20180117_090846.jpg

...agreed, not comfortable with the pump hanging down near the forks at all. I mounted mine on the other side behind the side panel. Fit nicely.

I used the same horn that Jim has for my K1300GT. I mounted it on the plate on the left side in front of the ABS module.

Side panel?

...agreed, not comfortable with the pump hanging down near the forks at all. I mounted mine on the other side behind the side panel. Fit nicely.

Interesting. I didn't know it would fit there. Nice to see how others are solving problems.

Interesting. I didn't know it would fit there. Nice to see how others are solving problems.

Yeah, you can separate the pump from the horn itself, and run longer vacuum tubing and plave the parts wherever you want.
I was able to mount the horn on the stock mount if I remember right. Then moved the OEM horn over to the other side (I think).
Once you pull the side panels yoou cab get a better idea.

I have installed several air horn split units, none on our bikes as I just seem to be a non-honker typically. Have replaced roadrunner beeper to a Fiamm unit on ours ,mostly H's bikes when the original one croaked. My 05RT had the dual stockers and was plenty loud.

I have observed that honking is a regional thing for some. Have had NY folks here riding in my truck that wanted me to "blow the horn" for almost any situation:laugh Have been in spots where everyone is honking for no real reason:scratch

I had more bad things happen for honking at crazies than to just make a safe move and keep my blood pressure low.The NFL defensive lineman sized fellow who came out of his vehicle running back to me in a western state made me rethink the long blast I gave him for being a dumba$$. My save on that one was there were a lot of observers and he powered down:eek

I know it's another tool in the kit for safety, but just not one that I feel compelled to use often.I commuted in Houston and Austin for years and maybe honked ten times.

Honk On:wave

Who sells the installation kit (with the longer replacement screw and angle bracket) they show in the video here in the states, and will it work on the 2014GSLC? All I can find are kits for hanging on the frame behind one of the cylinder heads.

I got mine at Twisted Throttle, I think it was $19.95 USD. This was the hanger between the fork tubes.

By the way, I ordered the Smart Can, ver. 2.0 D-4 lights, Soundbomb and their rear modulating tail light.

I'm still waiting on the mount for the lights, but this stuff is well thought out and really clean. The above set-up only requires two connections, from the new tail light to the Smart Can - EVERYTHING else is already a factory fitting. No extra relays to hang somewhere in the front of the bike. Shouldn't take much to install. Good Luck.

I too didn't want to hang it between the forks, so with these long winters I went to work.
Clearwater CanOpener fires it up.
I made a bracket to install it in the stock horn's position.
IMG_1507.JPG

From under the fender:
IMG_1509.JPG

The compressor is mounted to the side of the radiator.
I had to remove the plastic and do a little grinding on the compressor housing.
IMG_1508.JPG

Back