• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2016 Rally location?

Giants Eat Big!

Something for everyone. Well done on the bottom.

Rik, pick one up for your Sous.

Billings may have met all of the criteria for a rally site, but living in Montana as I do.......it's my (and most of my friends) least favorite town in Montana.
Bozeman would have been a MUCH better choice. The Billings rally site is located right next to two oil refineries and a sewage treatment plant.....in the most depressed part of town?:scratch

My wife was born in Billings, and we visit folks there pretty regularly. Not the most scenic part of Montana by a long shot. I always feel like asking my wife's relatives if they've been to other parts of Montana.

There is an abundance of truly great riding not far from Billings in many directions though. For those of you planning to ride Bear Tooth Pass on the way and enjoy spirited mountain riding, I'd recommend staying overnight around Cody WY and getting up early the next morning. This time of year the road can get pretty crowded and passing opportunities can be rare. Ride the Chief Joseph Scenic Highway to get there and you will have a great day of riding.

And likely via Marienville, PA....

... especially if your a GS Giant, ...or even if your mildly interested & a just a GS Midget!
Not really confusing. Everybody's gotta be somewhere Sunday till Wednesday before Hamburg!

"travel'n" john

As a kid, we lived for a few years in Plattsburgh, NY, as Dad was a B-47 pilot. My big sisters is still there as she married a local. Hmm, Plattsburgh is about six hours away from Hamburg.

Although NY in summer, the memories of 90F temps and 90% humidity and the din of mosquitoes does make a motel seem attractive.

The Finger Lakes are gorgeous as are the Adirondacks, both of which are within striking distance.

Although NY in summer, the memories of 90F temps and 90% humidity and the din of mosquitoes does make a motel seem attractive.

Its a great place to be from. :D

Although, as a kid, we used to drive down from Montreal to enjoy the beach at Plattsburgh. Unfortunately, I'll be giving the Hamburg rally a pass.

Has anybody noticed that, if you're still in Billings, you could just get on I-90 east and ride to the 2016 rally without one route change?

Makes it easy for those of us without a GPS. Nice planning, MOA! :laugh

Has anybody noticed that, if you're still in Billings, you could just get on I-90 east and ride to the 2016 rally without one route change?

Given the distance, you might want to get started now. :dance

A..................
Although NY in summer, the memories of 90F temps and 90% humidity and the din of mosquitoes does make a motel seem attractive.....................

90 degree days are rare in Western NY, especially that close to lake Erie. I am inland 40 miles and we have not seen a single 90 degree day this year. I believe the average is 3, 90+ days/year so it is rare.

Any idea when info will be released about hard roof lodging at the local community college or similar location?

Jason

The "answer man" is evidently moving...

.... information (slowly for sure, 45 days now!) into the thread of "2016 Nat'l MOA Rally, Hamburg"; that should stay at near top of page (Rally Forum)...
till about October 2016. No matter how long the Billings Event remains displayed as prominent under the Events sub-header
(60+ days now since event)...along with a Registration opportunity(?)...

WE the typical attendee weigh options for Hamburg! Good luck Jason.

"travel'n" john

When Barley and I were riding to the Billings Rally we picked up US 20 near Sioux City. I remember the Zumo telling me to "Continue 367 miles, then turn right on unpaved road." Made me laugh, and because he heard me laugh, Barley wagged enthusiastically. Good memory!

Back