• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

New S1000R clutch issue

not2brite

Just got a new S1000R and have an possible clutch issue I've never had on another bike. I'm hoping it's something someone will recognize. At less than 40 miles, I noticed an intermittent momentary catch as I release the clutch lever. It feels like the cable or the clutch itself hangs up momentarily, then releases sharply. But never on the lever pull in; only on lever release. Other facts: Fraction of a second only. No noise. Happens maybe once in five pulls, and I can't tell if it's related to a particular gear. Can't duplicate it when the bike is in neutral. Shifts normally otherwise, and the quick shift assist works fine as well. I wonder if it's simply breaking in/misadjusted and will go away in a couple hundred miles. I wiill call the dealer on Tuesday, but thought I'd give this a try. Thanks.

Followup for anyone who comes upon this thread with the same question: After some research today on several other forums, I'm going with the S1000R slipper clutch as the cause of my issue. Apparently, a slipper clutch in a HP bike using a solid clutch cable (versus a hydraulic clutch) can briefly transmit a noticeable vibration up to the clutch lever as the slipper clutch operates. Doesn't happen every time. Related to how I release the clutch and the throttle position. Same issue is reported on forums from Aprilia, Ducati and KTM. So that's what I'm going with.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this. I just got my bike and noticed the same on my first ride yesterday...sounds like a classic case of "They all do that".

Back