• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Latest Problem with vBulletin

bobbymacd

Profile picture won't upload...message says "file failed to upload." Tried two different JPGs each less than 200k.

Is there a more user unfriendly and bug-ridden platform for a forum than vBulletin? Not in my experience....

Bobby -

Sorry for the experience...there have been both file size and height-weight limitations. The height and width limit is in terms of pixels. I believe it was 1000 pixels wide by 800 pixels high.

Bobby -

Sorry for the experience...but file size is not just the factor for uploading pictures. There is a height and width limit in terms of pixels. I believe it was 1000 pixels wide by 800 pixels high.

OK so given that the error message is so generic as to be useless, where can I find the specs for a "proper" file format?

OK so given that the error message is so generic as to be useless, where can I find the specs for a "proper" file format?

When I upload a picture, on screen shows a table of accepted sizes for uploading pictures. This is part of it...I was wrong on JPGs...800 by 1000.

Attachments

• FileSizes.jpg
    FileSizes.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 75
Bobby -

Sorry for the experience...there have been both file size and height-weight limitations. The height and width limit is in terms of pixels. I believe it was 1000 pixels wide by 800 pixels high.

Picture in question is 342 x 194 pixels

Well, less than 200K and 342 x 194 pixels should be more than OK. Not sure why it's not working for you.

Email me the picture and I'll see if I can post it in a test section to see what might be going on.

When I upload a picture, on screen shows a table of accepted sizes for uploading pictures. This is part of it...I was wrong on JPGs...800 by 600.

Well, I am not "attaching a picture." I am uploading a profile picture. Maybe that is the difference. Apparently I am not alone on my opinion of vBulletin as I came across the comment below.

vBulletin 5.0 ? It?s Crap.
No comments ? Posted by Veritas in Internet Brands, vBulletin

Have you tried using vBulletin 5? It?s the worst written piece of crap I have ever seen in my life.

I have seen my fair share of poorly written applications in my lifetime, but this by far is the worst I?ve seen. This blunder makes vBulletin 4.0 look extremely well thought out. I would rather recommend an open source application that?s bug infested over vBulletin 5.

To name a few small problems:

Performance ? What the hell is going on? It?s slower than molasses. It is so slow even Internet Brands?s very own vBulletin staff have started complaining that the performance is pathetic.
Comments - Were the idiots even thinking when they implemented this? It is a black plague to communities. It will disrupt and destroy communities. It is also one of the worst possible implemented posts.
Bugs - vBulletin 5 is worst than a infestation of bed bugs.
Don?t buy it. Save your money. Save your pain. Save your frustration. Save your headaches.

If you wanted your money back, you could not get it back. People learned the hard way. Don?t let this happen to you.

Source: http://vbtruth.com/vbulletin-5-0-its-crap/493/

Bobby -

I think Profile and Avatar pictures had a 100 x 100 limit.

Well, I am not "attaching a picture." I am uploading a profile picture. Maybe that is the difference. Apparently I am not alone on my opinion of vBulletin as I came across the comment below.

Have you tried using vBulletin 5? It?s the worst written piece of crap I have ever seen in my life.

I have seen my fair share of poorly written applications in my lifetime, but this by far is the worst I?ve seen. This blunder makes vBulletin 4.0 look extremely well thought out. I would rather recommend an open source application that?s bug infested over vBulletin 5.

Performance ? What the hell is going on? It?s slower than molasses. It is so slow even Internet Brands?s very own vBulletin staff have started complaining that the performance is pathetic.
Comments - Were the idiots even thinking when they implemented this? It is a black plague to communities. It will disrupt and destroy communities. It is also one of the worst possible implemented posts.
Don?t buy it. Save your money. Save your pain. Save your frustration. Save your headaches.

If you wanted your money back, you could not get it back. People learned the hard way. Don?t let this happen to you.

WoW.....and we are trying to help :scratch
OM

We're running vB 4.2.2 not version 5.0. So, maybe we're not quite to that "crap" level? :laugh

Wow. Don't you think you're being a bit harsh on the people here? We got it. You're telling us not to buy vBulletin. (Not that I'm in the market) And the comment you found on the internet was five paragraphs and the only gripe that rhe poster articulated was that he thought it was slow. Chill.

Block Marketplace Threads?

After being offline for a few days, I returned and found four pages of threads with new posts. Perhaps two-thirds were single-post threads announcing an item for sale or trade or wanted in the Marketplace.

I found it tedious to go through these. Is there a user setting which will block these Marketplace threads?

David -

No, there's no way to block those notifications in the New Posts. What you're seeing is Ted, etal, moving some of the old flea market ads into the new marketplace. Once that's completed, the number of things like that should drop dramatically.

I took a jpg photo file and resized it to 300 X 300 pixels and it uploaded to my profile picture fine. I took the same picture and resized it to 100 X 100 pixels and it uploaded to my avatar fine. That seems to indicate the upload process is working as it should. The original picture in question was over these limits which probably caused the failure. Too bad the error message didn't point this out.

I took a jpg photo file and resized it to 300 X 300 pixels and it uploaded to my profile picture fine. I took the same picture and resized it to 100 X 100 pixels and it uploaded to my avatar fine. That seems to indicate the upload process is working as it should. The original picture in question was over these limits which probably caused the failure. Too bad the error message didn't point this out.

All good info :thumb I could not tell whether it ( op's problem) was from that new profile access I noticed off the home page or the actual problem was in the forum profile area. "Generally", if there is two options on this kinda deal, it's the smaller img that has the best chance of working in both areas.
I'm waiting to re-size mine......found it at the post office.....looks pretty good.....shows my best side. :D
OM

Back