Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: LED Aux lighting from BMW

Hard to beat an extra 12,000 lumens of conspicuity. Clearwater Erikas with the Can Opener.

FullSizeRender 50.jpg
    2015 R1200RT
    Ilium Crash Bars, Illium Pegs, Clearwater Erikas, Wunderlich Touring Screen, Wunderlich Vario Levers, Bakup Rest, Paint-Matched 49L Top Case.

Hard to beat

Quote Originally Posted by rmeisen View Post
    Please could you post a picture of the switch and how it is placed? There's an awful lot going on without any extra on the left side already.

Thanks
    Ron
    Has anyone installed the aux lights themselves using the Factory Switch? I bought the switch and clamp and everything, but it's got a long cord on it like it has to be run all the way back to the Bike Brain. And then I'm told I have to have a tech turn that circuit on.

I got the Ilium mounts and put them on the Wunderlich bars. I also got Cree LED lights really cheap... 25 bucks a piece. Saved tons over other options.

Quote Originally Posted by macklinlr View Post
    If you are going to go with the BMW lights, I highly recommend installing them yourself. It is not a difficult job but will require the dealer to flash the computer. I ordered mine through Chris at All Seasons in Ohio, installed them myself, and saved hundreds compared to the quote you received.
    macklinlr,

Where was the plug for the handlebar mounted switch? I'm in the process of pulling the Tupperware to track it down. Any info you have would save me wire tracing time...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spazpilot View Post
    Has anyone installed the aux lights themselves using the Factory Switch? I bought the switch and clamp and everything, but it's got a long cord on it like it has to be run all the way back to the Bike Brain. And then I'm told I have to have a tech turn that circuit on.

I got the Ilium mounts and put them on the Wunderlich bars. I also got Cree LED lights really cheap... 25 bucks a piece. Saved tons over other options.
    I install the BMW LED Aux lights, the wire goes behind the left front panel you will see the connection. Yes the dealer does need to activate, it's done by the computer hook up, some day the GS911 will do this...

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by strataj View Post
    I install the BMW LED Aux lights, the wire goes behind the left front panel you will see the connection. Yes the dealer does need to activate, it's done by the computer hook up, some day the GS911 will do this...

Jay
    Jay,

Thanks for the info. I figured out where to plug it all in... Now I have a new problem...
    Looking at the wiring, there are 4 wires going to each light. I didn't buy the BMW brand LED's so my lights only have the traditional 2 wires (Pos, Neg). Any idea wheat the extra 2 are for? I know that these lights go off when you use High beams so I'm assuming it has something to do with the switch... Maybe it's part of the CAN so you know when a light is out...

Stabs in the dark at this point.

Jay,

Thanks for the info. I figured out where to plug it all in... Now I have a new problem...
    Looking at the wiring, there are 4 wires going to each light. I didn't buy the BMW brand LED's so my lights only have the traditional 2 wires (Pos, Neg). Any idea wheat the extra 2 are for? I know that these lights go off when you use High beams so I'm assuming it has something to do with the switch... Maybe it's part of the CAN so you know when a light is out...

Stabs in the dark at this point.
    That's wild, 4 leads? Since I was all BMW it was plug and play. I'm going out of town so I may not sure if I'll have time look but I see what I can find out.

Jay

That's wild, 4 leads? Since I was all BMW it was plug and play. I'm going out of town so I may not sure if I'll have time look but I see what I can find out.

Jay
    I just took a look, yep 4 wire, the brown must be the ground. I'd look closely at the switch if it's like a normal switch it will open and close the hot wire. I couldn't tell you why they have 4 wire???

Good luck

Jay

I just took a look, yep 4 wire, the brown must be the ground. I'd look closely at the switch if it's like a normal switch it will open and close the hot wire. I couldn't tell you why they have 4 wire???

Good luck

Jay
    Yah, thanks Jay. I figured the same... Brown is Ground, Red w/purple is hot. Can't test it till I have them reprogram the computer. But if the other wires are canbus related I'm worried I'll get computer errors.

I may just scrap using all the factory wring, take everything back for a refund, and wire my non BMW lights off my PDM60.

I may just scrap using all the factory wring, take everything back for a refund, and wire my non BMW lights off my PDM60.
    Is that what you did?

I am wrestling with the main issue: with the LED headlight, which is already an improvement, do I really need aux lights for conspicuity? BMW, or Clearwater, or Denali, all are expensive. The BMW aux lights cost more, but not that much more than the others. All are over $600.00, at least the ones that fit with the Canbus system.

Harry
    My fleet: 2015 R1200GS, 2017 Toyota Prius Prime (plug-in hybrid)

Quote Originally Posted by AKsuited View Post
    Is that what you did?

I am wrestling with the main issue: with the LED headlight, which is already an improvement, do I really need aux lights for conspicuity? BMW, or Clearwater, or Denali, all are expensive. The BMW aux lights cost more, but not that much more than the others. All are over $600.00, at least the ones that fit with the Canbus system.

Harry
    Harry,

Yup, took it all back and ran the lights off my PDM60, Also got the PDM on a better trigger wire so they don't stay on for 90 seconds after the bike is off.
    I think, from a conspicuous standpoint, the fog lights help. I also think they illuminate the road a little better. I bought these:
    http://www.banggood.com/CREE-U5-Moto...-p-941300.html
    I took off all the transformer armor and used just the lights attached to the Ilium Works Light posts, off my Engine Guards.

I'll post a pic here in a bit.

Update...
    After a 4 day trip, the lights are having issues. I'm going to try something from Superbrightleds.com
    Last edited by spazpilot; 06-11-2015 at 05:25 PM.

I went with the BMW aux LED lights.

These lights have a nice, flat top pattern shining on wall.

I am wondering about the proper aim of these lights - the light pattern is now set quite a bit lower than "bulb height." Where do you guys set the aim? I am sure it should be lower than bulb height, but how much lower?

thanks,

Harry
    My fleet: 2015 R1200GS, 2017 Toyota Prius Prime (plug-in hybrid)

On with keyless entry, off with engine start

Anyone else notice that the BMW aux lights come in when you hit the keyless start (no green indicator on dash) and go off when engine starts. That seem exactly the opposite of the main lights.

Did they get something wrong when they flashed the Canbus?

Ron

Denali D2

I had dealer installed Denalis on a 2015 RT and I have experienced radio interference with the lights on. Nobody knows why, but changing to BMW lights.
    Anybody have radio issues with any light kits?