• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Lowering an airhead?

rkover1

Aloha all,

I've done a search on this topic, but most of the responses here are older.

I'm 5'2", with a 26" inseam and would love to own an airhead. I realise that there are some significant challenges associated with this, but I wonder if it is realistic at all to expect to be able to fit. I'm not expecting to be able to flat-foot, but if I could at least get my toes firmly down, that could work. I also realise that the stock center and side stands will no longer be functional as intended.

The suggestions I've seen so far seem to be: lower rear shocks, a replacement triple clamp that will allow the forks to slide up, metric-sized tires and a redone seat to make it both lower and narrower.

Has anyone done this recently? Or is an airhead truly "out of reach"?

Mahalo!

doc

Little has changed about techniques to do what you are asking in the last 30 years. Whatever you find, no matter how old, use it..............On another note, my short legged wife rode an R65 for a long time before she graduated to an R80ST...........Anyway, she was 5'3 and did just fine...............God bless.........Dennis

R65

My understanding is that the early R65s had a lower frame. But they are very hard to come by.

doc

Hagon shocks will sell you short shocks

You can get shorter shocks for the rear of the bike and then pick up one of those billet aluminum top triple clamps that will let you slide the front forks up an inch or 2, that an get you flat footed in no time and for about $400.

You can get shorter shocks for the rear of the bike and then pick up one of those billet aluminum top triple clamps that will let you slide the front forks up an inch or 2, that an get you flat footed in no time and for about $400.

Also, there is nothing magic about the tops of the fork tubes that a good machine shop can't cut off and replicate on the shorter tube if you need another inch or so.

The limitations are cost.

You'll have to consider changes to the center stand and the side stand. Neither will work very well with any significant distance that the bike is lowered.

Doc, before seriously considering the suggested mods, you may want to sit on the bike and see what you think of the stock configuration. Then go from there to modify it. It may not be that big of stretch. With the exception of the oilhead C and CL models, the airheads (excluding the GS's), have some of the lowest factory seat heights of the BMW motorcycles. Good luck in your search. gp

I've sat on a few airheads at the dealer, but found both feet WAY up in the air. If I was to get one foot down, I probably would have the bike leaning far enough that it would want to keep going.

I had an 2006 GS650 that fit me well, which had a claimed seat height of 30.7 inches. If I can get an airhead down to that level, I think I ought to be good. A narrower seat would definitely be a big help!

doc

Claimed seat height on an R100/7 is 31.9 inches. Probably pretty much same for all similar period Airheads. The R65 prior to 1980 is claimed to be 30.3 inches.

I think you're going to have to do the sit-down test. Hard to believe that 31.9 versus 30.7 would make that much difference...probably the shape of the seat has a lot to do with it.

I think you're going to have to do the sit-down test. Hard to believe that 31.9 versus 30.7 would make that much difference...probably the shape of the seat has a lot to do with it.

Absolutely! The seat on my 650 was much narrower and it was an easy reach to the ground.

doc

I am also height challenged and have owned a few airheads. On previous bikes I have lowered the seat height by removing foam and narrowing them. It works well and helped a lot. Having shorter legs made the shortened distance from seat to pegs not an issue. On my current R100rs I have Wilber's shocks on the back that are lowered 1/2 inch and a toastertan top clamp that allowed me to lower the front to match. That in addition to reworking the seat has made it the most comfortable ride yet.

I am also height challenged and have owned a few airheads. On previous bikes I have lowered the seat height by removing foam and narrowing them. It works well and helped a lot. Having shorter legs made the shortened distance from seat to pegs not an issue. On my current R100rs I have Wilber's shocks on the back that are lowered 1/2 inch and a toastertan top clamp that allowed me to lower the front to match. That in addition to reworking the seat has made it the most comfortable ride yet.

Thanks for that. It's encouraging. So maybe there is a way to get -- and ride -- an old airhead.

Now to found one. There're pretty rare here on the Big Island.

Mahalo!

doc

Back