• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BeadRider Ceramic bead seat cover ???

wyman.winn

i should be out riding!
need opinions and size info on the BeadRider Ceramic beaded seat cover for a 2013 R1200RT.....

good, bad, size issues etc....

thanks for any and all comments...

wyman

The ceramic beads help with ventilation in hot weather but for me they did not significantly improve the overall comfort of the stock seat. The backside still got sore in an hour or two of riding. The beads also raise your seat height by about 3/4 of an inch if that is an issue for you.

Wyman - I think you've made a good move. I rode on the OEM saddle for four years. I found I had a comfort range of about 250 miles per day; I went from Seattle to Sacramento in one shot of about 700 miles and was crippled. I added a wood Beadrider and about doubled the range; was able to go 800+ miles one day and it was better but not really pretty. The Beadrider does significantly reduce the effectiveness of the seat heater.

Put a Sargent saddle on last spring and I'm in heaven. No monkey butt at all any more. I rode several 500-600 mile days in succession going California to Wisconsin and back with absolutely no issue. I'm now seriously contemplating an Iron Butt.

JayJay

They are well worth the money. I previously referred to the stock seat as the one-hour seat. I can now ride for multiple hours before any discomfort starts but a great thing about the beads is that it allows you to more easily move around on the seat vs. lifting to reposition your rear. The BeadRider is priceless for improving airflow and helping to prevent monkey butt.

No regrets here.

Let us know what you think when you get it.

I'm on my second Bead Rider. The wooden one faded and eventually the string holding the beads broke. Now that winter is here I've put my Alaskan Leather pad on top of the beads.

riding on beads

I have been riding my 05 GS with the ceramic bead rider for the last 2 years and I won't take it off until it's wore out.

bead rider

They are well worth the money. I previously referred to the stock seat as the one-hour seat. I can now ride for multiple hours before any discomfort starts but a great thing about the beads is that it allows you to more easily move around on the seat vs. lifting to reposition your rear. The BeadRider is priceless for improving airflow and helping to prevent monkey butt.

No regrets here.

Let us know what you think when you get it.

+1 !!!

Live in CA Central Valley. Had a bead rider on my last bike, 2001 R1100RT with stock seat. Had the bead rider on for one season and liked it. However, when I took it off, it had caused the seat covering to crack all over under where the bead rider was. Don't know if anyone else has had that problem or not, but it was a bummer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BeadRider thoughts...

well, i have had the Ceramic BeadRider on my RT for a couple of 80mile round trip commutes and here are my impressions...

the heated seat feature is, of course, worthless with the BeadRider installed....figured that!

the flow through ventilation is VERY effective and probably quite nice in the hot weather, but now it is cool, IT'S COLD down there...LOL

no issues with rain water accumulation in the crotch area with the BeadRider...figured that too!

BUT, the BeadRider Ceramic beaded seat is REALLY slippery when accelerating hard, too much so that i may try to glass bead the beads to increase the friction...

but overall i like the fit and finish of both the rider and pillion covers and i ordered the quick release hold downs and only needed one for each cover...VERY nice product and well worth the modest investment...

wyman

I like the sheepwool/skin on my seat. I have had one for at least 15 years in all kinds of weather. 30 degrees to 110 degrees. I had tried a bead type seat but did not like it.

Slippery BeadRider update...

in my previous post i mentioned that the Ceramic BeadRider is quite slippery during hard acceleration...

well, i seem to have solved the problem...:)

i glass bead blasted (AL beads-80psi-100% coverage) the ceramic beads completely adding a mat or frosted finish, not rough by any means but not glass smooth as delivered. This adds just enough "grip" to the beads that the cover is not nearly as slippery....success i say....

I did my IBA SS1000 with my sheepskins because my wooden beads shredded just before I left. Pulled the sheepskins at 500 miles, and rode with stock for the bottom 500. Glad I did, bc at 10 pm, I needed my seat heater. Now that I have my ceramic bead seats, I'm back in business and have my sights on a CC50. It's a wise move...
Good Luck,
Jim

Back